Powercore Combiners Double Clutch w/ Rallybots

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Gen. Magnus, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Ok, let me start by saying that this is not a full blown review. It is more of a rant than anything.

DC & the Rallybots was the set that I was looking forward to the most once I say images of them. How disapointed I have become now that I have them in hand.

Double Clutch's transformation is relatively complicated for a scout class figure. I like his TF from alt mode to bot mode.

Double Clutch is really where the problems are. The drones are ok - a little off in places but ok. Double Clutch's head is held up by friction. While it works alright, I found that the joint was really loose and that if I touched it wrong, the joint would tilt downward into his torso.

His problems only get worse [much worse] when in torso mode. The mot mode arms contain the arm pegs for the combined form. These arms, and thus the pegs, angle backward some forcing the combiner arms to point backwards at the shoulder. The head section for the torso pops into the lower chest with two small pegs. These pegs were coming un-pegged frequently when trying to install the drones as arms. The pegs that hold DC's bot arms also came un-pegged frequently in the process.

While they look great in concept, Double Clutch and the Rally-bots are a monstrocity in reality. This is, sadly, the first TF I am ever returning due to design issues. I really enjoy the other PCCs that I have so the issue is not me not liking the line. I really wanted to like this guy, but I could not. No, this is going back as defective because the design is clearly defective.

If I've gone wrong in this rant, please fill me in at where I made my mistakes regarding the figure. As I said, I really wanted to like him and still do. I just can't right now.

2. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pics would help

3. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    I got a chance to play with Double Clutch myself, and everything you state is correct. The problem is Double Clutch, not so much the drones.

When I see this at retail, I will most likely buy it, only for the drones however. I'll be chucking Double Clutch at a cat.

4. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I picked this guy up two days ago and I agree with you Gen. Magnus on most points. I can try to take pictures later if nobody else has yet. Here's my quick assessment:

Drone Vehicle Huzzahs
    - Look good
    - Feel solid
    - Even though the drones are all four cars, the molds and colors are different enough that they really stand on their own; I especially like how much range of size there is across the set

Drone Vehicle Gripes
    - None, these all pretty much work

Drone Limb Huzzahs
    - Look pretty good; more convincing than the Aerial bot drones

Drone Limb Gripes
    - The black drone is difficult for me to get plugged into Double Clutch without sort of massaging the transformation mechanism
    - The red drone doesn't transform much
    - The red drone is designed such that it kind of leans forward, similar to the blue chopper drone that came with Skyburst, and while it's not really a problem since it was designed this way and it does work I personally don't like it because I think it makes the combined form Double Clutch harder to get standing straight

Vehicle Mode Huzzahs
    - I like the style of car they went with here as it isn't your typical sports car; it actually reminds me of a luxury sedan style of vehicle (not quite on the level of Tux or Good Knight) more than a muscle car which I think it was they were going for

Vehicle Mode Gripes
    - The top half of the car (which was Double Clutch's backpack and upper body) doesn't lock into the bottom half of the car (which was Double Clutch's arms, legs, and spine)
    - Full of gaps due to the above problem
    Transformation to Bot Comments

- Fairly complex and given the problems listed in the other sections probably a little too ambitious for a scout sized toy

Bot Mode Huzzahs

- Uhm... He doesn't look like Wheelie
    - Good articulation for a Scout sized toy

Bot Mode Gripes
    - Arm articulation is severely hindered by the width of his chest and the connector posts on his elbows
    - Upper body is held together by gravity and a single weak tab/slot; this problem is exasperated by the fact that there's some play in the final resting position of the upper body thanks to the transformation double jointing
    - For me, the head stays in place fine but it IS only help by friction so I can see others having the problem Gen. Magnus described

Transformation to Torso Comments
    - Mostly a no-brainer like the other PCC's except in this case, nothing pegs together how it's supposed to thanks to QC and general bad design

Torso Mode Huzzahs
    - I think he looks a lot like the Gobot combiner Puzzler, which is a plus for me
    - All in all, once you finally get it put together it looks nice and sturdy (even if it isn't)

Torso Mode Gripes
    - Bot mode arms have tabs on elbows next to the connector posts which look as though they should fit into slots on the upper arm to lock it all together solidly but they don't fit together at all
    - Bot mode arms have holes that peg into the back but they barely reach and do so weakly at an odd angle which leaves the connector posts jutting out and back as though Super Double Clutch is getting ready to deliver a chest bump to one of his bro's
    - When you pull the bot legs 90 out to the sides (the splits) the upper leg/thigh pieces have slots on them that click into tabs on the torso but its REALLY tight and I'm afraid that by forcing them into place I'm either going to eventually break a tab or wear a rut in the plastic
    - The torso mode has all the same stability issues as Double Clutch does in his normal bot mode

I've been really excited about the PCC series and while I do think wave 1 was a little lackluster I think they are fine little toys and was looking forward to seeing wave 2. Of all the PCC's this was the set I was most excited about. My conclusion is that Double Clutch and the Rallybots are a pretty train-wreck. I'm not taking my set back because I do like they way it looks and in truth I think his combined mode looks second only to Bombshock past that the poor design and engineering here has left me with a sour taste in my mouth towards the remaining PCC's. I'd really only recommend buying it if you are really into the PCC line or if you just really want the nice set of limbs to pair up with Huffer (can anyone say Shattered Glass Menasor?).

5. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Hoping the QC issues get fixed for these guys, 'cause they -do- look good. I am into the PCC line and I will pick these guys up, but like Skyburst out of the first wave, he'll be the last priority for this wave, I think.

6. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the warning. Will avoid this set. Are the drones getting redecoed as part of another set?

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    probably in around Wave 5, considering that Wave 3 is wave 1's redeco.

8. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    May pick it up because I want the drones, Double clutch himself will probably be parts fodder.

Cheers for the heads up.

9. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn. I just bought this guy and was looking forward to opening him. Now I'm slightly put off...

10. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just picked these guys up too, and am about to open them. Ill be back in a few minutes with my opinions of them, and if I think they suck too.

11. Sam Witwicky

Sam Witwicky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sigh, I had promise for these powercore combiners :( .

12. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bot mode on the scout is good, the arm ports for torso mode get in the way with the torso, and there are no ways to fold them back, other than that, hes a decent sized scout in my opinion.

Transformation is great, a bit complex, but satisfying. car mode is great.

Transformation to torso mode it good. My one problem with the torso mode is that the arms are tilted backwards, and not strait. Havent combined him yet, so not sure if it will be a problem in combined mode. Other than that, I have no problems with the torso mode

Combined mode is nice, legs work great, arms are a bit tilted back, but you can unclip the small bot arms to line them up strait, the only problem there is the small bot arms arent strong enough to support most poses, but for a standard standing pose, it works.

Over all, I really like this figure. Good torso, could have been alot better, but the limbs make up for it in my opinion. Not as bad as the Arialbots, which were horrible in my opinion, I returned them right away.

EDIT: Looking at these guys again, I dont really like them very much. I plan on returning them too. Mudslinger and the Destructicons are much better in my opinion

13. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    I know that pics would help, but, as I said, I was returning the figure. When writing the above post, I had already packed the figures back up to return them.

I had considered leaving the bot mode arms unpegged for combined mode, as stated in a post above, but they are not strong enough to keep in position. That is possibly a loose joint on the part of the set that I had had.

14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Wow, that's sad since visually, it was the most appealing PPC to me (along with the Combaticons)

15. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    This guy seriously blows goats. I passed on the other wave 2 five pack and picked his guy up. I regretted it almost immediately once I opened it. In combined mode, his chest will NOT lock into place, no matter what I do. He's a big kibbly mess. I hate how his head is held up too. The red rally bot (his right leg/foot) didn't even transform automatically like all the other PCC drones. You have to manually separate the halves to from the foot.

I cannot recommend to avoid this guy enough. Unless you really want the rally bots, which only 3 of them are decent.

16. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    how are the limbs? maybe if he gets in one of the value packs with Huffer and Caliburst (or Pipes if Hasbro decide) he'd be worth picking up

17. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looking forward to this guy,loved he 2 5 packs i have so far(Skyburst and Bombshock)
    Anyone got any pictures ?

18. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got some pics. I don't find the guy to be that bad. I had a little problem with the way Double Clutch's arms work in torso mode but he's not too bad. He's just super fiddly.

Double Clutch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With Searchlight and Powertrain (Huffer)
    [​IMG]

With Smolder
    [​IMG]

Combined!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Smolder w/ Rallybots
    [​IMG]

Skyburst w/ Rallybots
    [​IMG]

Searchlight
    [​IMG]

Bombshock
    [​IMG]

And the combo I know a lot of people are excited for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doubleclutch combined with Combaticons
    [​IMG]

Doubleclutch with Aerialbots (This combo was a pain in the ass. the yellow chopper pops off too easily)
    [​IMG]

Edit - Sorry for the cookie crumbs. I just noticed them :) 

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Nice, I like him. He does indeed look good with Huffer. Think I'll look forward to when these arrive on my side.

And Orio cookie = most original and awesome watermarking ever!

20. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :)