Customs: Pre-release figures for customs?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by encline, Mar 10, 2009.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What's up everyone. Just down here in D.R. plotting new customs!!! I will be ready to rock and roll in June.

There has been a lot of discussion as of late about "pre-release" figures. This is not a bash anybody thread for sure. It just came to mind when I see the new stunning galleries on the front page from my Radicon bros. I got a ROTF Soundwave a while back to paint up and sell, but never found the time. (Not to mention it wasn't the right time.....F-R knows what I'm sayin)

I am curious, does anyone have any reserves about buying "pre-release" figures for customs? Will it be worth the investment? Does anybody have any moral issue they deal with?

I tell you what, if I was in the country I would have a hard time not buying a dozen of those new Primes!!!!!!!!

I would be torn for a bit.

First: I know I could make some good money off of pre-release custom

BUT: I have to wonder where the toys came from. (I think we know)

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't have any reservations on buying a pre-release custom, per se. Personally, I don't see the point of potentially paying a lot more money for something that will probably be warning the shelves in a few months (or at least be readily available for a lot less).

I have more qualms with guys buying prototypes or test shots and altering them, since they tend to be rarer pieces. That's for the collector in me. Taking available molds for customs is for the Radicon in me! :lol 

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends, I know what you mean about F_r's soundwave and while I am working on them all right now. I have a set schedule(with some flexibility) for when to release them into the wild as I will definitely have to make my money back on them. Its a tough call really.

4. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Hey encline! I do share your reservations as well. I too am trying to find a sweet spot as to when to release those ROTF toys as well as balancing between buying them as late as possible and yet, have time to paint them without compromising on the quality. It's tough!

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    encline! I thought you'd be eaten by killer iguanas or something by now.
    I have quite a few here, most are for sitting on the shelf for a few more weeks.
    Only reserve I have is paying to much for these. I've been offered figures from this line for sometimes 5+ times the retail price (plus crazy shipping fees) Luckily, I have a fan of my customs who's pretty much sending me ROTF figures as currency for painting his customs. I don't know about where some of them come from.

6. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

it is still to much of a crap shoot for me to do this. what i mean is my work does not command high prices so why should i buy these figures, and risk my bottom line. right now i always make my money back plus a profit on materials invested however this is not counting my time invested. so until i start making money on time invested as well these figures are an easy NO for me.

as far as where they come from i have no clue is it that you think the workers are stealing them from factory? this could be true but they could also be QC runs that are not meant for sale or something. i have no moral dilemma bashing these i see very little special about them to preserve them. unlike a prototype or test shot

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    A few of us already tweaked Starscream to give him better posing arms.