POWERGLIDE KO Jizai Toys XTransbot by CHMS

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by gijoeben1, Nov 15, 2011.

1. gijoeben1

gijoeben1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So I was really excited to see that someone (ANYONE) was going to do this figure. Loved the original Jizai figure but it was simply out of my price range. Same goes for Wheelie and Cyclonus. (I REALLY hope someone does Cyclonus).

I received the Super Alloy Wheelie some time back and was REALLY happy with it. Today I received my order for the KO Jizai Powerglide figure, and wish I had the same joy about it. The lack of die-cast doesn't bother me, nor does its size. I am really not too worried about the stressing of the plastic after one transformation. But the loose bits really bother me.

Its a really nice figure, but the arms always feel like they are going to pop off, and the landing gear on the wings are always falling out in Jet mode. The landing gear is an easy fix. A little red paint inside the joint will do the trick, and the arms are fixable as well though a bit more work. Considering the tightness on the Super Alloy Wheelie, I have to think their version of this figure is going to be better executed that this version. Glad I got this, he looks good on the shelf, but I will be on the lookout for the Super Alloy version. KO Toys has a Cobra Rattler themed version (GI Joe crossover) of this figure on their site, and that I will get at least 2 of for the novelty as I'm also a GI Joe Collector.

Pics are with Super Alloy Wheelie and the new Wheeljack.

Attached Files:

2. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for your review. I wasn't really impressed the Wheelie figure so I decided to go with the Xtransbot route on these figures. I have been seeing mixed reviews on this figure especially with the joints, some people say they are tight some say they are loose. I should get mine sometime this week. It has been sitting at the local post office processing since the 13th, WTF.

3. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Powerglide is very G1 accurate

4. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Where did you order yours? I ordered one from RobotKingdom a few weeks back and haven't even received so much as a shipping notice.

5. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    he looks great i just feel he is lacking some molding detail or lines or something in botmode that would help him fit on a classics shelf, otherwise he just looks simple and out of place next to the modern updates of the classics figures

6. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got mine in the mail yesterday. The scale is what is this guys biggest redeeming factor. I didn't have any stress marks on mine, but the biggest and most annoying issue is the arms popping off at the ball joint. Not sure what could make this better. Maybe scuffing up the ball with some fine sandpaper so a lil friction will help keep it in the socket? Any Radicons suggestions would be appreciated.

7. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got my Powerglide Friday. Mines also doesn't have any stress marks but the right arm does pop off the ball joint. Wish he would've had some more detail on him like more panel lines and something to bring out the faceplate more. I give him a 8/10 rating. Glad I bought him.

8. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    jeeeesh! Looks like he walked right of of a Geewun cartoon!

Pretty cool!

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Seems that's the point (of the original Jizai design anyway). The toy is designed to look like the cartoon character as much as possible - period - and has little to no extra detail that wasn't seen in the model sheet (but would help it fit in better on a ClassiCHUGiverse shelf.)

10. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Finally got a shipping notice from RobotKingdom yesterday so I should have mine soon. They are in stock there now for anyone interested for $39.90
    xtransbots Powerglide

11. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Got mine today from Robotkingdon, it does not disappoint. Well worth it, perfect size, cool transformation. 2 Different guns and an army knife. Plastic is nice and thick, sturdy. Box and packing are straight up great. Tampoed Autobot symbols are ok but too pink so they will be getting some reprolabels.
    Pics are forthcoming.....

If I have one issue with it, it's the subpar paint apps on the face/eyes.

12. iron maniac

News Credits:
    I know, I know, my photography skills suck. TJ, I'm not obviously....lol

Couple of quick pics with my camera, he's surprisingly articulated. Someone with far better skills than me can probably get him in some mad poses.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    Got mine recently.

Pros:
    . If you're looking for something that looks like the G1 cartoon model of Powerglide, You probably won't ever do better than this (or one of the other Jizai-based items).

. The design (again thanks to Jizai) is quite clever, and allows for a couple possible alternate transformations if you prefer.

. With a few exceptions, the joints are nice and tight, and the overall plastic and molding quality feel comparable to mass retail toys.

Cons:
    . The design of the toy and the jointing limits the posing options.

. The landing gear for jet mode are loose and nearly useless. I prefer to turn the arm-pods on the wings so the fists face front, and rest the plane on them.

. Arm and shoulder joints can be loose in certain positions, and pop off easily. Also, the face-hiding step shown in the instructions is apparently removed, leaving the face looking out the bottom of jet mode (like the G1 toy)

. While there are a few tabs here and there, the robot mode is mostly held together by the tightness of the joints, so there's a risk of it becoming a floppy mess if transformed too much.

Overall: Perhaps it's just nostalgia, but I'm surprised how much I like 'Glider'. There are some obvious flaws, but it's pretty much all I could want out of a Powerglide toy. The price seemed reasonable to me as well. (If I paid $30 for a knockoff seeker jet in purple or orange, about $40 for this didn't seem too bad )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  14. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ^^^ Great pic!

Still on the fence about this guy. He looks good, just not great... if only he had a bit more detailing on the arms, or a few more paint apps, or something.

15. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Say has anyone made up one of these from a red and white kit ? and if so do they look much different to the normal one ?

16. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  17. iron maniac

News Credits:
    ^^^^ You transformed the feet wrong, don't know if you realize that or not. Some people like them transformed that way, that's why I ask. See my pics above.

18. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So the feet are meant to look like he's wearing heels?

19. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Yup.
    straight from Jizaitoys website in fact:
    [​IMG]

20. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    It's one of the kinda interesting things about the design of the toy - There are a number of alternate transformations (fan modes) that don't much adversely affect it. Give him 'flat feet' or a canopy-chest, or half-transform the legs with engine pod 'side cars' like the G1 toy. Personally I like to point the arm-pods the wrong way in jet mode so it can balance without using the weak landing gear.