Heavy/Scratch: Predaking 2.0 | 16DEC08 - MOAR VIDEO!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Altitron, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Hey fellow 'bashers. I created a web page for a project of mine on my website. Please check it out by clicking on the following link:

Predaking 2.0

Granted, it's pretty far behind my current progress on this project, but I'll get it caught up... eventually. XD

I have been updating this thread pretty regularly and thoroughly. I've attached some images so there's at least not a total let down by checking out this thread. :)  Let me know what you guys think - of the project, and the website itself. Cheers, and thanks for all the continued interest!

- Alty

Attached Files:

• pk2.jpg
      pk2.jpg
      File size:
      222.3 KB
      Views:
  2. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very, very interesting! Keep us updated!

I actually saw a Beast Wars Predaking once, it was heavily modified from the looks of it. Maybe someone else has pictures of it.

If possible, I would go for another bird, but it seems you're going for a Transmetal look. I had the bird from Magnaboss in mind... Silverbolt?

Also, Bonecrusher makes a decent Tantrum, no?

3. Altitron

Ebay:
    You're right; I'm going for a more Transmetal look. Well, moreso machine look than anything, just like the original Predacons. They didn't sport coats of fur or feathers - just the bare metal. This fact heavily influenced my mold choices. I appreciate the suggestion, however, and thanks again for looking.

- Alty

4. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    Looks pretty cool so far! I think the choice for the bull is a little too small, but if you can make it work, awesome! I look forward to seeing the progress.

You mean mine? http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/radicons-customs/Beast-Wars/Predaking/

5. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, that's the one. Didn't know it was in the gallery.

6. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I'm got to say that your Predaking is going to be very different, but hey if it works for ya, then go for it. Yeah like one person said, "Keep us updated."

7. weltdav

weltdav Active Member

What character are you planning to use for the bull predacon?

Nevermind I read the part on the website about Longhorn.

8. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

awesome

9. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Well you have my attention, but really is that a surprise ???
    Keep us updated, I'll be watching this one. :ev: 

10. Altitron

Ebay:
    Autobot1000,

And here comes the point where I get too lazy to update my website and I just dump some update photos into the thread here.

Got my Transmetal Rhinox (Fox Kids version I think?) in the mail from BBTS today. It will be hacked up and spliced with Beast Machines Longhorn to become an updated version of Tantrum.

This particular version of the mold lacks a minicon port on the tops of the hind legs, so I dispatched my Cold Heat soldering iron to remove the right legs of both it and my Armada Rhinox, then reheated the pins and soldered them back into place, so that both of them now have minicon ports on the top of one back leg, which acts as the combining mechanism to Nemesis Breaker/Razorclaw.

Check out the photos (added to first post in thread). G1 Jetfire poised to relay a sense of scale. Hope you enjoy.

PEACE OUT

- Alty

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

*subscribes

12. Ezilla82

sweet, its coming along great.

13. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Looking good :thumb 

14. Altitron

Ebay:
    Hey Radicons,

Got quite a bit of work done today, mostly (read: all) of it on Rhinox/Headstrong. I finally decided to man up, and I tried out some stuff I had picked up at Toys R Us last week called Tamiya Putty. You guys familiar with this stuff? It comes in a tooth paste kind of tube. It's a grey, semi-liquid/semi-solid substance that you smear on to smooth out scratches or fill gaps in models. I'm using it on Rhinox's head, to smooth out the face as I modify it to more closely resemble Headstrong.

I also outfitted Rhinox's beast mode with a peg in the center of the top of the rear, which will fit into a hole I drilled into the robot mode chest plate. It sounds weird, I know, but you can see how it works in the pictures below. The purpose for doing this was to create a more stable 'Leg Mode' or 'Combined Mode', as it was just a flimsy mock up before. The pressure from Nemesis Breaker on top pretty much kept him straight. Blow on them, though, and they would all topple over. Not any more!

I'm going to be crafting a huge rifle that is going to fit into the center peg seen in the rhinocerous mode, so that the peg doesn't just stick outta there for no reason and cause an eyesore, and will actually serve more of a purpose. :)  And it will sorta be like a homage to the huge artillery shells Headstrong and Tantrum used to carry around. :) 

I'll be doing some more work on Rhinox/Headstrong's head with Tamiya Epoxy Putty - stuff that's in two parts that you knead together, sculpt, and it then dries hard as a rock. We'll see how that goes over.

Oh, and I'll be sanding down that Autobot emblem you see on Rhinox's chest, as well, in the near future. Hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Here are some of the supplies I used today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rhinox's head, covered in Tamiya Putty, hardened, and dremel'ed a bit to remove the head ridge, bolts in the back of the head, and smooth out the chin strap. More work to be done in the near future:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a shot of what the figure looked like before my modifications:

[​IMG]

Here's a few pictures of the modification as it progressed:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the money shot!

[​IMG]

- Alty

15. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

Can't wait to see it done. Hope it turns out really well.

16. Altitron

Ebay:
    Started working on converting my second Rhinox into Tantrum this weekend, while waiting for some epoxy putty to harden on the head of Rhinox/Headstrong. On that particular figure, got the head crest pretty much down perfect, and the aforementioned epoxy putty I'm waiting to harden is the visor I crafted. I'll be taking pictures of that little piece soon enough. For now, however, here are some work-in-progress modifications I'm doing to the Rhinox figure to convert it into Tantrum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any questions? Fire away. Hope you guys enjoy the pics.

- Alty

17. Ezilla82

Well you have been a busy beaver. lol Anyways as far I could see the progress is coming along quite nicely, hope to see more soon.

18. Mega-Prime 316

Mega-Prime 316 Well-Known Member

WOW! At first I was kinda questioning how a rhino could look like a bull, BUT now I am really seeing this!! Good job dude!!! :) 

19. Altitron

Ebay:
    Heh, thanks guys. Beast Machines Longhorn is /way/ too small to keep up with all these deluxe-sized fellas, but I think I've managed to turn a second Rhinox around quite well into Tantrum. In the pictures above, the blue-green stuff on the front legs is epoxy putty, and will be hardening over the next couple of hours. I'll be sanding it down to where it's flush with the rest of the foot and creating hooves out of what used to be toes.

Same kind of idea with the beast mode head. I inserted a 3x5 note card in between either halve of the head in order to preserve the parting line or 'seam' while using epoxy putty to conceal the gap where the rhinocerous horn normally would be. Naturally, it will all also be sanded down flush with the rest of the head.

I have since installed the bull tail from Beast Machines Longhorn into the rear of Rhinox's rhinocerous mode (via drill bit, super glue, and epoxy! woo). I'll post pictures of that most likely tomorrow, along with pictures of Headstrong's robot head after all of my modifying, hopefully. Thanks for all the interest, compliments, and motivation, Radicons. :) 

- Alty

Edit: Anyone know what the code tags are to insert images from other websites (like my own)? Or can we not do that anymore???

- Alty

20. Altitron

Ebay:
    Hey guys,

Got quite a bit of work done on Tantrum today, and I would like to share the pictures of the progress I've made. Hope you guys enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]