Preferred Megatron voice

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundatron, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    I would have to go with Welker but Hugo did such a great job in the movie. i believe that Hugo hit right in the middle between David Kaye and Frank Welker. But to me Welker will always be megatron that scruffy voice i could listen to forever.

2. jqciaomama

jqciaomama LD Master

Ebay:
    David Kaye from Beast Wars. Yessssssssss... :thumb 

3. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    1)G1/Welker
    2)Animated/Burton
    3)BW/Kaye
    4)Movie/Weaving

Welker will always be Megatron.Noone will every replace him or take that away from him.

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Frank Welker IS Megatron. All others are pretenders to the throne (I like them, but they just don't have what Welker did).

'nuff said.

5. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

You have a very good point there. Once Weaving was cast I was expecting huge gossip for the movie outside of the TF community for his casting but there was none. I'd even figure Welker mighta been cheaper to hire I dunno.

6. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    For me it's all about Weaving, he sounds powerrful and smart, not an aged voice like what Welker made, I love Kaye, but his voice wasn't menacing enough.

7. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    frank is the true megatron often immitated never duplicated

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    G1 for me definitely...but I totally love David Kaye's work as Megatron as well. I thought Hugo Weaving did a decent job the small amount of lines he actually had...and with all due respect to Corey Burton I don't like his take on Megatron in Animated whatsoever.

9. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Welker then Kaye then Weaving for me.

In all fairness though, I can't see Welker voicing BW Megs and vice versa for Kaye; but Welker wins because of that maniacal laugh I will always love G1 Megs for.

10. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Amen Brother!

:thumb 

11. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Just imagine every voice talking dirty, and which ever one makes you lol the most is the greatest.

12. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, Frank Welkers voice would totally work in the movie. the thing with Welker is that he could very easily change the pitch of his Megatron voice. If it sounds to raspy for the movie, he could easily put less of the raspy voice into his lines and give it more deep snarls like Hugo Weaving did with Megatron.

For me my favourite Megatron voice actor would have to be Corey Burton because he can sound menacing while being calculating and smart at the same time.

My second favourite would be Frank Welkers Megatron because the sound he makes with Megatron is so unique. There has not been one Transformer that has sounded anything like G1 Megatron since the G1 series. Garry Chalk played G1 Megatron in one episode of Beast Wars (The Agenda), and I think he did a very good job.

Hugo Weavings voice would come next. To me his Megatron voice is not different enough from any other voice he uses movies. But then again I do like the sound of his voice - it just needed to be alot more different than his previous work for me to respect him as a voice actor. I do however like the snarl he has in one of his lines when speaking to Starscream. ''Where is the cube.''

David Kayes Megatron would come next on the list. I really liked his work in Beast Wars and Beast Machines and the voice totally worked with Megatrons look and personality in those two series.

My least favourite Megatron voice would have to be Daniel Riordan. I just could not stand his Megatron voice. I have heard that Neil Kaplan also played Megatron for about 3 episodes in the series but I never heard his Megatron voice for me to have a opinion of it.

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Ah, but you've neglected to mention two other Megatron voices from the vast TF mythos:

- The TF Readalong books from the 80's featured Earl Hammond--aka Mumm-Ra from Thundercats--as the voice of Megatron:

...fast forward to 4:40 to hear THE VOICE OF DOOM!

The last one definitely wins worst Megatron voice EVAR!!!11!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  14. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

My Favourite is definatly Kaye, i think he plays the smooth sophisticated character of Beast Wars Megatron very well.

Not growing up in the 80's i never really got into Welkers 40 a day interpretation.

Weavings Megatron sounds fearsome and pantos it up to the audience. the only problem with him is that one line.

"I Can smell you BOY!"

The movie being a Bayfest was full of some clunky dialogue, but that is the pinnacle LOL.

15. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Well for me nothing compares to the original, Welker helped create the character, gave him that military war machine tyrant that not only could kick ass if he had to, but had the mind to know what he was doing. I enjoy Kaye's Megs for BW MEgs which was a completely diffrent character, I mean they shared the same name and thirst for power but very diffrent. Weaving's sounded like a Welker rip off, kind of pointless, I didn't hate it but it just served no purpose to hire him when almost everyone wanted Welker but then again I never did think much of the live action movie. I do like Burton's Megs, definitely works for that rendition of the character but as stated, Welker will always be the Megatron I think of as the defining version.

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I agree with you. Weaving did have a generic tone to his voice. But what the heck; a generic voice for a generic Megatron. I look at Megatron as all around being nothing special.
    But anyway, I actually like Hugo Weavings voice and I think he would have had potential but for some reason he just didn't pull it off for this movie
    G1 Megs had a voice you could never forget even if you tried, and Bw Megs has a certain....I almost want to say glamor to his voice. He was this smart and sophisticated character.

17. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I found Weavings voice to be quit unrecognizable. Except for the part when Weaving says 'Is it fear or courage that compels you, boy.' At that point I stopped thinking Megatron and started thinking Agent Smith.

18. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Frank Welker corey burton is a close second for me

19. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I like Burton's voice but I prefer to have that methodical calculating voice for a char. like Shockwave.

20. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I liked Welker's voice best. Hugo Weavings sounded like any generic, deep male voice. Heck, I could pull off a deep bass too. Its not that hard. The really true sign of quality voice acting for Megs was that rasp. I would say 99% of the people couldn't do that rasp. Welker had that vocal aura that just said "don't mess with me". I get that same aura from Burton, minus the rasp, so he comes in 2nd.

I am not going to rank Weaving as I believe he was just a "Deep Male Voice 1" type of voice actor. Nothing special.

I loved the Beast Wars series, but I really thought Megs voice was out of place. All the yeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss and nooooooooo made me think Megs was mentally a ******. He sounded like a less crazy Gollum talking to himself. "Don't you think so preciousssss? Yessssss." It sounded like he was talking to himself.

Also, the ruthlessness that was portrayed so well by Welker was lost with Kaye. With Kaye, we got a pretty boy that seemed to be talking to himself.

One good thing tho - we could always as a fandom request for Welker to be Megatron again in TF2. Weaving had such a small role that he could easily be replaced. What do you guys think? Welker for Megatron, Part 2!