Pre pre Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Golden Age, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Pre pre Transformers Sunstreaker

So, this isn't really new information, but interesting anyway. As many of us know, "Transformers" spawned mostly from Takara's Diaclone and Microman toy lines. In 1982 Diaclone released their first car robots (Sunstreaker and Iron Hide) but their history stretches even further back. Sunstreaker's earliest incarnation was in the Microman "cosmos car" series.
    This Sunstreaker had a half robot transformation. A Centaur-like robot. The only image of wich I can find is on the box for the toy itself. Look at the right hand corner of the box top. You may have to squint:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

So... uhm... what are we discussing?

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    In my book, the 3 first real transforming toys were DX Reideen (bird to robot - 1975), DX Dangard Ace (flying thingie to robot - 1977) and DX Leopaldon (flying thingie to robot - 1978).

4. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I believe it's a thread for Pro-GoBots fans to proclaim their love for GoBots.

Personally I can't get enough Blue Jet/Jet Robo/Fitor. I've got a total bot-crush on him.

5. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I like gobots too! Its actually a discussion about Transformers evolution and toy history.

6. Rewind

News Credits:
    Sorry, I'm having a snarky day. :) 

I'm actually curious what the very first transforming robot design or toy was. I thought I remembered reading that it was Reideen.

7. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

no prob man...I dont mean to sound like im gobot bashing either. yeah, I think Raideen is the first..

8. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

As far as I can from the links non of that is what Transformers are based on. I mean they aren't even transforming toys they just happen to be based off the same real world cars as some Transformers characters.

When referring to pre-transformers the toy lines that inspired Transformers were already Transforming toys. They use the exact same molds with different paint jobs. Some modern Transformers toys have played homage back to the original toys by changing their paint jobs back to the toys they were originally based on. Shattered Glass Transformers for example, not all of them, but allot of them are based on the original diaclone colors for that character. Optimus Prime for example is heavily influenced by his diaclone colors.

9. Rewind

News Credits:
    Does Tezuka's Ambassador Magma count as a transforming robot? I think he pre-dates Reideen but I don't remember if it was a robot or a god or a golem-type thing.

In terms of toys I can't think of anything before the original Reideen toy that transforms.

10. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

http://www.kaikodo.net/by4/653.html
    look at the right hand corner of the box top. The toy is very rare, and this is the only picture I can find in robot mode. Yes, its a very small picture, but it is a robot. This is essentially an invented car by Takara, and G1 Sunstreaker is supposed to be this very same car.

Not sure. According to this it seems that some people include him. There is also "King Joe" The History of Transforming Robots! (abridged) - The Superhero Hype! Boards

11. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

I have learned much this day. thank you for posting that link

12. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I aim to please :)  THere are some other, even better resources of Transformer/robot toy history but i'm having a hard time finding them right now. Maybe i'll post them once I find them.

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I can't find the article, but there was something on Shockwave that someone dug up a while ago, where that G1 mold is really, really old and passed through a few different companies hands before being landing in the Transformers lineup. I swear (IIRC) it said it was from the 60s. Been a few years since I saw the article though.

Not the article I was looking for, but this mentions that Toyco originally developed Astro Magnum a quarter century before Transformers: http://tformers.com/article.php?sid=9709

14. Rewind

News Credits:
    Did they mean to say quarter of a decade? A quarter of a century is 25 years, and there's no way that thing came out in 1960.

15. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

wow, i'd like to find out more.

16. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I'll try to look for the real article I saw on it a few years ago if I remember later today. I was pretty damn shocked (no pun intended) to find out how old the design was. It was a pretty interesting read on where it had gone, and whos hands the mold has past through over time.

17. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    A whole different breed of speed!
    Different breed of speed. Penny Racers!
    A whole different breed of speed!

Dammit, that song's now stuck in my head.

18. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Is that a fact....

Diaclone commercial - YouTube

19. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is great stuff, I love toy history. I had a bunch of random robot toys in the 1980's from Japan and I still am not sure to what toylines they belonged. I really find it amazing that many of these designs were around in the 1970's. I agree with many fans that the original G1 toys are somewhat blocky and lacking in articulation. However, when you look at the toys in context, they are remarkable feats of design and engineering. Several of them still hold up very well today.

20. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I miss my big 'ol Shogun Warriors!

I can't find the pic I have, but I'm positive my G1 Soundwave was date stamped 1976.