Minor/Repaint: Powerizer Prime Shoulder Mods

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MechaKnight, May 11, 2012.

1. MechaKnight

MechaKnight Autobot

More of a Prototype really, because as much as I DO enjoy the powerizor prime, I enjoyed the way the shoulders worked on the First Edition better and I wanted to find a way to fix this without making his vehicle mode look weird.

So I drilled a little hole, stuck a pin in and viola. It's not much but it's something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Tarrn

Tarrn Bikeformer Fanboy

Took me a moment to realise what you'd done - I thought you were talking about a mod to the actual shoulder part. Good job on the folding light piece - is there a way to fix the pin in place at the ends, or is it just tight enough anyway that there's no danger of it slipping out?

3. MechaKnight

MechaKnight Autobot

Sadly, I have not figured out how to prevent it from slipping out other than thinking about adding a bit of glue or some sort of bonding liquid to the rough tips of the pins. I extracted these from another junk figure. Another solution would be to managed to slip in a pin just a PINCH larger than the one I used. These pins came from the elbows of Powerizor Megatron.

Though one drawback is that it prevents his arms from lifting up all the way. More or less this was a test to see if I could do it. Albeit crude, I accomplished that.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Huh, does that improve movement? I also like how your mod hides the lights, nice;) 

I don't know how easy it is to find rods/pins in the US or elsewhere, but you can find them in just about any hobby shop in Japan in varying sizes--I purchased 3 rods, 1.5mm thick and 15cm long at a local hobby shop for 170-yen to replace a few pins in my Hercules. The back of my packaging says you can purchase rods in six different sizes: .3, .5, .8, 1.0, 1.5, and 2mm.

Anyway, if you shorten up your ends by just a tad and fill the holes with putty, sand it, paint it and put a top coat on it, that might keep your pins in place.

5. caretaker27

caretaker27 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have been looking into something simililar. Is it possible to attach the light bars to the bottom of the chest on a ball joint so they actually form their correct position in both modes? this does look nice though.

6. MechaKnight

MechaKnight Autobot

Hm, Putty would most likely work. But then again I'm new at this so I might just screw it up somehow, ha. Here's hoping.

I thought about it once and attempted something similar. In theory it would work, but in practice it's a little more difficult. I considered something like trying to attach a ball joint like you said, but the first time I tried that was a failure and I wasn't sure how to rectify that. If you happen to figure out how to do a solid mod with that technique, please let me know. Though in theory, without hindering the transformation, it MIGHT be possible to maybe attach some putty to the sides of the window (I suggest putty because it can be molded and sanded a little more easily) and then attack a ball joint to the lights and a pocket to the mold or whatever you put on the side, it MIGHT work...Though it would mean some slight modifications to the backpack would need to be maid, but then again I don't think anyone would mind. Or maybe it wouldn't have to go that far...I'll try and come up with something tonight.

7. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks like the only way to make the lights move how they do in the show would be a moving arm, with a balljoint mount on the lights to rotate them up & out for bot mode, but in & flat for the alt mode.

8. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Good mod. It doesn't really bother me in the position it's in though.

9. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    liljdude,

How on earth did you paint Prime's eye? I've been looking for something small enough to add paint there, but everything seems a bit too big. I even tried a toothpick:confused: 

10. MechaKnight

MechaKnight Autobot

I actually didn't do anything. It is the way the camera flash made the eyes look that made it look so funky. Sorry man.

Also, I may not be able to show results like I thought, finding the right kind of joint is a little more difficult than I thought, but I will keep looking.

11. MechaKnight

MechaKnight Autobot

Ok, I tried a trick with some balljoints, but I just can't get them attached firmly enough to the lights to pop them into the chest without them popping off.. Any recommendations?

12. MechaKnight

MechaKnight Autobot

Alright! After some trial and error, I think I've finally got something good!

After Drilling a hole here and on the other side...

[​IMG]

and attach a ball join on the appropriate sides of the lights after removing them from the shoulders...

[​IMG]

And then you get this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it takes some precision and there's no guarantee this'll hold forever, so as added insurance, I'm going to get some molding stuffs and make some replicas of these, that way they are all one solid piece of plastic rather than two pieces bonded together. But I think I'm finally making some progress!

Attached Files:

13. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is great, I'm definitely going to try this. Do the shoulders need any future modding or do they just sit down on top since the tabs from the light bar were part of the light bar & not vice versa?

14. MechaKnight

MechaKnight Autobot

The shoulders themselves are virtually done as soon as you take the light tabs off, though sometimes they may need some touchups because sometimes it can show that something used to be there. Apart from the mods I showed you, I would recommend digging EVER SO CAREFULLY into the back of the light bars so you can have a little notch to stick the balljoints into after using some epoxy glue. I also found out a touch of hot glue can work as well. If you're also wondering, I bought the ball joints off of Hobby Link Japan. They were the smallest size they had.

But when adding grooves into the lights, BE EXTRA CAREFUL, as it is easy to dig down too far and you end up with some weird LUMP on the other side.

15. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :thumbs2:  cool, thanks!

16. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

A thing of beauty is a joy forever...
    Excellent work, glad you persisted until you found a solution :thumb 

17. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

Attached Files:

18. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

cud you upload sum pix of ur OP in truck mod with the light mod want to see how the mod works with the truck mod tanx