Powered Buggy/Super Buggy Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by VectorPrime404, Mar 2, 2011.

1. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Powered Buggy doesn't get nearly enough love. Who here has the good fortune to own one, and can you please post pictures? Show off the little guy.

For those who don't know what this is, here's some detailed backstory:
    Most of the pre-movie Autobots, as well as some of the Decepticons (Devastator, Blitzwing the Insecticons, and the Seekers, with Astrotrain having been originally developed for the line) were from a Takara toyline called Diaclone that featured piloted non-sentient mechs. Specifically, they were from the "Car Robots" subline. One of the larger of the car robot toys, Battle Convoy, consisted of a red Freightliner FL86 cab with a blue bed that transformed into a robot armed with a rifle (though due to a realistic handle behind the peg handle it couldn't hold the gun straight, a metallic gray container trailer that opened to serve as a battle platform with a refueling pump and nozzle, or a repair base, and a buggy capable of seating up to four pilots. It was crewed by three Diaclone pilot figures.
    A little later on, Takara released an upgraded version. The cab robot was the same mold, but coloured blue with a black bed, and the hubcaps stuck out more. The trailer was a new mold, a car carrier capable of transporting up to four of the regular car robots that was armed with a pair of missile launchers. The trailer could use its upper deck as a launch catapult for a Jet Robo, and be configured as either a preparation base or a battle station. It could also be transformed into powered armor for the cab robot. The breastplate and helmet from this armor could be combined to form a mini-jet with seating for a single pilot figure. The rifle was a new tooling as well, with a peg handle on one side for the cab robot to hold and a realistic handle on the other for the super robot to hold. There was also an upgraded buggy. While it could only seat one pilot, it made up for that by being able to transform (via partsforming) into a smaller humanoid robot that could wield the rifle. A single pilot was included. This toy was called Powered Convoy, with the new transforming buggy being called the Powered Buggy.
    A few years later these toys were rebranded as Transformers. Battle Convoy with slight sticker changes became Optimus Prime, keeping everything but the pilots. The buggy became known as Roller. Powered Convoy was given new colours and became Ultra Magnus two years following that. For whatever reason, Ultra Magnus did not come with the Powered Buggy. It was released under GiG Trasformer line in Italy as the Super Buggy, though.
    So, it's basically Ultra Magnus' version of Roller that never got a Transformers release.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ah, nice! I know of the piece you refer to, but would love to see some pictures of it. Poor Ultra Magnus, denied his own Roller and destined to mostly be a white Optimus to boot.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
  4. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Yep. I want to see who here's got him.

5. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    He came with the Powered Convoy DX giftset which also included a red "Mirage" and black LP500S.

Also, I do not believe that Astrotrain was ever available in the Diaclone line, just Blitzwing (Triple Changer Jet Type) and Triple Changer Heli Type which didn't become a TF at all. And last, the basic Insecticons were not in Car Robots line, but Waruder. Deluxe Insecticons were in Kiko Chutai Beetras.

You can see the diaclone.net review of Powered Convoy DX here:
    http://diaclone.net/orid/dia057/index.html

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  6. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Astrotrain was developed for Diaclone, along with the Combaticons, Stunticons, Aerialbots, Protectobots, and Metroplex. I could have phrased that a bit more clearly. I know the basic Insecticons were Waruder mechs, but they were late, and I thought I read they were thrown in with the "Car Robots" subline.

I know about the reviews (he also came with the regular Powered Convoy). I want to see who has him. As in, which members of this forum are fortunate enough to own one.

So come on people. Bring on the pictures!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Since I now have the PC reissue, I'd like to have one.

8. vmagnum

vmagnum Horrorcon

just how big is it? perhaps some radicons can customize that from Jaruga of liokaiser

9. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

He seems to be about the same size as Roller. The upper layer of his front end, to which his wheels are attached, are detached and repositioned to form the legs. The arms store on the underside in vehicle mode, and are attached to his rear hubcaps. He has a 5mm hole in vehicle mode at the back, like Roller. He also has 5mm fistholes.

10. novabeam10

novabeam10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it kind of looks like Full Tilt (shapewise) still would be a fun guy to have in the ranks

11. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Indeed. For a Transformers release he'd probably be coloured blue.