3D Artwork: Powermaster Optimus Prime WIP

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Cataraks, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Cataraks

Cataraks Decepticon Cannibal

I thought I'd do a nifty little WIP project for the board.

Here's powermaster Optimus Prime, as of... oh, an hour and a half of modelling. He's not much, and I still need to find a pic of him without the engine plopped in to complete the front.

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I suppose every project has to start somewhere. I'll keep an eye on this. Keep us posted.

3. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

Looking forward to this - decent PM Op pieces are rare things indeed. :D 

Rob

4. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

i see greatness in the making dont leave us hanging

5. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

hes got the right shape cant wait to see him finished

6. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good so far. can't wait till the updates!

7. Cataraks

Here's him after a couple more hours of work.
    I'm starting to see the problem that the toymakers had in keeping him moveable. I think for added effect I'll put a pipe of some sort that comes out of the side of his chest, into the arm, for added support. Add some pistons for the side motion.

8. Cataraks

I finally got another hour and a half or so to add in the grill, the hips, and start on the legs.

What'cha think so far? Once I finish up the legs I'll post again, and then another after I finish up the back. Then after I finish his weapons, I'll post them in their own special renders, and finally I'll put up a good scene with him complete in it.

Oh, and sometime in there I'll slip in his powermaster component ;) 

9. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I have to say that you're modeling skills are definitely improving, though something I've noticed is that it doesn't look like you're arms are going to have any articulation beyond 90 degrees in either direction, and some other poseability may be limited. Not sure if this is an issue for you though. Depending on how much articulation you need, it may not matter.

Some good stuff though. It'll look cool to see him all finished. :D 

10. Cataraks

Nope, his arms will move just fine. See, what will happen is that the blue flap will control his side rotation. The red portion of the shoulder will then rotate forward and backwards, with the gear that makes up the elbow being able to rotate left and right.
    See, same amount of movement, just kind of split up.

11. Cataraks

after another hour and a half of work (and ungodly amounts of time just waiting for a render) I've altered the texture, and put more details on the head.
    I think I'll finish him up sometime soon. I took a break, time to get back into the swing of things.

Attached Files:

12. Cataraks

Another hour and a half and... he's got feet!
    Also, I set up a new style of rendering. Area lights take FOREVER to render using radiosity. So, I simply shown a light onto a highly specular, reflective square above Prime. The result is that a simple, quick rendering spotlight shines light onto a panel and bounces off, spraying out in the general shape that an area light would.

Attached Files:

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    What I do is put a spotlight with falloff to one side & front of the model, and use an HDRI image as a main lighting source. I then save theimage as a .tga file, and load it into Photoshop, and add a plain background.
    Incidentally, the Lightwave 8.5 upgrade (which just came out this week) is MUCH faster at rendering, especially radiosity renders (damn good news for me, I have to say), and apparently LW9 will be a HELl of a lot faster.

14. Cataraks

sweet mama jehosafat. I better get that, lol.

I have a hard time finding HDRI pictures, though, and I'm a little unclear on how to set it up as a main lighting source. I've tried before, and got... no result o_O 

I hadn't added any falloff to this guy's light setup though. In addition to the light, I still use a front light and a fill light, simply because if I want to change the color or whatnot it's easy to, and I can light specific areas.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    OK, a quick explanation for ya.
    An HDR (High Dynamic Range) image contains an extra set of information which can be used by an appropriate app as lighting information; it is possible to light scene, using radiosity, using JUST an HDR image. (of course, extra light used in the righ places do add more shadow detail, and so on). To use one in Lightwave, open the Backdrop panel, and add "Image World from the Environments dropdown. Select your HDRI pic as the Light Probe Image, and adjust the brightness accordingly. it's a lot easier than it seems, trust me. You might want to blur the image a little in LW's image editor is you get too many "bright spots". Remember, you HAVE to use radiosity to get any benefit from an HDRI setup. It won't work with "normal" lighting options. As with all radiosity renders, you need to use antialiasing; this is what those groovy "enhanced" AA options are for.
    As for where to get them, there are a few decent images that ship with Lightwave, and a Google search should yield you a few starter images. There's also a program called HDRShop (I think) that will let you create your own. If that wasn't enough, LW will also save out HDRI images; select the "Radiance" file format for saving, in the Rendering options, or when you save a still render.
    Practically every shot in Redemption Episode Two (definitely all the exterior shots) is being rendered with radiosity. I have a superb HDR sky image that I can use for the ambient light, setting radiosity to "Background"; using the FPrime renderer plugin (which I cannot reccommend enough) my rendering times are more than acceptable.
    Anyway. Hope that helps d00d. Let me know how you get on, and feel free to PM me with any other stuff I can help on.
    Falloff on lights is a Godsend. Take my word for it.