PR: Jungle Fury Boxset Review

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Paladin, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Adapting the merchandise (and specifically, the mecha) from a Super Sentai series for its American counterpart has always been an unusual process. Sometimes the American counterparts are quite faithful to the original (SPD), sometimes key components are left out (DinoThunder) and sometimes the people in charge just say SCREW IT and design their own "new" Zords (Operation Overdrive).

Jungle Fury apparently chose the "All Of The Above" plan of attack when it came time to Americanize the Zords. First, BOA released the initial 2 Megazords at the typical $39.99 pricepoint to appease long-term collectors. Then, to properly utilize the multi-Zord combining feature for this year, BOA downsized the first Megazord and released it again at a cheaper price-point ($19.99) with multi-packs of re-molded Zords specially designed to work with this smaller Megazord launched at about the same time. Its innovative, its economical and its one of the most remarkable strategies BOA has ever displayed.

[​IMG]

Toys 'R Us, always up for a good exclusive, has put together a box set featuring the primary Megazord and a good majority of the Auxiliary Zords at the same price point as the original Megazord. Its a really good deal, so I decided to pick it up.

[​IMG]

This is the primary combination of Tiger, Jaguar and Cheetah- affectionately titled the "Jungle Pride Megazord." The overall design is very faithful to the original but the plastic is somewhat lower quality and the electronics have been removed. I don't mind the loss of electronics at all, the original had a strange spinning gimmick that really affected the articulation in a bad way.

[​IMG]

First Auxiliary Zord this year is the Elephant (a stable in most Sentai/Ranger series' with animal-based Zords) which adds on to give the Jungle Pride a mace-like weapon. Its probably the least changed from its GekiRanger counterpart; aside from the size change its almost completely the same.

[​IMG]

The Bat Zord is the next add-on and is the first Zord to make the changes from Sentai counterparts obvious. The wings are molded solid and can't "flap" like the original. Also, the connector ports that allowed the Megazord arms to grab the Bat-wings have been removed here. But the design is still good.

[​IMG]

Shark Zord has definitely suffered the most in the American transfer. The arm-blades that attach to Jungle-Pride are mounted on small, somewhat flimsy pegs. They're difficult to attach and can't pose nearly as well as I would like.

[​IMG]

I missed most of the Gekiranger series so I don't even remember how the Black Lion joined the group, but it was apparently significant enough to merit inclusion in the toyline. Jungle Fury has (amazingly) IMPROVED the Lion's combination; it can actually hold the tail-armor as a sword-like weapon while the Geki original could only balance it precariously on one shoulder.

[​IMG]

Chameleon Zord forms a small missile launcher. Its not interesting enough to earn a picture all by itself, so I'm coupling it with the Wolf Zord-which forms a leg. In the original, that's where the Wolf's versatility ended. But Jungle Fury, in addition to re-sizing the molds, have added new connection points to Wolf, Jaguar and Cheetah-allowing them to serve as legs OR arms!

[​IMG]

Supposedly, there is a fouth as-yet-unreleased Zord, tentatively titled the "Claw Cannon Zord" that completes that unusual combination.

[​IMG]

Ugly thing, but I might pick it up if & when it finally hits shelves.

[​IMG]

(Just going a little nuts with all the add-ons. :D )

I'd have to say I was amazingly impressed with this boxset. Despite the plastic quality issues, the Zords are for the most part FUN-which is all that really matters.

Jungle Fury has succeeded where Operation Overdrive failed; modifying the Japanese designs for the US market yet still remaining faithful to the spirit of the series. I look forward to seeing what else could come from this line.

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

It's already out. In the separate individual sets for the Transforming Megazords, the Claw Cannon Zord is packaged in the $20 set that comes with the Black Lion, Chameleon, and Wolf.

[​IMG]

I didn't know about the swappable limbs gimmick until now, so that might actually make getting the separate sets more useful to me. But I have to find the Battle Megazord set first...

3. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

I still think that Disney has screwed the Power Ranger franchise ever since S.P.D.

4. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    can we see some pics of all of them in animal mode?

5. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    [​IMG]

I'll work up some more later. If there are any requests, please speak up.

6. Crown_Athlete

Crown_Athlete Well-Known Member

20 bucks for the whole set? I might pick that up. I'd pay 20 for just Gekitouja and Rio and Mele's mechs.

7. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

FYI: Dollar General stores have these for $15 right now. They're part of our holiday toy lineup. I've been seeing a lot of current toys at better prices than the big-box stores.

8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

This boxed set, the one exclusive to Toys'R'Us, retails for $40. But individually, the Transforming sets (Jungle Pride, Roar Max, Battle) cost $20 each, so the loss of the Claw Cannon Zord nonetheless saves you $20 on the rest.

Sounds awesome to me, especially if they're getting in the Battle Megazord set. I thought it was actually out, but I haven't seen it anywhere, plus the whole lack of images aside from the boxes.

9. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Could you take a pic of the Jungle Pride with the Lion armor and the wolf as an arm? If you can fit the lion over the wolf, I'm sold.

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    We come from France to consume mass quantities.
    or
    Do you like my hat?

11. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've seen photos of that set before but to my knowledge nobody has found it at retail. If someone has photos of it (with a receipt) and wants to prove me wrong, be my guest.

Sorry, but the shoulder armor like the Black Lion only works with the connector points on the Tiger arm.

12. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

I have. I didn't get a picture of the box or buy because I don't own a Jungle Pride Megazord, but I thought it was 'as ugly as hell'. I found it at a Target around where I live.

13. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Really? You've seen that 3rd Zord set? Any chance I can persuade you to hook me up with one?

14. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would be all over this set if I didn't already put down money for the first two transforming sets. But the battle megazord is indeed nice.

Does the shard zord stick n well to the arms>
    My shard zord doesn't even peg onto the arms.

15. Flame-on

Flame-on Well-Known Member

Hey paladin how big is the megazord?

16. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The main Megazord from this set is about the size of a Cybertron Ultra, roughly about 9 or 10 inches tall.

17. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

No.... I don't think I could.

18. racnruin

racnruin Decepticon

19. Flame-on

Flame-on Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.:thumbs2: