Powerglide: Did he win any of you over after purchasing???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by n_tel_ekt, Aug 21, 2008.

1. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

I know theres a divide on opinions about this guy so Im just curious if the figure has changed any minds since purchasing.

Ive planned on getting it for a while and now that I have, Im very happy with it. Its a great update of the original while still paying homage. The color and hulking mass that many dont like isnt that bad if you can look at it thru non-G1-nostalgia glasses. Also, his proprtions arent as bad as some have said. I think the pics have not done it justice. For example, the issue about 'tiny' legs. Yea, they arent as bulky as his torso but they arent little. They are actually about half the height of the figure once you extend the legs (which I think some of the promo pics had him mis-transformed... that or just bad angles). Also, the small fists and the short length between his elbows and shoulders help exaggerate the torso. Additionally, there were some complaints about his posability... Ive taken the batteries out which resolves the top-heavyness issue and allows for way more poses. And the weird launcher gun isnt a big deal as I prefer to leave the missle out and have it as the gattling gun which i think looks cooer..

So what do you guys all think after purchase??? Did it confirm your distaste or change your mind???

2. krazy83karl

krazy83karl Well-Known Member

Before buying Powerglide I was really looking forward to him. Thought he looked awesome from all the pics I saw. Now that I have him I was a bit disappointed at first. Thought he was a rather simplistic transforming mold and that there wasn't too much to him. Bit of a big head, pretty top heavy, and the wings don't snap in like I would have thought when he's in robot mode to hold up his arms. But now that I've had him for awhile he's definitely grown on me and none of that bothers me anymore. He does pose very well and although simplistic his transformation is solid. The only thing that bothers me thats more just a personal issue is that in plane mode if you keep his missile in his gun the gun/missile can't be straight.

3. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. I still feel that it should be a deluxe, and red. The proportions are a little odd, and the swivels at the upper legs are far to loose to support all the weight of the upper body, they really needed a rachet mechanism there. So poses are very limited.

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i love my powerglide...i thought i'd only like him, but i now plan to buy stormcloud too, because he looks even cooler as a badguy...

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I still cant bring myself to buy him, will own this mold eventually but I will probably end up getting Storm Cloud instead as the paint on him looks much more interesting. Would get the Henkei version but it's just too much money to drop on a mold I'm very iffy on to begin with.

6. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I grew up with G1, but I don't consider myself a "Gee-wunner" exactly, but I have to say that my gut says, Powerglide = red.

And I don't feel like spending twice as much on him for a Henkei, either. I might buy him for cheap, like clearance prices.

I guess I'm just happy with my G1 minibot just the same.:cool: 

7. Zipdisk

Zipdisk Seven Color Carrot

I picked him up last Friday (along with Leader Class Animated Bulkhead) and though not the best figure I've purchased recently, I like him. I had a Powerglide as a child (still wish I had that figure) and the homages in the current version's transformation are a nice touch. I wish the Gattling gun underneath were a little more pronounced and larger and I wish the wings pegged into the shoulders better but those are minor complaints.

One thing I DID love was the molded heart beneath his chestplate, which is a nice little reference to a G1 cartoon episode. I just wonder if they are leaving that in for Stormcloud or not. If they are, they should at least have a paint app making a jagged line through it to make it a broken heart, just for fun.

Yes, he's a little awkward, but he looks nice on my Classics Autobot shelf. Now, I just need to get Onslaught to help bulk up my Decepticon Classics. In short, I really think this is an underrated figure, especially if you have a soft spot for Powerglide. He's certainly more appealing than the extremely unsatisfying Silverbolt. So, if you need an Ultra-Class Autobot jetplane, get him!

8. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

I was sold after I heard the transformation sounds (both forward and backwards)! OF coarse that's not all, for all his bulkyness he has a great transformation. It's not boring!

9. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love him. I'm glad he's big...planes are big. I wish we had a leader Astrotrain.

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Love him. Liked the way he looked before he cmae out, like him now. Only problem he has is his damn hair-trigger sound button.

11. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

The only thing he had against him in my eyes prior to purchase was the colour. Once I saw it in the flesh (as it were) I bought him instantly, turning down Onslaught. Only real niggle I have is his arms are a bit short.

12. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Me. I wasn't sure on him at first, but I'm glad I have him.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was really looking forward to all the Universe ultras, but both Onslaught and Powerglide kinda disappointed me. Hard to say exactly why. They just didn't 'do it' for me, and seemed too big and clunky for what they were.

On the other hand, I expected Silverbolt would be too simple and boring, but I luvvit ta death.

14. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I got him recently and think he is good. The best though is still Onslaught. Such an amazing toy.

15. newguy

newguy i

I was going to buy him but i sall the awesomenis of Nemesis Prime

16. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

He's actually much better than I had thought he would be. I'm glad that I purchased him!

17. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I grabbed him today. I never needed to be won over because I wanted him from day 1, but now that I have him, yikes, he's kinda unwieldy. I saw someone figured out a landing gear mod, which I'll need to do because he looks strange tipping front when he's in plan mode. Also, his thigh slice seems like it should have a rotator in it, because he sorta flops around and can't stand very well. Also, I am definitely gonna have to repaint him to more traditional colors, he's pretty fugly as is.

Amazing details and mold though, all things considered - he just needs some mod love is all.

18. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    He was a guy that I was "He looks OK" about.

Picked him up. Surpassed all expectations.

19. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm a huge fan of the A-10 plane and go out of my way to pick up any transformer with the Warthog as an alt mode. So, put me in the 'didn't need to be won over' category.

That said, though, I did have several concerns about the toy in general. How complex would the transformation be? How would his arms hold up, what with the wings being straight up, would they pin correctly? and so on.
    After purchasing both Powerglide and Onslaught, I can safely say that Powerglide is, IMHO, the better of the two.
    Superior articulation, better weapon (screw the missle, who needs that when you have the most powerful chaingun weapon currently in existance?) and a satisfying transformation.

Powerglide deserves to be in anyone's collection.

20. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    I like my Powerglide. Only problem is the issue of the plastic leaving stress marks due to the transformation.