Heavy/Scratch: Predaking

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by thyvipera, Mar 23, 2009.

1. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

Ok everyone, the sour news first. Predaking DOES NOT transform. My deepest apologies to those who were looking forward to a combiner.

I don't have the time to put into a combining Predaking right now, but I'm hoping to start on him soon.

This was inspired by Sculpt Bots Devastator. Every since I saw that badboy, I've wanted to make an "articulated sculpture."

The pros about Predaking are:

AWESOME articulation
    LED Eyes
    A HUGE arm cannon with 8 different firing sounds
    His arm cannon also has 4 firing missiles
    And he has 2 rocket launchers on his wings

Predaking is just over 20 inches tall, he's a beast :) 

I hope you guys enjoy,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      269.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      252.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      265.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      249.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      483.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      264.1 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      263.7 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      349.8 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      242.4 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      401.3 KB
      Views:
  2. L_K

L_K Decepticon

Ebay:
    Nevermind. Maye you can present Predaking in another approch next time. It is sweet anyway.

3. Magmatron22

Magmatron22 HADOUKEN!!!

dose it transform?

Edit: woops stupid question

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    i like it!

5. tylerzero

tylerzero Active Member

The only critique I have is that the proportions are kinda lanky...

...but that's a minor one compared to the overall awesomeness this is!

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Awesome!

7. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I hate to say this but I'm not digging this at all.
    Now let me explain why.

First off, I have no issue with him not transforming.
    The lack of Razorclaw is a huge minus imo, Rampage's limb transformation looks really odd (granted it's just backwards to to his normal limb for Predaking) it just look like he's hanging on in cat mode. I would have like to have seen you build upon the G1 Predacon parts that are not still part of a bot (ie, Heads & wings) they just look to small with all the "Primacron" parts added. I do like what you have done with Headstrong & Tantrum, inverting them is a really nice touch & I think adds some bulk to the lower body that the upper body is missing. Also, it seems as if you overlooked some alot details to give more spotlight to the drybrushing, he just seem overly orange. In the end (for my taste) it's just not brutish enough.
    I'm sorry if I seem like I'm ripping you a new screwhole. But being the "Predacon Whore" I am, I've come to expect lot from a Predaking bash. My only hope is that you can take what I've said and apply it to a combined Predaking & blow my mind.

8. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

hope so bro, thanks

:) 

thanks mike, someday, unicrons will take over the world :) 

thanks man, and thanks for the criticism. i agree that the proportions are a bit lanky, but I didn't want to bulk him up too much, considering he poses as a predator, being a lean, fast, killingbot machine.

Thanks for the criticism bro. I don't really like the lack of razorclaw either. He's in there, but is covered with armor. When I started this project, I didn't really have an idea of an end result, so I played it by ear as I went along. Divebomb's wings have about a 2 1/2 inch extension to them. I orignally wanted them a lot wider, but in order for that, I would have had to build a new set of wings. And for my personal taste, I wanted Predaking to be kind of lean and not very bulky. And I agree about the "orange", I think it's a tad too much. And yea, it's totally cool man, no screwhole rippage here ;) 

When I do the Predaking combiner, I'll be sure and try to make you proud, maybe even have your input throughout the kitbash and callaborate if you'd be interested.

9. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i share this opinion. his body and arms are lanky, but it's overall awesome!

10. Darth Grimlock

Darth Grimlock Banned

Ebay:
    I'm digging it and looking forward to the combiner version.

11. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    I like it Daniel! Best part, you get a Transformer who does kicks as well! Hope to see a transformable one soon though. And...what do you think about panel lining them? SInce it's in orange, those gundam markers will bring out more details in 'em.

12. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I kind of agree with Nemesis Predaking, he is a bit on the orangish/lanky side. I kind of like to think of Predaking as a more stout, mean-down-and-dirty gestalt with a lot of fury.

However, that's where the critique stops. Even if he doesn't transform, you more than made up for it with the features. I love the head sculpt, it really captures the figure, and was the first thing I was drawn to. The missile launchers on the wings, the sound chip, etc, that's all just icing. You did an awesome job, and I would be awed to see him on a shelf.

13. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Now I can see why you went the way you did here...correct me if I’m wrong but this guy towers over the other guys you made right? I would have done the same because I feel that Predaking always needed to be bigger than the rest and well, you hit him. Was he any easier to do since you didn't have to have him combine and all because to me, it looks like he still took a lot of prep/planning.

I love his size, articulation, and colors. He looks like quite a display piece. Great Job D!

When you hit up your next guy, I would stick with the basic pattern you have here...seems to be working IMO, but tweak a few things. When I try my hand at him(i.e. when I get a hold of 200+ dollars to buy another one of him) I may use your pattern but try to:
    1) Maybe hold out unicron's forearms (the ones that act as the chest piece) to hide the small parts of the shoulder joints.
    2) I always thought of Predaking as this gorilla. I may try to shave 2 inches off him overall (take away from the torso/ankles area) to give him that more gorilla look that the G1 toy screams.
    3) I’ll have to hit up turboedguy to see how to articulate the individual bots/blocks. He kicks ass in that department.

Does anyone know if they make a plastic knockoff of this guy?

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, they make a KO version - which is possible to find complete under $100 USD. Which is what I am using.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  15. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

:bay :bay :bay 

16. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very cool. I don't mind the non-transforming aspect, and I think you've captured the essence of Predaking.

17. StuntPrime35

StuntPrime35 Dreads for life

News Credits:
    What do you think of this predaking line up?
    Razorclaw=Cybertron Leobreaker mold
    Divebomb=Energon Divebomb
    Rampage=Armada Cheetor
    Headstrong=Armada Rhinox
    Tantrum=Beast Machines Longhorn

Most of them are normal choices, but let me explain on Divebomb and Tantrum. Divebomb's legs, which helpfully happen to be his wings can split off from the torso easily and so can provide the wings at the back of Predaking while still being the shoulder with the rest of his beast mode. Beast Machines Longhorn is a little gem, found out about him from a fellow customiser who was apparently doing Predaking, but stopped and was using the guy for Tantrum. I believe he is the only Ox Transformer out there apart from the original Tantrum.

18. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

thanks guys

hehe, kicking some autobot butt. I bought some gundam markers online the other night actually :) 

thanks bro, he's going to the buyer of my superion, menasor, and defensor (almost finished), so I'm excited to see them all together.

thanks Andrew. yea, he's pretty tall. I'm almost finished with Defensor, and while Defensor is huge, Predaking still stands a lot taller. I'm also working on a Devy as a commission, and he looks tiny compared to Predaking. I should have a group shot posted by the end of the weekend.

And yes, like F_R said, you can buy a KO Predaking a lot cheaper. I used a KO as well, I think I paid $70.00 shipped from China. And there's a seller on these boards that has them for around $70.00 as well. I'll be ordering 2-3 of them soon, if you would like to get one with my order to save on shipping, it's cool with me. These are coming from China as well, and the quality is pretty good.

thanks man :) 

personally, I'm not familiar with the molds, so thanks for giving some names that would work for them :)  I'm going to check them out, and they sound like great choices.

And when I personally make a combining Predaking, I origanally wanted to reshell the G1 bots, but maybe there's another route to go.

19. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I have to respect the amount of skill that went into making this one bro. Definitely a great job with the paint and the bash itself. It just doesn't say "Predaking" to me. There isn't enough mass to his torso. Great job with the weapons and wings, though...and Im looking forward to the next PK. :thumb 

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Looking at the pics of like the 4th time....
    I think adding more black and a solid red in lots of the parts will bring this all together, and pull it off better.

In the areas which you want to trim from, add black. the areas you want more prominent (waist) add some red areas. You'll be amazed what colors can pull off optically.