PP-01 Faith Leader gets a bad rep

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I just got my PP-01 Faith Leader and I have to say, the guy really gets a bad rep. I am not sure how much of a difference there is between v1 and v2, but I have v2.

To me, the figure has some good weight behind it. It doesn't weigh what MP-01 weighs, but I wasn't expecting that. It is definately heavier then most other figures I own.

As for the build quality/plastic, I really do not see the issue with it. The plastic so far feels pretty good. I will mess around with him more, but I have to say on this figure, from my initial reaction, I feel like he gets an unfair break.

2. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    I think it was fine and I think the people that have him are pretty positive about him. It's just that the people who dislike him like to repeat themselves over and over and a majority of the hate just comes from people just having a personal vendetta against 3rd party companies and their "ways"

3. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    It's a knock-off ZoMGz!!
    That's pretty much the only reason people hate it. It's basically a scaled down version of an official Has/Tak product and people don't like it because it's "unoriginal." I personally think it's smart, since they knew it would sell and Hasbro wouldn't put it out.

4. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

I can start this off with:

I do not do knockoff's in my collection

I do not like non Has/Tak Transformer anything

That being said and me being stubborn. I have now held, played with and partially transformed this figure. It's actually pretty damn good from what I can tell. It's no where near as heavy as the real MP Prime, but it does have some weight to it.

I was kinda surprised by it to tell u the truth.

I just can't justify the $90 on up it runs cause it's not real:D 

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't have the figure and never had any real issue with the figure itself. I just have a big issue with plagarism.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    was going to keep quiet but your post forced me to speak up.

Has/Taktomy did put out MP Prime Igear Knocked it off and made it smaller, thats all they did all the hard work of designing it was done for them. Igear is as much if not more of KO company than a 3rd party company.

7. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just recently received mine, and comparing the two, yeah, it's not MP quality, but it wasn't intended to. It works fine for what I want it to be, a placeholder of comparable size in my CHUG stuff, but that's really all it is, no more, no less. Fine for what it is, but not also the bastardized child some may make it out to me.

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I am not sure if I would even call this a KO to be honest. They did put a lot of work into this.

1- Shrinking down something is actually harder then doing a 1 to 1 mold.
    2- They replaced the Metal with Plastic, which is hard as well, considering how they replicated the parts.

So I am not sure I am in the same boat with it being a KO. Not sure exactly what it is, but I know it is nice.

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I liked the one I had. ;) . I only decided to sell it because a). I needed money for my plane ticket to Botcon and b). Faith Leader was better in scale with Grimlock and the Seekers, but now that Rodimus is out, he's way too small.

10. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I love mine. I have Faith and Nemesis.

[​IMG]

11. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    V1 had serious quality control issues that V2 fixed. With that said, it's still a great figure and in near perfect scale with MP grimlock.

12. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I like mine. I don't make a habit of buying things I don't or won't like though:) 

13. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    What I meant was that even though Has/Tak put out Masterpiece Prime, they didn't put out a smaller version in scale with the rest of the Masterpiece line besides Megs like a lot of fans wanted. Sorry for the confusion :eek: 

14. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Was gonna back you up on that (I understood what you meant) but you covered it. :)  I had wanted something looking like the MP Prime in a Voyager to Ultra class Mainly to go with some other figures in my shelf (never liked the Classics Prime toy). Igear did it. KO company, 3rd-party company, either way I got what I wanted. He's a great piece to have, and I have both him and MP01. Couldn't be happier. :) 

Though yeah, I do wish Igear would do some original work. But that's just not going to be their style any time soon.

15. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So what are the QC differences between V1 & V2?

16. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

"Improved joints and an added waist magnet"

17. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Ok, I respect that PP-01 is a good toy. Lets get that out of the way. And Alucard, most of what you say, is true. Why would anyone "expect" it to weight like MP Prime?

However, personally, I don't have a lot of respect for iGear as a 3rd party company. Yes, they shrinked the MP prime mold into something that we really like because it is in scale. However, thus far, most of their designs are very unoriginal. It is a very direct copy of what Has/Tak have been doing.

To me, that's "alright" in a sense that, well, they are giving fans what they want, in the scale they want. That's cool.

However, being an engineer myself and having done designs, I don't give them a high standing for their "design". The reason why groups like Perfect effect and Fansproject are revered as 3rd party is because their engineering is original (while building on G1 homages), and that their design is impressive.

From holding say, an FP Crossfire-X2 set in your hands, I think of "wow, this is impressive engineering and design. They really thought throughly" You can see from playing with it, that the designers put a lot of thoughts into it.

From holding a PP-01 into your hands, I think "wow, I finally got the masterpiece prime, in scale!", But you won't "praise" iGear for their well done engineering and design. That design was Has/Tak's, and they made it "work" in the right scale. That's all.

Ofcourse, it is harder to shrink a mold than to do a 1 to 1 mold.
    But it is also harder to do an entirely new mold than do a mold shrink.

What I can agree with is that iGear gave fans what they wanted. While it may not be original, it was what's in demand.

In summary, for me its not because iGear is bad because they shrink or copy molds. Its more like other 3rd Parties like FP and PE put so much more effort into their design that sets the standard of 3rd Party companies at least for me.

18. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

..and once again, an iGear thread goes from discussing the figure to people's personal views toward the co behind the figure.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    my apologies. I thought I indicated what I thought of PP-01 as a toy, and also commented on as a "design", only because certain posts in this thread indicated a view that I do not fully agree on. Talking about its "design" have to bring back iGear though.

20. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Got a question. I'm thinking of buying one of these from TFSource on ebay. Here's a link:
    TRANSFORMERS PP01 MASTERPIECE OPTIMUS PRIME IGEAR IN US - eBay (item 370486954646 end time Mar-24-11 00:06:41 PDT)
    I can not tell if this is version one or version two as the description does not say. Unless I missed it.

Anyway as I have MP04 and love it, I decided to get my hands on the Takara Hybrid Style Prime and was considering this PP-01 figure as well. I like having different scales of same figure.

Is he worth it? Is this particular one on ebay V1 or V2? Is the difference enough to make it worth getting V2 over V1? Should I not worry about V1 or just wait till I find V2?

I'm new to Igear so that's why all the questions. Thanks! Good to know he's a good figure though despite being a knock-off or not an original depending on how you wanna look at it.