Power Rangers - Toys, Television, and More!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Kickback, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't get why the metallic rangers yet again have holstered pistols. I would've rather had unfolded pistols that COULD be holstered but didn't need to fold.

Also surprised there are still no villain figures.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'm not surprised at the lack of villains. They'd have to be all-new moulds. 90% of all rangers use 80% of the same parts.

It's like Bandai wanted to make the toys as un-fun as possible. Like they were ashamed they actually made good 6.5'' figures many would want and had to sabotage it somehow.

3. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Could someone explain these legacy figures? Are they anything like Marvel Legends?(What with the 20 price tag & BAF)

I have not been into Power Rangers since 2008, only brought back by the new movie. On my lunch breaks at work I keep seeing the White & Yellow Ranger, the White Ranger is very tempting. Heck I might need to hunt down the Red & Green since I found out those were made. Hopefully they make the Blue, Black, & Yellow cause if I got them I'd aim to get the original team & (both) Tommy since they are the only team besides Dino Thunder I remember/recognize.

4. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    They're very comparable to ML. They're a bit bigger at 6.5 inches rather than 6 inch scale, but have similar articulation. In fact, so similar it's almost identical, sraight down to the girls only having single joint elbows. And because the rangers all use the same bodies for each ender, they have consistently high articulation.

Where they fall short is the accessories. The BAF Megazords suck compared to how ML BAF's are basically normal figure split up, the Megazords are cheap and limited in articulation. And only the sixth/special rangers have their proper accessories. Everyone else just has a sidearm, either a gun, a sword (in case of the ninja rangers) or the totally useless folded up ranger stick for the MMPR team. Plus from wave 2 onward, all the males have detented shoulders which is odd if you do end up getting Green and Red, who don't.

But as action figure's they're great, and despite my anger and frustration towards BOA over the stupid weapons situation, I still want White and Yellow.

5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    For once, I agree with Split Lip. Some of us "big boys" actually enjoy the Legacy "bricks" in so much as they are pretty much the perfect Godaikin-style figures we were missing in 1993. Just like I enjoy my G1 Optimus Prime as much (if not a little bit more) than the Masterpiece version for other reasons than articulation.

I'm glad you're excited. And bag on the Legacy line as much as you like (doesn't stop me from enjoying my figures just fine). But words like the above are kind of like you're trying to pick a fight with those who like Godaikins...

• Like Like x 1
  6. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    If I only wanted the biggest, bestest, most expensive and detailed versions of everything, I'd have a very small collection. I still happily (if not obsessively) collect Halo Mega Bloks, some of the tiniest fully posable action figures on the market, despite having a 12 inch Master Chief figure in my display case.

Not every itch is scratched by the same hand. Or something.

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    THey also don't have ratchet joints. Good god was the Green Ranger I bought to test this line out a piece of crap. Loose joints everywhere.

8. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    If you like godaikins that great, I have no issue with that

The SOC MegaZord is what the legacy line should've been IMO, but that's me. My preference for SOC and what I thought legacy should be is not an insult to fans who are fans of the legacy line.

Hell if we are going to talk vintage preferences, I like the 8" MMPR figures more than I like the current Legacy figures. Bandai back then understood that fans wanted figures that could hold guns that looked like guns back then.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    All right thanks! Picked up the White Ranger on my break, can't wait to get home and check him out!
    Nothing like plastic crack to help you get over/get through a crap day at work.

10. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So for me, the whole "Legacy vs SOC" fight gets very skewed specifically comparing the Legacy 1993 Megazord to the SOC. Like, Legacy Megazord sucks and is the worst of the line because of its roots from MMPR 2010. In terms of paint, build quality, sculpt, it just is not a very good toy. Every other Legacy Megazord has had a majority of their silver parts painted (Ninja Megazord was the first one to actually have some bare diecast since the first Legacy Megazord), all of the details are sculpted instead of stickers (or at least tampographs like Titanus).

It won't happen, but I would be so excited if SOC Daizyujin was actually compatible with Legacy Dragonzord and Titanus. Sure, a more articulated Dragon Caesar would be cool, but sculpting and paint wise it is already up to par, and I honestly don't know what the point of an SOC King Brachion would be.

11. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Well with Dragon Caesar I want an SOC so that Dragonzord battle mode would have fully articulated legs. Right now it doesn't look like the Legacy Dragonzord could pull that off if it was SOC Daizyujin compatible.

Otherwise I think Legacy Dragonzord and Titanus are fine figures on their own. I just don't know if I'd keep them if Legacy ones are announced. Though I'm with you on if King Brachion would be necessary....if it's the same scale as SOC Daizyujin, maybe it wouldn't be.

12. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Indeed. The Legacy Megazord was originally based off the uber cheap 2010 Megazord that was, what, $30? It desperately needs to be brought up to part with the Thunder and Ninja Megazords.

Also, despite owning it and it being literally in my bedroom, what parts of the Legacy Ninja Megazord are unpainted diecast? But I agree, the real Legacy line, despite still being bricks, are very high quality bricks. (a little overpriced, though. Thunder Megazord is like $225 Canadian which is fucking laughable) All silver is painted, Ninja Megazord has some smartly placed chrome accents, it adds articulation where applicable without compromising the childproof engineering, it's overall really nice for the $80 I paid.

And I'd much rather pay $80 for a nice looking brick than almost $500 (factoring in conversion, EMS shipping, and duties) for a nice looking not-brick. It's like a pick-you-battles type deal.

13. infinite_virtue

infinite_virtue Well-Known Member

I'm fighting this battle every day in my head as I try to figure out if I really want to keep my pre-order for the SOC Daizyujin or if the Legacy is good enough for me. Haha. I honestly think the Legacy is good enough since I never had the original 1993 one but the SOC just looks sooo goood. Don't know if it's $300+ good or not and I'm not sure if I want to take that gamble. lol. I probably have to decide soon though.

14. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the Ninja Megazord, I admit that I could be making a mistake and it's actually chromed plastic, but the big silver bits on the shoulders look like unpainted diecast for me.

15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    They're chrome metal, actually. Completely painted.

You did have me confused there but I actually got off my ass and checked.

16. len_d69

len_d69 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :D 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  17. SuperGrimlock

SuperGrimlock Cybertron Driver License

I don't mind playing with the 6.5 legacy figures. They do somewhat fit in with marvel legends since most ml are oversized to begin with. I have the sh Figuarts mmpr and those will pretty much be for a nice big display with the power weapons combined once I get a proper setup, for now they are all waiting in their packaging. Of course what little I have played with them I'm not scared to mess with them I just would rather potentially damage a twenty dollar toy versus a whatever the current rate is import figure.

This is my line of thought for the soc megazord. I have the legacy versions of everything besides tigerzord and ninjazord. I'm currently trying to rectify the tigerzord situation but eBay will be eBay. I'm just waiting for another sale in ninjazord and it will be mine. Anyways, my plan is to pick up the soc version, something that is what I wanted the original to be back in the day physically and not what my imagination made it to be. I will have the legacy version in Ultrazord mode more than likely since I don't see much more that the current one can do. And I will be free to pose the soc in the dynamic ways that will satisfy my inner child to no end.

I consider the current legacy megazord to be essentially an 1.5 version. It's the original anniversary release with some updates, hence the 1.5. A proper 2.0 version that is in line with the current legacy releases would be most welcome. I'm not saying give us an american soc version that also has to fit in with the dragonzord and Titanus, I'm saying give us something that feels like as much effort that went into the dragonzord and Titanus and the releases that followed. The last time I messed with the legacy megazord before I had to store it, I remember feeling that while it was great in one way I couldn't help but feel that it wasn't the best that they could have done with it, it still felt cheap in some way to me. Ok ranting over for today.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    A great point. I mean, if I ever become rich the SHF MMPR Rangers will be number one on the list of things to buy, but once again their quality comes with a price tag attached.

I flip flop back and fourth on just how disappointed I am in Bandai. On the one hand, the entire line's purpose is to give us every ranger ever provided it lasts that long. This could explain the limited production numbers, price, and lack of accessories for most teams. They're trying to maximize profits wherever possible to prolong the lifespan of the line.

On the other hand, we know moulds for the MMPR qweapons exist, so to not include those is pretty damn stupid. And some would argue every ranger ever isn't quite as desirable as just really well done figures by themselves. Which the Legacy toys are, just lacking in accessories. But not everyone wants every team ever, but not everyone wants the same teams, etc. Hence my flip-flopping. Then there's just stupid shit like the silver belts and MMPR Red's fucking dumbass helmet. (I was able to resculpt mine, but not everyone can do that. Plus I shouldn't have had to anyway) And of course the absolutley stupid splitting teams over multiple waves.

Ultimately the Legacy line will be judged once it's completed, I think. If we do get every team ever, that will certainly put perspective on the lackluster beginnings. I mean, I'll at leats be getting Yellow, White, and Zeo Gold. Maybe Dino Thunder White as well, and I may go full-team if they get to Time Force. But really, while the end goal of every ranger ever is noble, most still buy these figures one at a time, so it can be a little frustrating. Maybe if I had been able to complete MMPR right away I would've had a better opinion, but it's been months since I first got Green and I'm still not done with the first friggin' team.

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Has Bandai shown announced Silver from In Space for the Legacy line? Or Crimson, Navy & Green from Ninja Storm for Legacy? Seems really freaking weird how they're releasing these. I'm really only interested in getting the sixth Rangers outside of the MMPR team (and it looks like I'm giving my daughter all the non-weapon versions of those I'd already bought since we're getting reissues with their proper weapons).

20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The reissues are "Metallic" though and are borderline transparent.

Also, no definative statement on Space Silver or the remaining ninjas.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1