Pre-Earth Bots & Robo-Death

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Torque, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    YES I KNOW THIS MAY NOT BE G1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    however, from what we've seen, it seems to be somewhat G1ish. so my question is this:

if TF:WFC is to G1 as Hulk (2003) is to The Incredible Hulk (2008) in the sense that they could be considered connected even though they really arent, would you want to see robots that had been introduced on Earth? Namely the Dinobots, the Insecticons, and Jetfire (he came to Earth before the war). Same for Trypticon-if Hasbro says that this game could be considered a prequel to G1 even though it isnt, does Trypticon being there ... for lack of a better word... frustrate you?

also, do you think that knowing that certain characters survive, despite being in possible danger, take away from some of the drama? you know that certain characters must survive. same vein-would you be angry if in-game a character with a G1 name and appearance died? cause for me, those 2 things are what kills prequels for me.

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It doesn't really bother me, since I am considering this game in its own continuity, however many people are placing it in the same continuity as G1. If I did consider it as a prequel to G1, I would just try to deal with it and not think too much into it. Nothing much else you can do, other than create some heavy fanon.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Certainly wouldn't bother me.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What would it take for you to accept this as part of G1's continuity. Even After Hasbro said that this game is, you still don't accept it as such? Is that right?:confused:  ...reminds me of Star Wars fans accepting George Lucas' idea of having midichlorians being the source of the Force rather than some spirtial unknown.

5. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Sigh. I really just don't feel like getting into this argument. I just... don't.

6. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wasn't asking for an argument, just an answer, but that's cool.

7. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Lulz it's not G1 fool!

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Ya sure about that?

As far as I'm concerned, This is no more or no less G1 than IDW's ongoing.

9. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Well, no one really knows if it's definitely a G1 continuity prequel. Hasbro has said it takes place before the Transformers come to Earth, but that could mean any continuity, even one that we don't know about yet. They also said that WFC will be the foundation for future TF franchises, and if WFC is the prequel to one of those franchises, it's probably in its own continuity.

Plus, it just wouldn't make much sense, like Torque is saying. There would be a shit ton of continuity errors. And I know while that is pretty much the norm for the G1 cartoon, it would just be too much for me to believe. The comics, even more so.

Unless I have missed the quote, I can't find where hasbro has said "War For Cybertron is a prequel to the Generation One cartoon/comic." Feel free to correct me/link me if I'm wrong on that, I'd definitely like to know.

But we'll just have to wait and see.

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    not 100%-went back to change it-better? :thumbs2: 

11. Mechafire

News Credits:
    I think that pretty much sums up my post in one sentence. :lol 

12. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Really only one thing is clear. No matter what the game is canon to, it's heavily inspired by G1, both story-line and visually, along with some influence from War Within and Transtech.

Hasbro said that the game is canon, but not to what, and that it's sort of a stepping stone for the future of Transformers, which could mean a specific show they're working on, or just everything Transformers in general for the next so many years.

Personally, I'm hoping that it's meant to be a prequel to the new show they're working on, and that the Optimus Prime toy we've seen is going to be one of the first toys in that line.

In the end we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully Toy Fair sheds some light on post-RotF plans for this year.

13. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    lol, pretty much. i think i put "not" the first time around cause of the presence of Trypticon. Though as i said with the thing about the Hulk movies-i plan to consider this as a new continuity from the original, but i can also get an idea of what happend in the past, how it all started. and while not a direct sequel, im sure that there will be some things similar. kinda like that.

14. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ummm do you have a link to the press release where Hasbro says its G1? From what Ive been able to find they only say its canon, but not what its canon too.

15. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don’t know if there’s a press release stating such, but I recall the guys in the Gameinformer.com podcast saying Hasbro said War For Cybertron is canon to the original show, though the podcaster did take it upon themselves to reinterpret what was said. When Seibertron.com asked Hasbro whether the game was a canonical back-story to the G1 story didn’t deny it, but said the story was canon, as well as a spring board to future shows—current reinterpretations of the show are, based on what came in the 80s. Aside from what Hasbro has said, we shouldn’t ignore the words of the game’s developer, High Moon Studios. Several of their developers have said more than once that this is the story/game they’ve been waiting 25 years to play. 25 years ago only had two continuities, the comic book series and the cartoon, but of which are G1.

Anyway, I didn’t ask the question above to start the “It’s G1/It’s not G1” debate all over again. I asked it because I wanted to know what it would take to get those opposed to the idea of it being G1 to accept it as such. I’m beginning to feel that no matter who says what, those opposed to this game being G1 just won’t accept it because, well…they can’t.

16. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

High Moon director, Matt Tieger, also said:
    Transformers: War for Cybertron Preview - PlayStation 3 Preview - at IGN

That means it's not so much based in G1 as it's based on G1. and yes there is a difference.

I don't really think anyone is opposed to the idea so much as that no one really knows that for sure, and yet you keep stating it as if it's fact.
    No one can argue that the game definitely is primarily G1 inspired. The thing that people are arguing is the concept that this is somehow suppose to be in continuity with the original 84 cartoon. And as of right now, there's no solid evidence to say that it is.
    Hasbro saying the game is canon is not enough to go by to assume they mean it's canon to the actual G1 cartoon. Since Matt Tieger stated that the game lives within its own universe, it's more likely that it has more in common with the recent comic books as being a G1 reboot.

17. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Well, there's your problem. ;) 

I can accept it. Yeah, I could. But I don't have to. As Paxtin pointed out, Matt Tieger said it takes place in its own G1 inspired continuity.

Hell, with that quote from Tieger, I don't really understand why this debate is going on.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  18. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As the original cartoon never really explained what happen prior to coming to Earth, any story said to be canon for something that doesn’t exist shouldn’t be something to fight over. I always thought High Moon was going to borrow from other Transformer sources to tell the unknown past, and what was told they’re going to tell. Whether the concept comes from the cartoon or comic, if it’s from the 80s, its all G1 to me. I never said that this game was solely following what was on Saturday morning cartoons. I did, however, say that many of High Moon’s staff spoke fondly of the show in their interviews about the game.
    Makes sense when you consider they’re telling a story never before told way back then (I’m assuming the original comics didn’t tell the story—didn’t read many of them), though I wouldn’t be surprised if they used names from current comics as well. Why not use a names/places already in existence.

Doesn’t this game’s story even pre-date War Within?

If Hasbro says it’s canon and that canon is a good thing, then that’s good enough for me.

19. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No no my point wasn't to come down on you, or start a G1 not G1 fight. It was just that in your statement you said that Hasbro said it was G1, and I wanted to know your source that's all.

As for it being G1 or not G1 I do think its a kind of G1 reboot like IDW did, but I don't think it can be the history of the G1 cartoon as if I remember right Trypticon was made much later.

So if you see the IDW reboot as a G1 story line then I think you we'll be right. If you only see the cartoon, or the Marvel comics as G1 then it most likely will not be.

However at the end of the day this is all just educated guessing till they come out and tell us once and for all what its canon too. ;) 

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

If War for Cybertron is canon the original show, the explain why Trypticon is on Cybertron, when in the cartoon, he was built on Earth.