Praise or condemn?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by soundwaverulls, Mar 20, 2012.

1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Many people view TFPrime Optimus Prime boring and dull and there are a few who think that movie Optimus as too violent and uncaring. So what about G1?

While G1 OP often said unnecessary computery stuff to make him sound like a robot, he didn't seem like this untouchable leader who never stops acting calm and he didn't go all "kill them all" very often. But did they go too far? There were times when they'd do silly things with G1 OP like when he played basket ball and at the end of A Prime Problem said "Yes, it is me... I... myself... whoever I am".

So do you praise G1 Optimus for doing silly things like that or do you condemn him?

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I can only explain this the same way I try to explain everything in G1: "It was...a different time."

At the day, to 5-years old, those things were genuinely amusing and cool to watch. Today, they just don't cut, so they have to try new things [like a less heroic and more pragmatic Optimus, or a stoic Optimus].

That said, from a purely storyline point of view [not considering the whole "different time" thing] I condemn it from a modern-day point of view because that's stupid. and I happen to enjoy a stoic Prime.

3. soundwaverulls

Well this is meant to be from a storyline view. I know things were different back then. But I am glad you included both in your post.

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked G1 Prime doing silly things. I don't mind movie Optimus being homicidal either.

Prime Optimus doesn't come off to me as "badass stoic guy" but more of a movie Optimus wannabe with homicidal tendencies replaced with moral speeches and G1 quotes. Which makes him boring for me.

5. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I like the Optimus with a sense of humor. Prime Optimus is just a little too stoic.

6. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

I like DRSMOOV's Optimus Prime. Damn he has some of the best lines.

"Rodimus, give me back that fucking matrix of leadership immediately. You've run this organisation into the ground, Hot Rod!"

"That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard!"

"If you wanna play it that way, then take this fuckatron!"

"I figure we'll all get in a big spaceship...and we'll fly around in space...and look for energy and...stuff".

"Who the fuck is this Autobot?"
    "Wheelie's my name, wanna play a game?"
    "NO!"

7. Agentknife

Agentknife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree, Prime Optimus is a little too stoic. I recently saw a part of the G1 episode were Optimus played basketball and I didn't like that because it seemed to go too far with the silly. But Prime having a sense of humor was nice. G1 Optimus more often than not though was the best of both stoic Prime Optimus and "kill em all" movie Optimus. He would get mad at the Decepticons and go movie style on them but he often was the thoughtful, pragmatic, let's not jump to conclusions Optimus Prime that was more like TF Prime, but with a sense of humor.

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    G1 Optimus can do no wrong.

9. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Personally, I like Prime Optimus, and don't agree with the complaints.
    Its clear Prime is trying its best to avoid becoming 'The Optimus and Megatron show'.

As there is no longer a cultural expectation/ convention to end the show with a bad pun and the Autobots in stitches, he's no longer required to mention "boobies" or the like.

Frivolous comments are more Bulkhead/Miko's department now anyway. Tension release is also now performed by anticipated repetition within character interactions eg. Ratchet yelling "I needed that!".

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  10. soundwaverulls

Yeah, I love those DR Smoov vids.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Nothing wrong with G1 Prime.
    Nothing wrong with Movie Prime.
    Nothing wrong with TFP Prime.

They're just different characters, and they all have their quirks. But they are all cool, imo.

12. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Optimus Prime has lost his charm on me over the years, and went from being "The heroic iconic leader." to, well... he is just goofy to me.

What really pulls me away from Optimus, is that what made him bad-ass (His one-liners.) is now the one thing that really pulls me away from that character.

Like, it seems from the movies on. (though really only basing it off of Prime, and the movies.) he has become all about "One shall stand, one shall fall." as well as, " I am sending this message.", and finishing with "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." In a nutshell he has become his own toy bio, and nearly only speaks in these odd quotes, which in one respect it makes me very quote-able but... on the flip side, Crazy Steve, and Stoic-Steve just don't do it for me.

For instance, lets take all the Optimi, I am going to give a basic review of all of them.

G1 Optimus Prime:

A hardened war veteran who is scared from his homeworld being torn apart infront of him, and being torn from his love Elita-1. He seeks out peace for the galaxy, and wishes to enrich himself and all around him, as his mentor Alpha-Trion would wish him to. Though, he may do things goofly he has the right heart in which he wishes to learn from the planet him and his friends have disguised themselves aroud.

RID Prime:

A protector of the innocent, as his firetruck alternate mode would show. He wants nothing more than the humans his race has now burdened with to be at peace from the war that has followed him here from his planet. With his comrades, he hopes to rid the earth of these Predacon/Decepticon scoundrels, no matter the cost.

Armada Prime:

He is essentially a hybrid of the previous Primes, and is pretty 1-D in the terms of personality, as long as he has his mini-con partner and "SUPAH MODES!!!" there is really nothing beyond his character.

Energon Prime:

Supah. Mode.

Cybertron Prime:

This Prime almost comes off as wise, and ancient however, childish when Vector Prime arrives. He is the heart of burning passion and follows suit with most Mech Anime, in terms of building to grow stronger. He also has the same gimmick of "Supah Mode" but, it isn't as apparent to me as the first two, seeing as his first super mode, was an extension of himself, and the other two... well, the ability to fly, and the ability of strength. I really can't call his super mode a super mode, just an added artilliary...

07 Prime:

A war hardened veteran, who only wishes to stop his foe no matter the cost.

Animated Prime:

A young marine who didn't make the cut, and exiled for his own actions. He is attempting to defeat his personal demons in order to make a better tomorrow, he is lively as he is young, but he isn't stupid either as he is of the rank of Prime.

ROTF:

Mother. Fucking. Crazy. Steve. Wants. Your. Goddamn. Face.

Prime:

Essentially 07 movie Prime... but instead of having personality, he is essentially the stereotype that is Optimus Prime, fitting the old war veteran personality to an ace, and is almost de-mobilized to all emotion in a ecerpt from the show

Jack: Do you want to see something funny?

Prime: No.

He has no soul...

Dotm:

Dude has some weapons on his weapons while his weapon has weapons... yet he still gets caught in some wire... also he is crazy.

Now that the description is out of the way, now my thoughts on each.

G1:

He is goofy, but he was poorly written due to it being the 80's it was okay to have him be sellable, and fit the PSA area. It was the 80's, why not?

RID:

Aside from his burning justice, I find nothing really bad about this prime, though admittingly he is also very cardboard in the sense that. When Prime shows up on screen, I really don't get excited for his interactions with anyone, or if he gets hurt. It's really a "If he dies... he dies. Moving on." situation.

Armada: Admittingly enough, I haven't watched enough of the cartoon to really know the character, as I have only watched... fifteen episodes at the max, and they where all sparatic. But, from what I know from him in the comics, is that he is just trying to survive this war, and even if it means taking the advantage. He is going to do everything in his power to keep the universe from going to hell.

Energon:

Probably the worst written Optimus Prime...ever. He isn't exactly a dick... but, he is very focused on the military side of things, which makes him very unappealing, though... that is really the whole focus of the show, is that every general/warrior really -is- a warrior/general, and they are just so war hardened to the point, that having any form of human emotion would show weakness. Also... his fucking super modes. El, Oh, and El.

"GUIZE LOOK I'M A POWERRANGER, AM I TRENDY NOW? NO?! WELL I CAN COMBINE WITH OMEGA SUPREME!!! TRENDY? YEAH? WELL I CAN COMBINE WITH A JAPANESE OBSCURE HOMAGE!!! TRENDY? YEAH?!"

It just... it works on the levels for toys, but in terms of story telling in a show... not really. He abuses his gimmick, and makes it less satisfying to see goofly large robots do battle.

Cybertron Prime:

I really like this prime for some reason, it may have something to do with the episode where he uses Metroplex's axe, because of because. But, something about his inventiveness really amuses me, and yes he does have a bit of the "Supah mode!!!" sydrome the previous three had, but for him... it feels natural for him to do it.

07 Prime:

Not really what I wanted from a Prime... he is very boring, and doesn't strike my interest...

Animated Prime:

Though him being young Annoy'd me at first, it grew on me until finally I enjoy'd this Prime, because he filled out a very new role, as if he was the Rodimus Prime we never got... I dunno.

Rotf Prime:

When this guy died, I laughed. I laughed so damn'd hard. When they dropped him on the airfield? I laughed again when he bounced. I fucking hate ROTF prime, as he serves no point but to be Uber cool, and violent.

Prime Prime:

As stated before, he is just a series of one liners compiled to action sequences and is very uncharacteristic compared to the others, some use the excuse that "Derp, he is like Spock", but really... he is just boring, as all fuck. His only reedeeming quality is that the show makes fun of just how bland of a character he is.

DOTM:

Old man Optimus. Seriously, this is almost as bad as ROTF prime, but I feel that once he got Jetfire's parts... dude was useless. All he does is get his ass beat in that movie, and throw out one liners... oh and kill a innocent Decepticon. Him getting caught in the wire? Best scene ever. Shows just how stupid he is as a character.

In all, Prime has had a pretty good run. But, the day a Transformer show gets rid of him... I'll be happy. (Primals count as well!!!)

13. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    ^Beautifully this!

14. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

What, no opinions of BW/BM Primal? Yes, he's technically not a "Prime", but he's still "Optimus" and his role was the "Prime" of the series.

15. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I like Optimus to have a personality outside of being 'noble leader'. So G1 was great about this. Even in the '07 movie Optimus had some nice character momments..... like "my bad" or "Ironhide, I told you no shooting humans" (or something like that). Optimus isn't a speach machine, he's a living being and should show many different aspects of his personality.

This "Primes don't party thing" just doesn't cut it for me.

That being said, TFP Optimus is close enough.... it is Cullen after all.

16. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked the "silly" things because it gave him character and a personality.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the individual actions are somewhat less important than the overall trend, as that trend defines the character as a whole.

We should praise the good aspects, especially the ones that become iconic. I wouldn't say the bad aspects need to be condemned, but they should be criticized, and even made fun of. So long as someone is being honest about how they feel about these aspects and is able to express them with relative effectiveness, it shouldn't really matter whether they "love" or "hate" something.

But did G1 Prime have his eccentricities? Oh man yes. Dude blew himself up because he accidentally caused collateral damage in a video game after Megatron blatantly cheated. For me, these weird things are kind of a part of his charm now. They're cheesy, but fun to dig into.

18. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not gonna lie, for some reason I read that as condom rather than condemn at first.

On topic though, I'm okay with the silly stuff. Being serious all the time may make for a more mature tone, but its not always fun to watch.

19. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    'A booby trap that actually catches boobies...'

Nuff Said =P

I think G1 Prime was alright in the few instances where he had to be serious (in that episode where Megatron downloaded all the decepticon powers and challenged him to a duel where the loser leaves the planet) and stuff like that, but it's hard to look at him now and see him as a 'leader' because of those silly things. I understand that was the time, but compared to the numerous Optimus' that came after.. I dunno. If there was a way to blend the friendliness of G1, the 'I've had enough' of the movies and the calmness and unmoving that is in Prime, we'd have an excellent leader. But we need to go into something that only Animated Prime ever had, some more dealings into his past that explains fears...or regrets

20. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Is not Optimus Prime though. He is not leader of the autobots, though he is a decendent but... really doesnt count..