Power Rangers Verses Transformers. Examining what happened.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Avengers, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Avengers

Avengers Banned

How do you go From being number One to number Zero.

Power Rangers burst on to the scene around 1994 in America. One year after Generation 2 toys did.

For over a Decade Power Rangers were beating Transformers.

Lets examine how everything went negative for Power rangers.

When Fox kids ended,This was a major blow in ratings to all the Power Rangers series.

Nothing new was ever added. The zords keep getting smaller. Zords don't combine like the megazord. The shows keep doing the same formula.

Did Hasbro & others toy companies cleverly caused bad Bandai toys sales in stores. By having Bandia toys being in a different toy aisle than it's competitors.

Did the fans from the 1990's grow up. Did Power Rangers fails to draw in a newer fan base?

Did something happen. That upset the fan base?

It's worth examining the negatives against the Power Rangers francise. Because the Transformers francise seems to be heading in the same direction.

What ideas do we have to bring the Transformers francise back to it's former glory.

Do a few prequel TF movies. Release these movies in theathres or on direct to dvd. Have three Cybertron movies,with accompanying toy lines.

Lower the Tier level price for the Hub network.

Give the Generations toy line a Full blown toy line. With all the price points. Have it accompanied with a cartoon series.

Fans like combiners & city bots. So lets give them these toys in over abundance.

Up the ante with more Master Piece Transformers released each year.

Create better designed toy sculpts. That the majority like better.

Release toy characters that the majority want.

Retire the Bumblebee toy & media character for a few years.

2. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I Think it's a fair point - the lines have a number of similarities they share origins in Japan the design team that makes Power Rangers has had a long rivalry with Takara and to some extent TOMY - some people have even moved between the companies leading to the odd Transformer with more than a little bit of Megazord design in it.

They even share the same Hex Plug combination gimic between the two companies.

---

I think Power Rangers went off a cliff for me with Power Rangers Ninja Force - from that point on I was unable to see the TV show so often (if at all) and the toys became impossible to get with only the odd Toys R Us selling a small fraction of the line.

The zords did loose a lot of paint and metal and chrome over time and they shrunk and so they started to have a lot less of a modern vintage feel to them - which allowed you to excuse the lack of articulation.

When they became as bad as that cat combiner I started to feel a bit sorry for Bandai trying to sell that awful looking thing.

I think they do perhaps recycle the same old themes over and over ; Dinosaurs, Space, Police and Emergency, Construction, and Wild Animals.

I do still like the line and I do still buy the odd bit - but not with any great enthusiasm - but being in the UK I only have sporadic access to it.

And the sheer cost of importing Sentai got prohibitive so I had to give up on that too.

3. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

I have to ask, exactly how would getting rid of Rescue Bots help at all?

4. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Power Rangers became less successful because of the crappy marketing Disney did for it. As soon as Saban got it back, they started pimping it like crazy, and all of a sudden, even a crappy series like PR Samurai is the #1 kids show. The toys are bouncing back in terms of sales. I think that the movies allowed TFs to finally outsell PR, but Samurai has made them more even.

5. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    "beecase rescoo bots dont shot teh peple and are not as deep as prime."

I don't fully understand this thread, is their a Mario/Sonic level of rivalry between Transformers, and Power Rangers, that is making TF lose the "war", despite making a billion dollars at the box office last year, have 2 games, that have sold quite well, has 2 successful comic books, and what not.

6. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    So, what you're saying is... the Transformers took away the Power Rangers' jobs? :p 

You do raise some valid points, but there's numerous other things that just make me want to :gen069: 

7. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    What do any of your ideas have to do with Power Rangers?
    Hell, how do Power Rangers even factor into this? I don't understand.

8. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Power rangers went down hill when Disney owned it.

9. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Add me to the list of people who don't understand the point of this thread.

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Oh look, Deathy has a new account.

I just reported him. His last one got banned.

11. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

How did Power Rangers go from number one to number zero?
    Blame Disney.

12. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Ya know, I was starting to recognize a pattern in this guy's posting.

13. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

What was his last account? I can't find it.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    If number one is good, then wouldn't zero be, like, amazing?

15. Nevermore

News Credits:
  16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :lol  oh dear.

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
  18. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Telltale sign for me is "verses".

19. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

I'm a fan of power rangers but Disney put me of PR so much I wont even watch the new ones so blame Disney

20. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    While Power Rangers did have a huge burst when the series debuted in 1993, like all fads, the popularity went away in years. By the latter parts of Zeo through Turbo, interest bottomed out, with a sudden spike during In Space and continued interest throughout the line until another interest spike during the big Samurai push. The line had a low point. All brands have low points, and most come out of these downspirals. Transformers has several times now, and has seen much darker days than what we are experiencing now. Power Rangers has regained it's stride thanks to Samurai, and is getting ready for it's 20th Anniversary series.

Except Power Rangers left Fox Kids in August of 2002, prior to the shutdown of Fox Kids in September of that same year and the premiere of The Fox Box: Home to the world's most annoying theme songs.

Zords didn't shrink (Outside of Lightspeed Rescue) until post-Operation Overdrive. The Zords combine (the majority of the time) just like in the show, and Tokusatsu is all about being formulaic.

Highly unlikely. The "bad sales" is just simple brand mismanagement during the Disney Era.

Power Rangers HAS a newer fanbase, as the new Samurai line has proven, as well as the older toku crowd that has moved onto loving Super Sentai (the Japanese counterpart) and Kamen Rider.

Repeat after me: The adult collectors are NOT Hasbro's primary market. We never have been. We never will be unless something drastic happens to change the way the North American toy market works. Children are the focus. Children are the primary market, and children are the reason we won't see Bumblebee disappear anytime soon.

Collectors still get bones thrown toward us on a regular basis. Without the collectors, stuff like Alternators and Masterpiece (which doesn't need any stepping up, especially considering just how much we're getting this year) being primarly aimed at us, and characters like Straxus and Thunderwing coming out under Classics.

Combiners are slowly coming back, and citybots are highly possible thanks to Cyberverse. Despite not being a recognizable character (outside of "Oh hell, Optimus Prime is piloting an Optimus Prime"), the Optimus Maximus toy for all intents and purposes is a city bot, and Kabaya has just recently released Fortress Maximus. Releasing Citybots and Combiners in an "over-abundance" could outright kill a line, especially if they're bigger budget items swarming stores all at once.

Disney is no longer in charge. Saban bought the rights back and moved the show to Nick. The show is just as cheesy and full of bad acting as it was back in the Zordon Era.