Minor/Repaint: Premium Blackout Repaint

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by elbosenasoles, Apr 19, 2009.

1. elbosenasoles

elbosenasoles Doobie doobie doo

I got this figure this weekend and I was truly excited to get my hands on him (just started collecting). Upon freeing him from his package and transforming him to robot mode I was SO disappointed! He looked like complete crap. Now I wasn't expecting much as far as painting detail and I did buy him to repaint, but the level of crappiness of the mold/figure itself blew my mind. I knew he was a deluxe and not on par with the leader class size, but I expected him to at least appear as large as (premium) Ironhide. I suppose his overall height does compare to Ironhide's, but he looks like a midget next to him. I don't believe that Blackout's head is even as big as Ironhide's hand!

Anyway, let down by the shrunken toy version of towering Blackout here's my repaint. I do like him better now, though his smallness is still a pain to my eyes. (pic quality isn't too great, one day I'll drop the cash for a real camera!) The darker, alt mode pieces are gun metal and obviously the lighter shades are silver. Put some copper highlights here and there to make things stand out a bit more. I left his head alone, since it just seemed too small to even attempt to paint.

Attached Files:

• bo1.jpg
      bo1.jpg
      File size:
      81.6 KB
      Views:
    • bo2.jpg
      bo2.jpg
      File size:
      74.8 KB
      Views:
    • bo3.jpg
      bo3.jpg
      File size:
      76.2 KB
      Views:
    • bo4.jpg
      bo4.jpg
      File size:
      94.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Is this your first repaint? Coz it rocks!

3. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    It's really nice. It gives a bit more of a cartoon vibe.

iDD

4. bozz

bozz Active Member

nice work man! colours are perfect! Never Understood why he was painted blue...theres alot of things I didn't understand about this toy though...
    I was so disapointed to when I first got blackout I was looking forward to getting him so much but there are so many things that I dont like about this it. I was gutted! his one of my least favourite toys out of the movie line which is really sh*t since his one of my favourite characters in the movie

5. elbosenasoles

It's my second, the first was leader Megatron. Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated!

6. elbosenasoles

I know exactly what you mean, I hate his mold too! I actually don't mind him too much if you remove his back kibble in robot mode (prop blades and tail section), though doing so also begins to take away the feel of the toy being Blackout and reminds me more of a random mech type character....but he is more posable and fun this way.

7. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hope the ROTF Blackout won't be released in this aweful mold. My blackout was the original, and I painted him but still.... DAMN
    My fav Decepticon was a pitiful wreck of a toy... And premium just doesn't cut it.

8. elbosenasoles

Yeah, we can only hope for a newer/better version! Maybe if we put him next to some old go-bots he'll look good? lol Have any pics of your painted version?

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Sorry you didn't like the figure but the good thing about getting a figure you don't like is that it gives you the freedom to do whatever you want with no attachment. This repaint came out very cool.