Predictions and Templates of the Transformers Movies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by 8bitboy, Aug 30, 2016.

1. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

So off my head I compiled a list of the most common similarities every Transformers movie shares. Not knocking on the movies too much but just having fun with identifying the template they've used over the years and attempting to make predicitions based on the information provided to us as of 30/08/2016 about what TF5 could probably give us.

I believe that this list can be built on since off my head the information below is fairly basic (though effective, considering each films' success). As I identify other similarities I'll just add a little thing here or there. Again just having fun with the material and not attempting to rag on it too much.

Admittedly though, it could do with a newer direction.

Transformers (2007)

McGuffin: Allspark

Link to the Past: Explorer Archibald Witwicky in 1895.

Damsel: Sam Witwicky. Mikaela's main squeeze. Saves him a bunch.

Major set piece stage: Mission City (But seriously, LA)

Cavalry: Optimus Prime finally arrives on the battlefield after dispatching Bonecrusher on the highway. He takes on Megatron, gets his ass handed to him but still wins through the intervention of Sam using the All Spark.

Intervening Ally: Sam Witwicky

Big Bad: Megatron (Dies)

Original Autobot Team Member Death: Jazz

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

McGuffin: The Matrix

Link to the Past: Ancient Human Hunters in 17,000 B.C.

Damsel: Mikaela Banes. Sam's main squeeze.

Major set piece stage: Cairo, Egypt (Ok not a city but still bound with historical importance)

Cavalry: Early in the film Optimus gets murdered by Megatron. Sam then successfully resurrects him with the Matrix. With the sacrifice and aid of Jetfire, Optimus, again, swoops in and saves everyone by killing The Fallen and grievously injuring Megatron.

Intervening Allies: Sam Witwicky and Jetfire

Big Bad: The Fallen (Dies) (Megatron is revived but still lurks)

Original Autobot Team Member Death: Optimus Prime (Gets revived)

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)

McGuffin: Pillars

Link to the Past: Crew of Apollo 11 in 1961

Damsel: Carly Spencer. Sam's main squeeze.

Major set piece stage: Chicago

Cavalry: Optimus Prime again. Right after he gets untangled from the annoying wires from the wreckage in the city he once again swoops in, mercs a ton of Decepticons, and then gets his ass handed to him by Sentinel. Megatron intervenes, injures Sentinel but is also killed by Optimus for his troubles. Optimus later executes Sentinel saving the day of course.

Intervening "Ally": Megatron

Big Bad: Sentinel Prime (Dies) (Megatron dies again but he's lurking anyway.)

Original Autobot Team Member Death: Ironhide

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)

McGuffin: Seeds

Link to the Past: 65 Million Years Ago, an alien race invades prehistoric Earth wiping out some of its life.

Damsel: Tessa Yeager. Shane's squeeze. He saves her a bunch.

Major set piece stage: Hong Kong

Cavalry: Optimus Prime of course. After getting separated from Hound and Bumblebee, Optimus, Drift and Crosshairs recruit the Dinobots and massacre the KSI bots in Hong Kong. Optimus battles Lockdown, gets his ass handed to him by Lockdown, Lockdown is distracted by Cade and Optimus delivers the final blow. Sound familiar?

Intervening Ally: Cade Yeager

Big Bad: Lockdown (Dies) (Megatron lurks... as Galvatron)

Original Autobot Team Member Death: Ratchet

Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)

McGuffin: Currently unknown but extremely likely.

Link to the Past: King Arthur in Late 5th - early 6th Century A.D... presumably.

Damsel(?): British Actress, Laura Haddock? I’m reaching here but it’s a good reach. She's probably going to be Cade's main squeeze. Probably.

Major set piece stage: Toss up between London and Detroit. My bet’s on London.

Cavalry: You can bet your ass it’s Optimus Prime.

Intervening Ally: Most likely

Big Bad: Megatron (Dies maybe for good this time) (He's probably not lurking this time... maybe)

Original Autobot Team Member Death (?): Bumblebee... but won't happen with the announcement of the Bumblebee movie. Bummer.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

One thing I seriously doubt will happen is Megatron dying. They have a TFCU now. With Megatron back I seriously doubt they would kill him off instantly. Maybe in the final film in the TFCU they will, but it won't be soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 8bitboy

That's a good point. We'll see how they treat him this time around.

4. Galvatross

By the way, you did a really good job putting together that information.

I personally suspect a few of the Decepticons will survive this film to become menaces or perhaps even eventually become anti-heroes against other threats in future films. Megatron is almost certainly one, Barricade and Onslaught may be others, and perhaps there are other bad guys we don't know yet.

5. 8bitboy

Thanks man. It always irked me how similar the movies were. I needed to know what made them not stand out from each other as much as, say, the Star Wars films do. So I compiled this list to sort of prove that they could do a lot better with future films.

Let someone else lead the cavalry. Maybe have our heroes focus on something more than a Mcguffin in order to save the day like saving a land or an idea... ok maybe that last one was too deep. Let the bad guy live in the end. Do something new instead of making another connection to the past. I really want more to be done with future films than more of the same.

About Decepticon anti-heroes or Decepticons surviving for later stories I can't really say. I'm horrible at making actual predictions about these things because my ideas tend to flow into fan fiction territory. We almost think way too highly and more creatively than the people making the movies. They like it better when they're "holding hands" with the audience so to speak. They can't really trust us to take a complex idea and run with it if you get my meaning. Simpler is better I guess :( 

6. Wolf

Wolf old school bot

Can't everyone see, megatron is thanos. Unicron will be galactus. Megs won't die and he will end up walking off into the sunset....eventually.

7. 8bitboy

Lolol. Interesting analogy :D 

8. Galvatross

The reason I mentioned Decepticons potentially becoming anti-heroes is because of the last film. Before the last film it was Autobots, Decepticons, and humans. Now there have been neutral Cybertronian bounty hunters. The Creators have been hinted at. They think the balance of things at the galactic and cosmic levels have been screwed up by different species interacting with each other, and based on Lockdown's words throughout the film I think he means the Autobot-Decepticon war has ravaged the universe and brought other worlds besides Cybertron into conflict. The Creators have marked both sides for destruction, so perhaps sooner or later some Decepticons at least will see they have a greater enemy than the Autobots.

Additionally, it's likely the Creators have many other minions, allies, and weapons we haven't seen yet. This could include Knights they have captured and now control. This could include G2-inspired Cybertronians or Star Seekers or Sharkticons or even Unicron.

Either way, the Decepticons are certainly not the only villains out there, nor will every future villain be on good terms with Megatron.

9. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that is so true.

at this point, a movie with a plot revolving around robots rather than humans would be a nice start. after that, they can work on the actual story.

i also think their ability to transform has been grossly underutilized.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

At this point Megatron has been back from the dead so many times he's the Jason Voorhees of Transformers. Or the episode of Animated where Starscream kept getting killed and coming back.

You would think after the first time of oops we actually kind of need Megatron they would say okay time to stop killing him off, but if they haven't learned by now then there is at least a chance he will be killed in movie 5 and then back in movie 7. I'm guessing since movie 6 is the Bumblebee movie they will use some other Decepticon.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

On the bright side, they can't kill off another original Autobot cast member, leaving out one element of repetition. The only members of the original team still around are Optimus Prime (we all know how the franchise fared when they killed him off the first time back in 1986) and Bumblebee (kid-appeal character, has his own solo movie, and in my opinion, the ONLY consistently likable character in all of the movies). Then again, they're bringing Hot Rod into the movies, which makes Optimus dying (for good this time) and being succeeded by Rodimus Prime a likely possibility.

While I do expect The Last Knight to be another mindless but fun explosion-fest, I do think we may get some changes plot-wise. I am expecting a damsel in distress and another McGuffin, but I doubt they'll kill off Megatron again. They seem to at least be trying to go in a new direction, story-wise. I think they might have Megatron step out of the corner and be the main Decepticon again, and I think, with four other Decepticons appearing around a lot, I think they might actually have at least one or two of them somewhat developed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 8bitboy

On not killing off another Autobot member and not relying on repetition, sure ok. That's one good thing. But still there is so much they can do to save this franchise. I'm not too sure they're going to ever kill off Optimus Prime for good for anyone. I believe he's going to be a mainstay. They have a tendency to relate characters in name alone. The description they gave for Rodimus is that he's a hot head who happens to be Bumblebee's brother in arms. He sounds more like Cliffjumper than Rodimus.

Like you, I do expect The Last Knight to be yet another mindless explosion-fest. However, I'm a bit doubtful we'll get anything different plot-wise even with a room full of writers. There will be a damsel in distress, another McGuffin, and maybe, just maybe they won't kill off Megatron again. I can't say for sure what they're trying to do in terms of differentiating this from previous installments in the franchise but so far they don't seem to be deviating all that much. If the Decepticons are the main threat with Megatron at the helm again, sure ok... I guess. But if they become anti-heroes like Galvatross suggested, that could be interesting.

DOTM Bee, I want to be proven so wrong about this. I WANT to be wrong! I'd hate to be right again for this one.

13. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think we will lose at least one Autobot this movie. Seeing none died last movie, I can see at least one Bot death. Maybe even a Dinobot or 2.

14. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Senior Robotic Citizen

News Credits:
    ^^^RIP Ratchet

15. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    It's kinda funny how each movie is a copy/paste style from the last.

We may never have a movie where the bad guys win, but I do agree Optimus doesn't always need to save the day.

It's time to pass the torch to Rodimus or Ultra Magnus.
    I'm hoping all the mcguffins will have a purpose in the last Knight
    Unfortunately there's a lot of expectations and questions with the new movie but I'm not going to hold my breath again.

16. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Hot Rod is described as a brash Autobot warrior, which could mean anything. Hot Rod was impulsive and reckless in the 1986 movie, so that about fits, and making him friends with Bumblebee at least gives us some sort of dynamic between two Transformers, which the movies have been so desperately in need of.

Maybe, maybe not. I guess all we can do is wait and see. And the Decepticons as anti-heroes alongside the Autobots does sound interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dillatron

Dillatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Obviously Primes going to swoop down and save the day again, it wouldn't be a Transformers film without that happening.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 8bitboy

Lol. I haven't seen the movie (don't plan to) or a single trailer, but I don't need to! Going to do that update I was talking about with this template to prove what I had been saying since 2016. Below I have updated the info from 2016 with the correct details. Make of this what you will but from my POV, glad I dodged this bullet.

Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)

McGuffin: Merlin's Staff

Link to the Past: Merlin, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table in Late 5th - early 6th Century A.D.

Damsel: Viviane Wembly (and she is Cade's main squeeze)

Major set piece stage: Cybertron. Hmm. England did happen somewhere in there, though.

Cavalry: As predicted Optimus yet again. On their assault on Cybertron, Optimus flies ahead of his team for no reason and make them wait for a long time before reappearing again in stylish fashion riding some other character called Dragonstorm... is this like deja vu? Optimus pwnts Megatron into space, distracts Quintessa and let's Bumblebee back attack her assisting in winning the day.

Intervening Ally: Bumblebee (twas a distraction!)

Big Bad: Quintessa... Didn't see her coming. Megatron, on the other hand, doesn't die this time (thank God) but he does what he does best: he lurks.

Original Autobot Team Member Death (?): Canopy? Look, they weren't gonna off Bumblebee so...