PP-01 vs Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by comacaz, Nov 24, 2011.

1. comacaz

comacaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was looking to get a good G1 prime, and instantly began looking at the masterpiece figures, specifically MP-01 and MP-04. But then I saw the PP-01 and thought that he might be a better deal. I know there is no die cast, and he is smaller, but I just wanted to know some people's thoughts about igear's pp-01 before I pre-ordered one for next year.

★PP01 Simplified Version(Preorder&Free Shipping!)

Yea it is the simplified version, but all I really want is the figure and the gun anyway :D  haha.

Thanks for the opinions!

2. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He is alot more in scale with deluxes, voyagers, and a few MPs. He's a little flimsy though.

3. comacaz

News Credits:
    Flimsy in joints or quality of plastic? And I think I'll primarily use him as a standalone figure, might get some other PP figures from igear, but who knows. So size should be fine for me I think

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    If you're going to use him as a stand alone figure then I'd go with Masterpiece.

6. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    PP01 is fairly light and delicate with all his parts; I'd say on par with the MP Seekers as far as construction, right down to pieces that are meant to pop off (and can be popped back on, such as his wrist guards so he can more easily slide his fists in and out as well as plug in his energon axe).

This lightness and delicacy leads some to come away with a "cheap" feeling. Personally, I'd say he's more display piece than toy. But he's an AWESOME display piece and really fits in well with the Classics Bots and MP figures like the Seekers and Grimlock. Even FansProject City Commander looks great with him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first run of figures had QC issues. The 2nd edition (which I have) had better QC and fewer problems with broken parts (mine is fine aside from the odd paint app error, which was easily fixable myself with some silver paint). This upcoming 3rd release of PP01 is supposedly even better mold-wise, and even comes with his cartoon accurate head, which really does look great and evokes cartoon Optimus Prime very strongly (much better than MP-10's anime-stylized head with his dead eyes, IMO).

However, it'll lack the mini Megatron gun and energon axe of the previous releases, along with no fabric cape or pieces to fit over the cab lights to secure the cape, no extra ion rifle (with a rounded 5mm peg handle for G1 or Classics/Henkei Voyager Prime), and no Megatron or Orion Pax heads. Still, I highly recommend PP01 if you're looking for an affordable Prime in scale with Classics and the smaller MPs, and don't want/need a trailer.

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's a great figure, and I'm more of a classics guy than a materpiece guy, so he's fits in great with them, as the last post's pictures show

8. comacaz

News Credits:
    Sweet! Thanks for the posts guys, really helped me out

9. The Crow

The Crow ARK BUILDER!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am in the same boat as you comacaz, My collection is pretty much strictly classics and looking into replacing my Classics Optimus with PP01 to be the new leader and PP05W & PP01M for the new Ratchet and Ironhide. My hope is that they all blend in well with my collection.

Also going after the Superalloy Powerglide and the igear minibots.

10. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Huh, now that Faith Leader is brought back up, I don't think there was ever a comparison with MP10. Is there anyone out there with both who can provide the goods?:) 

11. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Ratchet & Ironhide might be too tall but if you consider the fact that they're considered Optimus' lieutenants then it makes sense for them to be bigger like in the movieverse or in the WFC fiction.

12. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Faith Leader is great. I actually have the much-maligned first run of him and still think he's great. Haven't had a single problem, and he comes with the anime head that the second run didn't come with. Evidently the third run will also have the anime head. I'm wondering if it will be retooled to allow it to transform with it on- the first run can't.

Anyway I guess other peoples PP-01s suffered from bad QC, but not mine. No problems at all.

He fits great with a classics collection and pretty well with an MP collection (well, the Seekers and Grimlock anyway, who also could be shoehorned into classics due to some flexibility with how their scale is depicted).

If you're displaying him alone or with MP-5 Megatron, though, go with Masterpiece. The American versions can be had cheaper than Faith Leader and the Japanese versions are dropping in price due to MP-10. He's much bigger, heavier, and better made than Faith Leader. By himself, he's better.

Another thing to consider is that Faith Leader has no trailer scaled to fit him (though the Fansproject G3 trailer seems pretty good), whereas MP has several options. Ironically, iGear also makes a MP Prime Trailer, but it's for the Has/Tak MP Prime whereas their own Prime remains trailerless.

Anyway, TL;DR: it depends on the display.

13. HulksmashU

HulksmashU Multiversal-Conqueror

I figured you would be best off with MP-10, defently the best MP Prime dispite the lack of dicast outside his center of gravity. Also, he is in scale with some of the movie transformers like leader prime, If you wanted to have a continuity crossover type of display at some point.

14. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'll chime in here and also say Faith Leader is great.

Personally, I don't think he feels cheap at all. It's only because people tend to compare him with his official MP-01 predecessor. As others have said, Faith Leader is lighter, so he doesn't have that heavy "quality" feel MP-01 has. I agree with Timesynch here, in that he feels very much like the MP Seekers.

Whoa - awesome pics. I always assumed City Commander was too small for him, but maybe I'm mistaken on that.

I'm still going to wait and see what Takara cooks up MP-wise, but maybe City Commander is an option... btw, where did you get that gatling gun for Warpath?

At any rate, I too recommend getting Faith Leader, especially now that you can pick him up more cheaply (who needs the cape and extra heads, anyway?). If you want a nice, uniform looking G1 display, Faith Leader is the perfect Prime to go with your Autobot CHUGs, MP Grimlock, and the MP Seekers.

15. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ratchet and Ironhide were often drawn quite a bit bigger than the other Autobots in the old cartoon, so I think it'll work.

16. Timesynch

News Credits:
    Yeah, I always thought it was odd that iGear didn't downscale their own custom Prime trailer for PP01. That'd be money right there. I did just recently pick up the FP G3 trailer over at the BBTS Black Friday sale for $63, and it seems to scale OK with PP01 from pictures I've seen but the two can't actually connect together so the trailer just rests over the hitch (some wheels slightly off the ground too I hear). A bit of a bummer there but I bought the G3 trailer for my Henkei Voyager Prime and the chromed weapons for my Classics Bots, and I can still use the trailer as a repair bay for PP01 in bot mode.

Thanks, glad you appreciate them!

FP CC is actually a hair shorter than PP01 Faith Leader if you stand up both straight side by side. But with CC's limited poseability (due to his heft and add-on pieces getting in the way of articulation) and if you pose PP01 in a battle stance (bent knees and all), you can barely tell the difference (that is, if you subscribe to the theory that UM and OP are both of equal height and stature, as I do; at least they seemed to be of similar size in the cartoon from what I remember--G1 scale being what it is at any rate). CC is cool and all just standing there but his anime proportions and non-G1 faithful design in alt mode are pet peeves, so maybe Takara can do it better (and finally convince me to pick up their MP-10-based UM).

Here's another pic of PP01 (original head) and CC together.

[​IMG]

Faith Leader gets maligned a lot simple due to the controversy behind his design (shrunk down MP Prime and IP/mold infringement and all that jazz) but taken purely as a figure (and leaving fanboy emotions out of the equation), he's pretty nice (QC notwithstanding -- but first runs are often riddled with issues; just look at MP-09). It's amazing what iGear was able to do to get him to be scaled down at all (the lack of diecast helps a lot). He still transforms, has his Matrix of Leadership gimmick, has nice chrome where it counts (smokestacks, ab grill, and bumper), rubber tires (with working suspension -- even his feet has suspension), flip out communicators on his arms, individually articulated fingers, and the little pistons on his arms and legs (with working vents in his shins) -- very impressive work even if iGear took the design from HasTak.

Agreed that $75 shipped for an improved mold PP01 with the toon accurate head (which I do have and is pictured in my photos, by the way--bought it separately off eBay by sheer luck), that's a great deal. He may be missing his nicer accessories like the extra ion rifle, mini Megatron gun, and energon axe (and the fabric cape is actually very nice and high quality too but I rarely use it), but still a good purchase (the Megatron and Orion Pax heads are useless though).

Oh, the gatling gun I got from here M.S.G Modeling Support Goods Weapon Unit 20 Gatling Gun AmiAmi English Site -- it's a glueless model kit that snaps together and even includes a little geared motor that you can wind up to turn the barrel. Highly recommended for Deluxe and Voyager sized bots. I like it so much I bought two more from a toy store when I was in Japan.

17. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I realize i may just come down to a cost issue, but I have to ask why isn't mp-10 being considered/compared as well?

MP-10 has pretty much solved every issue I ever had with my MP 01 (technically US version). I think the sculpt is a bit better as well.

The only downside i can see to this (other than price) is that MP 01 or MP 04 have to be displayed against MP Megatron.

18. Timesynch

News Credits:
    Cost may be an issue (as you said), especially if one doesn't want or need a trailer. (And $250+ for a single figure is asking a lot. Besides, the OP only wanted comparisons between PP01 and MP-01/04 so that's why MP-10 wasn't considered since we were answering his question/thread.) Aesthetics is another issue; beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the proportions and overly anime-stylized design of MP-10 is a turn off to some folks (such as myself -- I personally think PP01 with the toon accurate head is a better representation of G1 Prime than MP-10). Scale is also another consideration. MP-10 is the size of a Leader class figure (PP01 is Ultra sized) and may be too big for some people's tastes depending on their collection and display intentions. In a lot of cases, bigger isn't always better. As for Megatron, well, that's a consideration too. PP02 Horror Monarch is still in development limbo, while rumors of a new Takara Megatron v2 (to go with MP-10) are still just that, rumors. MP-01/04 does look great together with MP-05, I'll give it that.

[​IMG]

And here's a picture I found (not mine) depicting scale with MP-01 OP, MP-05 Megatron, MP-08 Grimlock, MP-09 Hot Rod/imus, MP-10 New Prime, and the PP01U Ultra Magnus white repaint of Faith Leader (I don't think he has the toon accurate head since his antennae are pointing straight up rather than angled up).

19. tactikill decoy

tactikill decoy Well-Known Member

go with mp-10. no doubt. the new mp-10 convoy masterpiece optimus prime is scaled to the transformers movie line, measuring great to leader class optimus, and the deluxe bumblebee. the chrome, detail, articulation are superior to all others to date, check out the reviews on youtube. its worth it!!!

20. comacaz

News Credits:
    Wow, thanks a ton. I just went and pre-ordered PP-01. Also considering the ratchet and ironhide, especially since ironhide is one of my favorites.

And the only reason that I didn't ask for Mp-10 was mainly cost. It doesn't matter to me if I have a trailer or not, I just wanted a solid OP that looked great. Since a lot of people love PP-01, the scale works with the other figures, and he's WAY cheaper than MP-10... or any MP, I think he's my go to guy.

Loved all the feedback and pictures, thanks again!