Predictions/Wants for Botcon 2008

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by gen1fan, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Yeah, ok but to me that's almost like saying they shouldn't have done BotCon Classics, at the risk that they'll never ever be made, because you don't like it. ..It's not the same, but you get me? I think Sunstorm's cool. It's a repaint, you want it, get it, if not, check it off along with all the other repaints you don't like. Some of us still want it. :) 

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I have to agree with this. I've heard a lot of people complain about repaints. If you really think about it, it's either we get repaints, or not as many new molds, and possibly longer periods of down time between toy lines. Honestly, you aren't being forced to buy these things, so I don't see why people complain when a mold is used more than once.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It's nowhere near the same, man. Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust are original g1 characters; Sunstorm isn't. Sunstorm is no-one. As I said he exists solely for the purpose of repaints. So does BugBite, and I couldn't stand him either. I had no nostalgic connection to either of them at all.
    I have no problem with repaints as long as they are imaginative ones; if I did I wouldn't get any Botcon exclusives. But creating a character purely to make a repaint? Crappy as hell. The only thing that even comes close to that on my crapometer is repainting a Prime either white or black.

4. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind seeing a Sunstorm at retail at some point in the future. Hasbro have shown themselves willing to do Sunstorm repaints at retail in the past so I see no reason for them not to reuse a very good mould next year. While I loath the whole demigod status he has been bestowed with (though I admit I've never read any fiction for him, just the idea of it), I'm happy to own a repaint of an extra from the cartoon series, though I'd prefer the green one.

But as Hasbro have been willing to do such repaints in the past I'd rather not see Sunstorm used as one of FP 13 yearly exclusives. I'd much rather see them do repaints as existing characters that Hasbro wouldn't consider doing.

Still hoping for Slicer next year.

5. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

It's the same from a certain point of view. At least Sunstorm is closer to G1 then Bugbite. :)  He's based on an animation coloring error (eh, eh?)! But I do get your point. Repaints are ok as long as they're in the G1 bible. Me, I'm after characters and color schemes.

Sunstorm ("not G1 mostly") has developed an interesting, if overambitious, character and I love his colors because they're unconventional. Bugbite ("not G1") is a Gobot and doesn't really hold to Decepticon ideals, so I'm a bit ambivalent as he doesn't "fit" well. Soundblaster ("G1"), is virtually a non-character to me, because he's had almost no backstory in the US and he's just a black Soundwave in Japan. I also happen to like Scourge/Nemesis Primes - not all of them, but several ones. I could go on but I don't need to, my point is made.

Anyway, you can look at it your way and that's cool, but remember I wasn't born in time for G1 and missed a lot of G2, so nostalgia is basically moot for me (BW is something else, but there were so many non-show characters that I still like, repaints and all...). So that leaves us no where, D. Ultimately, it's all in the hands of Hasbro and Fun Pub. We shall see what happens. Maybe you will get your wish, maybe not.

I eagerly await some cool repaints whether they'll be retail or exclusive or whatever.

6. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Inspired by a post in PrimeConvoy1's Mirage thread...Anyone want to predict or list their wants for next BotCon's toys? Guests? etc?
    Never been to one so I have no clue, but for those who have, what do you think/want next year to bring?

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Repaints of the animated line and/or more classics will be the exclusives.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Botcon toys are almost always based on the the previous year's toyline. Expect movie toys

9. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

I heard a rumor of a Cityformer as an exclusive.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Unfortunetly, I can see next years set being another Classics themed set. Although, if it is, this is what I would want it to be. Especially if I'm able to at least save up enough money to get a non-attendee set.

2008 Botcon Set:
    -Wing Saber (Cl. Jetfire)
    -Wheeljack (En. Downshift)
    -Goldbug (Cl. Bumblebee)
    -Wheelie (Cl. Bumblebee)
    -Seaspray (Cy. Shortround)

Attendee Freeby:
    -Ghost Starscream (Cl. Starscream)

Others:
    -Apeface & Snapdragon (Cy. Soundwave & Sidways)
    -Sunstorm & Ravage (Cl. Starscream & En. B.Ravage)

Repaint Class:
    -Ramhorn (Cy. Backstop)

Edit: List posted twice due to merge.

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the main set, I'd take a redeco'ed set of the eight real gear molds in a box with some Don Fig artwork.

Ooh, I'm all tingly just thinking about it. :lol 

12. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod Larzzing on twitter!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The seekers from the animated toy line.
    animated megatron as dreadwing.
    animated BB as bugbite.

Botcon 2008 exlusives: Lets piss them off again.

13. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Longarm as Hoist, maybe? Spyshot with a remolded head as Reflector? C. Downshift as Wheeljack? (Seems unlikely that they'd use the Energon Downshift mold, seeing as how it is essentially already painted like Wheeljack).

Movie Skywarp?

I'd also predict that at some point we'll see the upcoming Classics Sideswipe mold repainted as Red Alert.... but the probably won't even be out by next Botcon, much less into repaint territory.

14. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    As has been stated several times in more official venues, most of the movie toys (although not quite all, especially smaller stuff like the Real Gear toys) are off-limits due to various contractual obligations.

Normally, this statement would hold true, although I might still add the caveat that "Most" BotCon toys are based on the previous year's toyline (only a subtle change from what you said, I know), since FP has demonstrated a willingness to go outside of the most recent year for at least one toy for each of the years they've had the license.

15. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Do any cityformer molds even still exist? How long ago was that Japanese Trypticon remold done?

16. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Repaints/Molds I'd like to see:

Sunstorm
    Ghost of Starscream
    Runamuck and Runabout using the BB mold with new heads and weapons(no jet skis please)

What will it be, probably none of the above sadly.

17. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Seems to me that there are enough Movie toys that are not licensed vehicles to make a Botcon set with extras. It means we won't see any Topkicks or F22s, but I think this is close to what we'll see:

2008 Botcon Set:
    - Cyclonus (Voyager Megatron with ice removed and new head)
    - Grimlock (Movie Wreckage with a remolded head)
    - Elita-1(Movie Arcee)
    - Hoist (Movie Longarm)
    - Soundwave (Movie Dropkick)

Attendee Freebie:
    - Protoform Bumblebee (Movie Protoform Optimus with the Deluxe 70's BB head on it)

Others:
    - Blaster (Real Gear Power Up) & Reflector (Real Gear Spy Shot 6)
    - Shockwave (Movie Payload with remolded gun arm) & Thrust (Movie Dreadwing)

Repaint Class:
    - Black Zarak (Movie Scorponok)

18. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    This is where I'll need to defer to someone who knows more, but the impression I had was that licensed vehicles were not the only conflict. If Paramount's or Dreamworks' logo appears on the packaging, it's probably not viable for FP reuse.

19. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I didn't even think of that; you might be right. That's too bad, because there are some movie toys that have really good potential.

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    One thing that I've noticed, is that they've gotten a pretty good pattern going of a year with the main set being good guys, and then the next year the main set being bad guys, and then the year after that hte main set being good guys, etc. I personally think that next years main set will be Autobots/Maximals.