Digibash: pre-BW Predacons, Energon gestalt members (please criticize)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by RavageX-9, Apr 24, 2010.

1. RavageX-9

RavageX-9 I don't know

Ebay:
    I've only done digibashes for two of them.
    There's also some minor modifications suggested with mock-ups of what they'd look like.

I wanted some feedback on whether this idea made sense or not before I went ahead and digibashed the rest of them. Is this concept just too flawed? Does shoe-horning them into Energon gestalt members limit the potential too much? Would it be totally out of the question that they ever merge into a gestalt? Would they be fine as these molds if they didn't merge? or would that be pointless in putting them in these molds?

mold choices:
    helicopter as Waspinator
    F-22 jet as Terrorsaur
    crane as Scorponok (modified)
    crane as Quickstrike (only slightly modified)
    and still undecided on a torso (excavator as Dinobot or Megatron, or Barricade as Cryotek)

(please see attached image at bottom, modelled after this well-known poster)

The driving inspiration behind this was Waspinator and Terrorsaur. I really wanted Waspinator to be a basic-sized helicopter instead of a jet, and we never got a Terrorsaur.
    (note: Energon Skyblast was the mold used in the Theft of the Golden Disk video)

crane minor modifications:
    I really got inspired after I realized what could be done here.
    Give Scorponok a 2nd normal arm, and two claws to put in each hand to homage his scorpion claws. His crane can plug into his back like a tail, and his new arm could perhaps have an attachment to connect the crane arm back in alt mode.
    Quickstrike would mostly be unchanged so that he had one long striking arm and one grabby leg arm just like his later robot mode (four 'legs' instead of eight). Either the claws or his forearm would be modified so that he could hold two claws in one hand, plugged into each other; or his forearm would be modified to plug a claw in n the underside. (If we made Scorponok's new forearm have the same elbow joint, but with a new bicep to attach it to the totally different shoulder connector, we could use the forearm both for Scorponok's new arm as well as to replace Quickstrike's normal arm, reducing the number of new mold parts required.)
    I realize that Quickstrike's body type is a better match for the crane mold than Scorponok, who had small legs and a massive upper-body, but I think the alt mode is more appropriate, and the claws/crane help his robot mode.
    Fiction-wise, I know Quickstrike would require a Tigatron & Airazor retcon, but at this point who cares? I figured he was either an unstable under-cover agent retrieved at some point during Megatron's mission, or just captured and reformatted.
    The energon weapons would be fun too. Purpley for Waspinator and Scorponok, red for Terrorsaur, orange for Quickstrike. 2 hot & 2 cold. I could make Scorponok's claws red like his beast legs, which would allow him to have red eyes, but it would not only mess up the robot mode homage, but the hot:cold ratio in the set as well, so I'm not sure. It would probably look more interesting individually, which probably matters more.

The limbs mostly make sense. I wanted them to be the less-intelligent, mostly-loyal followers (which rules out Tarantulas or Dinobot). I hadn't considered others besides Quickstrike, like Inferno. but Quickstrike at least is different from Scorponok, while Inferno would probably be unmodified helicopter like Waspinator.

Torso:
    Barricade as Cryotek, or Steamhammer as Megatron or Dinobot, but there are problems...
    Dinobot: Just not sure if he is enough of a team player, and whether the others respect him enough to obey him (and it's been a while since I watched the show to remember how the dynamics were before he switched sides), even though the size and alt mode would be just fine.
    Megatron would be dwarfed by BotCon Dinobot if he were Steamhammer. (I figured the shovel arm homages his dino head arm, as well as the parallel between Megatron and Dinobot both having predatory dinosaur alt modes).
    Cryotek: My justification behind this was that either the limbs were mercenaries lent to Megatron, or employees of Cryotek who Megatron later turned for his own purposes.
    I have a feeling Dinobot would look best.

There's also these old-old digibashes I did of Waspinator and Terrorsaur years ago.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Soundwave_FSD

Soundwave_FSD Yoda in a track suit...

I believe you mean "critique" instead of "criticize". But yeah, not bad.

3. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

looks good,but i need some different heads,just to make them more like their current beast wars appearance.

4. RavageX-9

RavageX-9 I don't know

Ebay:
    Sorry. I guess critique is a lot to ask for people's attention and time for such a half-[hearted] attempt at art.
    I would like more than a pass/fail on it though, to know what to change and what to keep the same. but I guess if it's not popular, there's nothing redeemable about it.

Which ones need new heads?

standard disclaimer:
    I mean for BotCon exclusives there seems to be a precedence that there's different priorities for who does/doesn't need a new head based on how similar they are to the character they're meant to portray.
    There's also some amount of change that goes along with Transformer upgrades, although usually more similarities are required between spin-offs than there is between forms within a show or between shows in a series.