Minor/Repaint: Practice makes perfect

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OldsCut78, Apr 1, 2009.

1. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

I need to get some of my painting down right before I start any major projects. So please feel free to give me pointers. Or point out anything I did wrong. Thanks Olds

Attached Files:

2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    It's hard to give any crit because the pics are blurry,but it looks like you've done a really good job.

3. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    it looks pretty good to me.if i was to suggest anything it would probably be to maybe add a bit more smaller paint/details just to help break up the colors a bit.but the paint apps look good so far!!

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Paint application looks good, but I would question the colors. The tank treads would probably look better in a flat color, you could leave it black and just coat ti in a dullcote from testors.

If you wanted to take it one step further after that, you could take a metallic color and drybrush the treads and wheels. That comes down to a more personal tastes of what you like, but it allows you to bring out details better while gaining some realism.

5. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

I plan on some smaller paint apps this weekend. Just wanted to get it seen before then to see if the main colors need any work. Thanks for the pointers.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    It looks good, nice and smooth, but I'm thinking that maybe you put a few too many coats of paint on it. It doesn't look bad, but it seems like things are rounded off due to extra-thick paint.

7. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

The paintjob is good, but I agree that it needs some details. And one more thing is this a TF or some KO?

8. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

Machine Wars Soundwave

9. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

So you're making this into more like Soundwave or a new character. But still it looks cool when its finished.

10. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Try using the macro setting on your camera when taking close up pictures, it helps the focus.

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Id have to say yoour off to a good start. The paint is nice and even, which means you didn't rush the paint and that you painted in thin layers. I think the black may need to be touched up with another coat on the weapon, but a good start, man. :thumb 

12. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

The weapons I did not paint. They are just reissue PM Prime guns.

13. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

I am going for a new character. This mold really doesn't fit Soundwave. I am working on a name and bio.

14. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I cant see anything wrong, apart from the blurry photos :p 

I cans ee a bit of shadowing in the blue, i can see some lighter shades of blue poking through, probably the basecoat or original toy color. I recommend you thin your paint down a bit if you havnt already, and apply some more very light coats just to even things out.

Apart from that its fine, not too dull or matte which is a mistake too many people make when painting a toy which represents a robot thats made out of metal, but it isnt too glossy either which would make it look unrealistic and gooey.

Since you plan on adding details then i wont say anything about the lack of them. Show us some more WIP's once youve added them as well because small details and how well they are applied can make or break a custom more than the top coat of paint itself at times. :thumbs2: 

What kind of paint are you using btw?

15. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Oh yeah, I see what the other commenters mean about the blurry pics. Does your camera have a macro mode? I have a simple point-and-shoot (Canon Powershot A560, cost maybe $130) but it has a macro mode that lets me take great close-up shots. Also a light tent/macro studio would eliminate the need for a flash, which makes many things harder to see.

16. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very cool. I like the figure too. I practice my painting on a power ranger. He looks like a rainbow ranger.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Paint is pretty clean.

18. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

:lol , Rainbow Ranger!