Preferred Megatron voice

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Soundatron, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

G1 - Frank Welker
    BW/Amarda/Energon/Cybertron - David Kaye
    Movie - Hugo Weaving
    Animated Series - Corey Burton

Nonetheless, each VA is very suiting to their incarnation of Megatron I could never picture David Kaye voicing Megatron in the movie, the presentation would be less than menacing. But overall, what is your preferred voice.
    For me it's a tie between Welker and Weaving, both voices have that scratchy effect and makes him sound well fearsome and monstrous. Nothing against Kaye's but his has somewhat of a aristocratic feel to it for me. I picutre his voice being lent more towards a villian like Lex Luthor, Xanatos or something. Something that is human nonetheless. I can't really comment on Burton's as of yet.

2. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

i like having different voices for different characters, so David Kaye is out.
    although he is the only one that fits beast megatron.

the movie is crap period

i would go with Welker, because megs sounds older.
    i do like animated megs voice, he sounds smart, for a dumd down toon.

3. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm really liking Burton's voice for Animated. Kaye's Beast Wars performance was also fantastic.

And they're all better than Welker's screechy 80s-cartoon voice. So glad they didn't use that for the movie. It would've sounded ridiculous.

5. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Beast Wars & Cybertron for me. David Kaye wins.

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I really like each different Megatron's voice for the series that had the actor create the voice from the ground-up. G1, Beast Wars, and Animated all have really special Megatron voices because the actor created the voice specifically for that character, and the care really shows.

I didn't like Armada/Energon/Cybertron Megatron's voice (or Prime's voice), because it sounded like BW Megatron doing his impression of someone else. Does that make sense? I really like David Kaye's acting, and his BW Megatron is 100% win, but he sounds so bored voicing A/E/C. Like he really needs the money and his heart isn't in it. Ditto with Chalk's Optimus Prime. Listening to BW and A/E/C is like night and day, and really shows you how much better it is when voices are acted round-robin without the need to match lip-flap.

I didn't like RID's voice very much. I like it better than A/E/C's Megatron...the actor sounds like he's having more fun that Kaye did for his own dub. My problem isn't with bad acting, but that the voice is so generic. It sounds just like the standard "bad guy" voice from 100 other anime dubs out there. At times, Megatron sounds just like Lord Zedd from Power Rangers.

Please don't hang me for this...but I didn't like Hugo Weaving's Megatron very much either. Please please please don't hang me...I thought his acting was kind of bad. First, his voice was beyond generic. It didn't sound all that different from Dr. Claw's voice, and all the processing took away anything special about Weaving's voice. (In fact, I'd wager that getting Welker to voice Megatron with the Dr. Claw voice would've yielded the exact same result once you add all the processing.)

With all the voice processing, I don't understand why it was even necessary to get Hugo Weaving when Welker, or Just Some Guy could've given the same performance. And the acting wasn't very good. I'm very aware that the voices were recorded separately, and it really shows with Megatron. Cullen's a pro at voice acting, and his conversations all sounded just like Optimus Prime really was chatting with Jazz, Ironhide, Sam, and friends. When Megatron talks, it sounds like Hugo is reading lines for maximum "coolness" and "soundbyte" potential, without Cullen's skill in making it sound like a part of the same conversation.

For example:
    Starscream: "I live to serve you, Lord Megat---"
    Megatron: "WHERE is the CUBE!?"

With the way Weaving says his line, it's obvious that it isn't from the same conversation. The line comes too soon after Starscream's line. If Megatron was supposed to sound impatient with Starscream, Weaving's voice didn't have the "I just interrupted you" quality. Whether Weaving or Adler recorded his voice first, it's obvious that some picking and choosing was happening, and it just sounds like two individually-recorded sound bytes. Like if you go to one of those Arnold Schwarzenegger sound-boards and pick two random sentences. Each sentence might be delivered badass, but if you're prank calling someone, it's quite clear from the voice intonation that these sounds aren't coming from the same conversation.

Either that, or Megatron has problems expressing the correct emotion. :) 

7. Soundatron

I agree on Chalk and Kaye in A/E/C the acting was just not there at all, but with the whole cast almost.

8. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

Weaving's Movie Megatron really had perfect middle ground between Welker's G1 voice and David Kaye in Beast Wars, without losing the strength's of either. Hugo was able to get that harsh, brute power that Welker had ("I am MEGATRON!", "MAGGOT!") and the more subdued, analytical and plotting voice of Kaye ("Is it fear or courage that compels you, fleashling?")

9. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Frank Welker. For obvious reasons - he actually had some personality, range & undeniable distinction with the voice work he supplied. I know it's cool for people to slag his work these days whenever comparing him to the other Megatron voice actors, but regardless of how "cartoony" he supposedly sounded, it's nevertheless a voice you always remember. He could sound totally insane while also sound calm & maniacal, all with a bit of a weathered age tone to help get across that this guy has been around the battle block for a looooong time. Plus he had "that laugh"... something I'll never get tired of hearing.

I love Corey Burton as a voice actor, but I'm still not feeling his take on Animated Megatron yet. Probably due to my preference of having Megs sound a little more tyrannical & obviously villainous as opposed to being calm, brooding & calculating. I'll give it some more time to see how/if it develops.

David Kaye, imo, will always be the absolute worst version of Megatron I have ever heard. He sounded like a tired 60 year old drag queen with a cold. A very "try hard" performance imo. I also think he gets a lot of default credit just because so many people liked the Beast Wars series as a whole. But on the flipside, I *do* like his voice work on Animated, so I no longer consider him one of the worst voice actors ever.

Hugo Weaving's version is just boring. Other than one solitary line in the movie - "I can smell you... boy!" - I thought he sounded way too much like just some average guy. Nothing necessarily evil or imposing - just some dude having a bad day. For being the supposed harbinger of all encompassing evil and universal domination, there was nothing about his voice to evoke that. Regardless of the movie's realistic theme, I think Megs could have definitely benefitted from having a more animated styling to his voice - anything to make it actually stand out. Starscream only had 2 lines but both of them were more memorable than anything Megatron said as far as I see it.

10. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Frank Welker is and always will be Megatron to me. Although, I do like Burton in Animated a lot. He sounds very evil and menacing, but intelligent at the same time. He's definitely a close second to Welker. Weaving was fine in the movie, but I still would have preferred Welker.

11. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    David Kaye's Beast Wars Megs.
    His "Yesssss" is just so darn addicting.

Welker is good too,
    but I prefer his other voices in G1 to Megatron.
    Probably because I didn't like Megatron's character too much in the G1 cartoon.

Out of the Unicron Trilogy I've only watched Galaxy Force in japanese.
    I thought Nakata was a pretty good Megatron. He sounded like the old leader that the character was.

Overall I think each voice actor fitted their Megatron's character pretty well.
    The only exepction being A/E/C, but they were less then good DUBs in the first place.

12. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Welker all the way. ;) 

13. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    Gary Chalk

^_^

14. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Corey Burton FTW.

15. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

G1 Welker is my vote

16. Soundatron

he never voiced Megatron

But wow, never knew so many ppl dissapproved of Hugo Weaving.

17. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Yes he did, he was G1 Megs in the Agenda (on the message on the Golden Disk that BW Megs shows Ravage)

18. Soundatron

Interesting, my apologies.

19. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    At the time of the movie, Hugo Weaving's take on a monstrous Megatron was my favourite.

Then Animated came along with Corey Burton's cold, calculating and unyielding Megatron. My current fave.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    BW (David Kaye) Megs.

No other voice is "Megatron" to me.