Praise for Folklore

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/824/824614p1.html

Not that I trust what anyone says, but still, I have been really looking forward to this game, almost more than any other single-player game, so this is a great sign for next week.

2. neek_buster

neek_buster The One Man Army

News Credits:
    Me too, can't wait to buy this game once I have a PS3....

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I played the demo that was up on the PSN and just was not really feeling it. The music seemed really good and I really dug the art direction, but when actually playing the game I just was not really feeling anything. Im sure there are people out there that are going to really enjoy the game but I just dont think its for me... However, the new praise of this game that I am seeing may bring me to give the demo another chance. I may enjoy it more if I play the demo again. My first time through spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I was doing. :p 

4. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, I felt the same way. The atmosphere was good, the combat was fine and interesting, and the music was good as well. However, it felt like if I played for another half hour I would have been extremely bored with it. So, hopefully the final game will have some things up it's sleeve and also make me care enough about what's going on to play through more than a couple hours.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Two things that I really have enjoyed about the demo is the atmosphere and the integration of the Six Axis. Sony, like Nintendo, seems to think that it has to add their cute little gimmick to every game, but on this game, it's not forced and it's just right (even fun as hell, in a Ghostbusters sort of way).

Actually a third thing would be how cool it is to mix and match the minions, and the fact that unlike Pokemon and Final Fantasy, these aren't monsters that you Summon and fight for you, they literally become your attack. I can't wait for this game.

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i played the demo breifly, the gfx were pretty good. didn't really have a chance to get into it though.

7. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I don't know.. I just couldn't get into it. I actually agree the sixaxis was pretty good. But really I seriously thought for a second that I was playing Lost Kingdoms again.

8. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This game just feels right, when playing the demo I never once had any complaints, and the sixaxis controls are kind of fun and I even found myself banging the solders soul out of his body with great angst as I was totally immersed in the game. I am picking this up most definitely.

9. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The six-axis movement in this game is great(based off the demo) as it adds to the controls, rather than tries to be the control method. Kinda like heavenly sword. I'm curious to see the other monsters attacks and what kind of combinations work best.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I was playing the demo and I found that I grew so comfortable with sucking the Ids out that it became a natural part of the attack, and the game doesn't require you to hit your own face with the controller when you flick back on it. A simple little wrist-flick will do, and it begins to feel so natural. Can't wait.... assuming I have money, because I really want Battlefront also.

11. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Gamefly ftw.

12. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hate gamefly, I admit that it was cool at first but they should really put the games in something more inconspicuous as 5 of my returns were never delivered back and they tried to charge me for them which sucked and I know it was my mailman because he is a creepy s.o.b.

13. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    That's not really gamefly's fault so much as it is your asshat mailman.

The only problem I ever had with them was gears of war never showed up, after a week of arguing with them they shipped me another copy, then a month after that, the first one showed up.

14. Crimson Primus

Crimson Primus Deceptinut

demo was great accept the crappy camera controls.....it just kept going wonky....and that is the reason why I will not get it.:thumbdown 

15. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I was going to pick it up anyways, but it is good to see a good review on something for once. I will be intersted at how well the dungeon designing works.

16. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    So after playing folklore for a bit, I have some really mixed feelings about it.

A lot of the graphics are nice, some just because of design, others because they're nice graphics. A lot of the audio is good too.

But, the piano soundtrack is fucking annoying. I hate it, I'm tired of it. It doesn't go away. The slow excruciating random piano notes just drive me nuts.

The action is really good. You have a lot of variety with attacks, you don't always need every folk, as some are better general use than others, but it's a pretty good system. Oh, and leveling up the folks by unlocking karma with little achievements and stuff is a nice touch.

Now that I got the action out of the way, here's the games biggest downfall: the pacing. You can end up stuck wandering around town reading(yes, reading. No voiceovers here except for cut-scenes) text for 10-15 minutes at a time to try and get involved in a mediocre story that doesn't make sense. I'm not going to discuss the story, since I don't want to spoil it, but it reminds me of being stuck watching murder-she-wrote with my grandma, and a hint of some random soap opera.

The other problem with the pacing, is that when running around in the environment where enemies are, you clear one "room", walk through the hall to the next "room", and get greeted with a loading screen. This happens, a LOT. Plus, when some of these rooms are empty for no apparent reason, or just have one of a hundred useless npc's that spew some random text to you, you get to run to the next loading screen to actually get something done.

It's sad that such a potentially good game, got shafted by budget cuts(the lack of voice acting and animated dialog sequences), an anoyingly simple soundtrack, and such weird pacing that makes it seem like some guy in charge of design was too artsy-fartsy about everything.

Don't get me wrong, it's by no means a horrible game. But if you can't stand something that drags on every few minutes, look elsewhere.

17. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I like it so far. It's nice to play something a little different for once. I can forgive having to read text because it is an RPG. The cinemas used in it are very nice looking. Even Final Fantasy X had lots of text to read.

I do have a question. In level One with Ellen, how do you catch the Cait Sihde? Bastards keep running away from me.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno, I'm still balancing my time between Folklore, and Final Fantasy Tactics on PSP.

19. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Zombie thread.

I was wondering if anyone has picked up any of the new content packs, seems like they are putting a lot of effort into this game and they might be worth it.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I got the Free Xmas one. I actually traded this game a few months back and then rebought it because I missed it and because I saw all the cool add-ons on PSN. As far as i can tell, they are worth it and interesting additions to the story. The game got a second wind for me because I am enjoying the hell outta it.