Praise for the Ongoing!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Magnus' Mate, May 5, 2010.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So after "Infiltration" in 2006 I made the decision not to buy single issues anymore, and only collected TPBs. IDW never gave me cause to regret the decision, and so I continued on my merry way.

2010: Lots of talk on the ongoing... frustration from me that I won't see the TPB till July... and then sight of a fantastic deal for issues #1-5 (huge amount off cover price) = me buying the first five issues and sitting down to read them.

First reaction - wow! This is entertaining. For the first time since "Infiltration", I'm excited about what happens next in a TF comic; for the first time since Marvel US #80 I'm not disappointed with the writing and/or the artwork.

It's probably an over-reaction, but I feel like I've somewhat "come home" to TF comics. For some background, I consider myself first and foremost with TF a comics fan; I don't even pay attention to the cartoon(s), and love the toys, but the comics - ever since I collected the Marvel UK series back as a kid in the 1980s - have been the mainstay of my TF pleasure. I just grew disenchanted with the way things were going. Watching Furman's descent from King of Transformers Fiction to parody of himself was unsettling. The efforts of Mad Brick during the Dreamwave years didn't help.

I don't want to 'big up' Costa too much. There are still some concerns with his writing, but generally it's a good effort and has introduced a level of freshness to the TF saga. Sure, there's an element - as there always is with this franchise - that we know where things might be heading (e.g. "of course Swindle is going to double cross Hot Rod"); after so many iterations, most destinations have been reached with the G1 universe.

However, that logically leads to the conclusion: The destination is less important, it's how much fun we have in the journey. And based on #1-5, this is going to be fun!

(Note - my biggest peeve actually, was how Magnus - my fave character - was presented as a bit of a d*ck. Prowl was always Furman's go-to character when he wanted some one stuffy and "uncool" to highlight how awesome!!! another character was. I hope Magnus doesn't become Costa's...)

2. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    The story is okay, although not that special.

The art is absolutely amazing though, and has the dual draw of looking mouth wateringly good AND making fanboyz cry.

I am excited to see where the next arc goes

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't quite say that. There are some scale issues at times, some of the art tends to be lazy (like when Prime is talking to Spike in the latest issue, blatant reuse is blatant), and Fig's humans are still a little bit off. The backgrounds could make due with being a bit more varied as well, it's almost always the same locations with nothing special thrown in, tends to get quite boring. And while I dig the designs, the tiny faces in huge helmets will always look off to me. :( 

I wish the colorist would do something more interesting with the art as well. Why not a night shot occassionally, or morning, or when the sun is setting? Why is it always the same "middle of the day" look?

4. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I hear the next few issues will see guest artists. Guido Guidi is apparently doing a few issues in a G1 cartoon style.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Goddamn Guido, makin' me buy this comic again.

6. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

I agree. This run has been able to make me very eager to sit down on Weds , in the bathroom, for some reason its best lighting there, and just see what happens.

Magnus is one of my favorites, always has been, even as a kid when we called him Fagnus for bein so .... well stern or whatever....

Alot of it is hard to digest, like sometimes I am like, why did they do it this way, with the factions changing up a little.

But its a great ride once you stop whining.

I tried to read the Magnus stuff with a Stack voice, and it is just hilarious. Seein him walk in like he owns the place after Hot Rod told him to piss off is just classic.

He walks in, starts tellin the first Bots he sees to ride with him. Lol!!

BTW: Are the Dinobots still repairing their ship or what??? Cuz Magnus would know about that.....Also, he apparently didnt care that Verity bounced on him.....

This comic kicks ass!

Also the Wreckers. Man is that some mind warping crazy stuff

7. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    The only thing that gets me about the art thus far is that they're not doing the transformations from alt mode to robot mode in one frame anymore (like how in a single panel you'd have like silhouette of car, silhouette of car breaking apart and legs sticking out, robot mode). It's kind of annoying that whenever they show Mangus transformers its essentially an explosion of truck pieces, but that's less to do with the new aesthetic and more to do with the apparent decision to not draw multiple transformation phases in the one panel (the only place this was done in the series thus far from memory was the forming of Menasor)

8. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

He had time to deal with it on that long spaceride to Earth.

9. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure they finished repairing it in the time between Maximum Dinobots and AHM, and got off Earth. I like to think that they (and the Monsterbots, for that matter) survived the Decepticon purge at the start of the AHM year, and are surviving as soldiers of fortune or something

To reitorate what I've said elsewhere, I love the Ongoing. I love Don's new style. I love how the portrayals of the characters are not strictly defined by the tech specs and the first few seasons of the cartoon (Wreckers is best with this, but the Ongoing is pretty good at it too). I love how the continuity between this, Wreckers, and Bumblebee is so strong, with errors popping up at more of a bi-monthly basis than a weekly one (hey, at this point, what are you gonna do?). I love Wreckers the most of all. I'm even fairly indifferent towards Bumblebee.

Maybe AHM just set the bar really low for what I'd see as good (to be fair, I didn't even hate AHM all that much- the continuity stuff bugged me more than any individual facets of the story), but I'm content with what we have.