Customs: Predaking Sword by Darkov and Superquad7

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, this has been a LONG time coming, but I was finally able to take a few snapshots of this Predaking sword that Darkov made for me. Just a little history behind this piece, if you're interested:

My best friend knew I had just gotten back into Transformers, and told me one day that he had something at the bottom of his closet that he wanted me to "make sure I take good care of". Having my curiosity aroused, I met up with him to see what's up. He handed me this Predaking that you see in the photo shoot. It had all that it needed to combine, but it had none of the individual robot's weapons. Back before any reissues and such, I knew that it would have been a while before I would have been able to acquire a complete Predaking. Needless to say, I flipped out I was so excited. I assured him I would make good on my end of the bargain (and I hope that you guys can vouch for me that I have based on these photos taken nearly a decade later). Well, you can imagine one of the first things I wanted to do: give Predaking a sword!

Well, I was at a Salvation Army one day, and was looking through this huge toy bin. I found a G1 Optimus Prime cab (in relatively good shape!) and two Power Ranger swords, and about five other little parts. After I paid my $0.25 for the lot (!), I felt I had my sword! After getting home, the sword wouldn't fit, so I took a knife and shaved down the hilt. The only other thing I did prior to this point with "customizing" was reassemble my G1 Ironhide after I unpacked my collection (how it was in pieces but wasn't broken, I still don't know). It was gray, but I was satisfied. I mean, I was only out a fraction of a quarter and a little bit of trimming!

Enter Darkov (years later of course!): he and I became good friends pretty quickly via his involvement here and us just talking about our hobby. I told him about this sword and some things I wanted tweaked on it. As he listened, I said that I wanted it gold for starters, and I wanted the hilt fixed to make it more refined. One of my favorite aspects of this sword has always been that the hilt went all the way through the fist and out the bottom, where it looks like he's actually holding it. Darkov graciously took on my request, and my delight ensued.

After getting some parts back from him, this finally came! I think the photos can begin to show that he did an exceptional job taking care of what I was looking for! For me, this was really fun, as it takes a long stretch of my Transformers collecting history, involves a good friend, and creates a new piece entirely. Again, thanks a lot, Darkov; your work is much appreciated!

I hope you enjoy my photos here (Just give 'em a few seconds to load) :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

It needs to be sharper, as the flat edges really make it look like a toy sword and not a Predaking evil sword of death.

Other than that, nice job to the both of ya. :) 

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, I forgot to mention that one of the reasons I like the original mold of the sword is that it DOES look like a toy. I can see your point, though.

4. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

But the idea of Predaking bludgeoning someone to death with his massive flat-edged sword is pretty visceral on it's own...:D 

5. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

you can just say that from mega cycles of battle the blades edges became that way from the numerous bots he had destroyed. instead of sharpening to end his foes in one swift slice he uses it to punish his enemy, and takes time to enjoy thier pain and anquish from each smashing blow.

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    :ev: 

:) 

Yeah, I think you guys can tell I'm not bothered by the level of sharpness of the sword. My goal was to create something that we might would have seen from Hasbro on this scale. I don't think we'd see a sharper blade coming from Hasbro back then, and especially not now (Legends Megatron with an orange cap anyone?).

Regardless, the history of the piece is what means more to me than anything. It's a culmination of my Transformers hobby collecting and on-line friendship with Darkov. :) 

7. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

this is awesome

8. Grepicon

Grepicon Well-Known Member

Pretty cool, I agree that our bots all need some bigger swords, and sometimes even guns. Congrats on coming full circle on this bad boy

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks a lot, man! Yeah, I was just always aggravated that Predaking's "sword" was only Razorclaw's. That was before I even had any of those swords! Last year, I finally completed my Predaking with all its weapons. Then I got this sword back. :)