Pre-TF's & Lead Paint

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The_Black_Sheep, Jan 27, 2012.

1. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    I was looking through my Diaclone/Microman/Microchange figures the other day...

[​IMG]

& suddenly I had a thought... "I wonder if any of these guys have lead paint?"

So I picked up every figure one-by-one, had a detailed look at them, sniffed them & then I looked at the Diaclone Drivers...

[​IMG]

Man the smell of lead paint coming off those little things was something else! Particularly that chrome/blue one in the top right corner - I wouldn't wanna put that thing anywhere near my mouth :lol .

So what do you guys think - Do you think they actually used lead paint on Pre-TFs'? & I wonder how many kids ended up in hospital because of it... :lol 

2. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure any toy before 2000 used lead paint.

(I might exaggerate)

iDD

3. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure that lots of materials have been used on toys from the past that wouldn't pass modern QC and safety tests. Whatever was available, cheap and cheerful! It wasn't just lead-based paints either: there's too many materials causing problems to mention, like the material keeping rubber flexible is a harmful chemical when ingested in significant amount, Fortress Maximus and other large toys not passing modern drop-tests due to shattering into sharp fragments, 'gold plastic' syndrom, you name it... Even some old Transformers designs probably caused hazards due to allowing a child's small fingers to get caught or pinched. So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if lead-based paints were used on Diaclone toys: they were used on lots of toys back then! It was in plentiful supply back in the day, and adheres well to metal.

How many kids ended up in the hospital... Who knows... The ones licking their toys had a bigger chance than others, I guess. But back then, linking a sick child to lead-based paint probably wasn't made by doctors as fast or at all. I'm guessing more kids would have needed help for getting a Diaclone driver stuck in their nose!

4. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

pre-2000s

5. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    They were more worried about the kids shooting little missles down their throats and choking to death at the time.