Customs: Predaking. Everyone else is posting theirs, i just jumped on the bandwagon. (Help!)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Hey guys, as some of you know, i am in Hong Kong right now, so i'm off kitbashing for a while. However, i am now gathering my supplies for the next year or two of kitbashing, and one of the projects i want to tackle is a Predaking, because Mench0y's was so bloody awesome.

Now, i'm not going with the full blown tall-as-a-child Predaking, each Predacon i'll build at between Scout and Deluxe class. I've recently found a source for Zoids BraveJaguar, ridiculously cheap, and a crapload in stock. Brave Jaguar, with the one i have now, i know i can mod to make Razorclaw, Rampage, Headstrong and Tantrum without much trouble, and tracking down a Divebomb-esque Zoid won't be too hard.

The problem is, i don't know what Transformer to use as a base figure. I'm thinking a scout of some sort, but it seems Activators Grimlock are scarce. Do you guys have any ideas for what woul be god to use as a base? I can't for the life of me figure out what would be on the shelves today and yet still good for bashing. To be fair, i haven't kept up with the latest lines, so i was hoping smeone out there with more information could help.

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

First off, I just want to say that Brave Jaguar is a great pick for Rampage. I wish the Zoids Blox/NeoBlox line wasn't cancelled in America. Such a great line.

Anyway, I think Energon Ravage might work for a base. At the very least for his torso, which has a very Rampage-y transformation- just turned around.

3. Treadshot A1

Hmm, that's a good suggestion, kusanagi. Ravage popped into my mind as well, however I was really hoping for something that was on the shelves now, so I could simply buy one with ease. For the time being I'm thinking Gen Thrust, as without the wings and nosecone, it's practically a robot that turns into a rectangular brick.

Anyways, I was going to wait to release this, but to celebrate my new iPad, I want to document some of my ideas. Keep in mind that this is just a draft/first plan, so names are just running code names, subject to change.

Dash Predacons/Predashogun

Backstory: The combiner project was overall a failure for the Decepticons. Devastator was too dumb, Menasor a nut job, and Abominus had Blot. The closest they ever came to success was Predaking, relatively stable for the melding of the five individual minds, a natural candidate for the next stage of combiner testing.

The result is Predashogun, the combined form of the Dash Predacons. Team leader Razorclaw, probably the most normal of the five, now shares a common frame with all four other members, a design change Decepticon engineers theorised would improve stability. Indeed it did, the ubiquitous hardware easy for the processor to handle, and Headstrong and Tantrum rejoiced, acquiring new, carnivorous alt modes.

(I'll add more to the backstory asi I think of stuff)

4. Treadshot A1

Torso is from thrust, arms do not fold in anymore. Remove hands, attach to back of front paws. Lower foreleg glued into thrust arm cavity. Upper fowler armour( the blue piece) is attached to thrust shoulder using existing peg socket ( 5mm). Remove nosecone completely, discard. Insert blox joint to remaining slot where nosecone used to clip in place, glue and secure. Attach neck and head assembly to joint. Next, remove longest pn that oes widthwise across thrust body, and remove back part which now has had and neck attached. Take out ball joints by removing screw (these are the joints that are used to hold the legs on). remove legs from joint, then keep legs retracted. Attach smallest blox part in torso, cut extra room as necessary. Make sure sock side is facing out the back. Attach middle size blox joint to this socket, and build brave jaguar back half as normal. Remove the back feet. Take thrust legs, remove wings (keep the rocket thrusters nozzles) and attach these to the back legs using the cavity from the now unnecessary ball joint in thrust leg. Cut thrust foot off, keep hinge intact, replace foot with back paw.*

Mods done, move on to combiner work.*

(these are the current plans for how to mod Rampage. I would post pics but it would be pointless since I can't actually do any mod ding yet, these are just my plans after some very basic mock ups. Hope this makes sense to anyone reading this, I kinda did this as a stream of consciousness thing, so Im not sur it's even understandable to anyone else but me, lol)

5. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Dude I had a similar idea where Headstrong and Tantrum became a Wolf and a Tiger or some other carnivore.

6. Treadshot A1

Hmm, wolf huh? That's a nice idea.

For me, I'm going with a Gojulas Head, so it's more a T-Rex style head, but I'm going to add horns to the head to be reminiscent of the original G1 Preds, either a single horn for Headstrong and two bull horns for Tantrum.

7. roadblaster

roadblaster Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So a Carnotaurus for Tantrum and a Ceratosaurus for Headstrong??

8. Treadshot A1

Heh, when I was younger I knew every bloody dinosaur, but now I've forgotten them all, so I have no idea. As long as those two are both Carnivores then I'm happy.

However, I'm not really looking for biological accuracy, I just wanted to get a head with pointy teeth for Tantrum and Headstrong, of which the Gojulas head is perfect. The extra horns (which I'll snag off a Lego set) are just to pay homage to Geewun. ;) 

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm really looking forward to seeing you begin this. :) 

10. Treadshot A1

Hmm, since i need Razorclaw to be slightly bigger than the other four (to make the torso), i'm thinking about using Lightning Saix (i'm trying to organize a deal over in junkion for one as we speak). What do you guys think? I know Saix is a cheetah, but for nostalgic value i want to use it. Should i mod Saix to make it more lion like, or just work with the cheetah?

The other option is to use a High end Master Model Liger Zero, which I already have a source for. While I think the Liger Zero is closer to Razorclaw's Lion mode, i personally only like the Jäger upgrade, I prefer the Saix over the basic unarmored Liger. Opinions would be appreciated, as both would set me back a crap load anyways, so I can't afford to buy both (as much as I would want to). Well, technically I can (I'm a spoilt brat), but luggage space is a worry. Please help!

As well, if you guys could suggest a good voyager-size bot for Razorclaw's base, that would be great. I have no idea, as I haven't kept up with the current TF's, so if you guys could suggest something currently on the shelves, it'd save me a crap load of money. ;)  As weird as it may be I was considering Long Haul (or the yellow version whose name eludes me right now), as his design is very movie-ish to the point of looking almost technorganic, and his long arms and proportions would fit both the Saix or Liger, but I'm interested to see what you guys would use. :) 

Also, anyone here make decals? I might need one in future, very simple, 5 minutes work really. Would do it myself, but my printer doesn't allow decal paper (really old printer).

SQ7, I can't wait either! Having seen the basic mockup of Rampage, I can't wait to build this for real, I almost want my holiday to be over! Almost. :lol 

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I had this idea of using animal-based minicons and a Classics Mirage as a base for an Action Master Predaking.

12. Anti-Venom

I kinda want to see Razorclaw as a lightning saix.

As for a base figure to build off of, I dont have a clue.....

13. Treadshot A1

For the record:

Saix = 1
    Liger = 0

EDIT: Hmm, actually, looking at the cost, if i get a Saix, i'm looking at $50 AUD overall (shipping i can get slightly better since i might buy other stuff along with it). If i get Liger, that's $65 AUD, and i have to make room in my luggage for a fragile kit.

But what if i go for another alternative. Looking on eBay, i can get a Blade Liger for $110 AUD, which is a helluva lot more than the other two, but it could be shipped to me directly in Australia, and is better than the normal Liger.

So, should i bite? I mean, at this point i am almost writing off Liger completely, as Blade Liger beats it in every way. Saix is by far the most economic, but Blade Liger would fit Raorclaw's G1 alt. mode better. So what do i do???

14. Anti-Venom

It depends on 2 things:
    1. If you dont mind spending the extra money and
    2. If you want your Razorclaw to be lean and fast looking (The Saix), or buff and strong looking (Blade Liger).

So you should make a decision based on how you feel. :) 

15. Treadshot A1

Well, thanks to your links, now blade Liger is available in black for only about $70 AUD.

For me, i think i will opt for...um...both? Just buy both and go from there. :lol 

nah, seriously, i think i will go for the Saix on this build. They are the Dash Predacons, so fast and sleek is a necessity. But i'll buy both kits, and then use Blade Liger to make regular Predacon Razorclaw. Because i'm awesomely spoilt like that. :D 

16. Anti-Venom

Cooly, I cant wait to see the builds.
    When/if you post WIP threads let me know, just in case I miss em.

I too was also going to use a Blade Liger to make a Razorclaw, but I didnt have it in me to cut up a toy that I built when I was very young... the memories.

So now Im exploring new options.

17. Treadshot A1

Yeah, I have a Saix that I can't bear to cut up either. That why I intend to commission some decals for these Predacons when I'm done with the builds. I want them to remind me of Hong Kong, and family/friends who live there. So it's sort of a personal venture for me. This time, it's personal. ;) 

Um, just need some help on some basic things (wow, I need a lot of help this time...). These are the current plans for decals that I hope to incorporate (as yet an incomplete list):

Razorclaw: two decals, identical, clear background with white text. I want them both to read "Angel" (after my cousin, who I haven't seen in years. I built my first Lightning Saix kit at her house and it has become my fave Guylos Zoid since. It is also special to me because of all my Zoids that I built as a kid, Saix is the only one whose mechanisms worked. Well, they worked once, then broke, but still...), but I haven't decided what font. I want to make it look like Razorclaw's really fast, and have noticed some race cars have text that leans back a bit to simulate the blur that you see at high speeds. I have no idea how better to describe it, if only I had a pic of what I mean...

Divebomb: hmm, I'm thinking some chinese on this one, two words I saw today that I think would work great on Divebomb. 尖山. I was in my uncle's car, he was showing us around Hong Kong. The two words literally mean "Sharp Mountain", however somehow, by some twisted method, the English name for the tunnel in question is "Eagle's Nest Tunnel". That, coupled with the fact I member having a laugh with my cousin Natalie about a year ago about the 尖 character (lengthy joke, makes no sense if I told it in English), makes it perfect for Divebomb. Wait, Divebomb is an Eagle, right? Lol

Tantrum: 水牛 literally means Water Cow, better known to you or me as a Buffalo. There's another long Chinese joke behind this one, which my dad hates, so I won't say it, not that it would make sense in English anyways. Also, every time we come back to Hong Kong, my dad always wants to get a portable Hard Drive, generally of the Buffalo brand. I decided to gives this to Tantrum simply because it has the chinese word for Cow in it and my dad offend throws a tantrum whenever we recite the chinese joke behind the name.

I haven't thought about the others yet.

18. Treadshot A1

Uh oh... snag is hit...

I just looked at Rampage's mock-up again. This time, the excitement wasn't really there anymore, so my eyes were working normally again. And now that the rosy-tinted goggles are off...

...that thing looks...

...horrendous...

...Anyone got any new ideas for base molds? I'm no longer sold on the Thrust base, it just doesn't work as well as i first thought...

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry 

EDIT: Should probably mention the Thrust mold is still passable, it's just no longer as awesome as it first seemed.

19. Anti-Venom

What about any of the WFC Molds.... What about HFtD Terradive for Divebomb?

20. Treadshot A1

Holy shit. I just bought a Payload, and it is bloody fucking perfect. Remove the dump truck parts, and it is perfect both for the Dash Predacons and regular Predacons. I need to buy more copies of this mold.

Now no one steal this idea from me, kk?