Non-TF: Power Rangers: Stellar

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Gingerchris, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Here's some stuff from a pitch I did to Saban in 1998 for a Power Rangers animated series. Don't know where my original boards went but I still have a copy of the concept booklet I left with them which is where I've got this artwork from.

It was a series based in space to take advantage of the cartoon medium. Unfortunately 'Power Rangers In Space' was just about to hit so I got beat to the punch by Saban with the space-based concept. This is set earlier in the Power Rangers timeline though, before things changed too much away from the original series and characters. Maybe around the time of Turbo. So it's sorta like an alternate timeline to where the live-action series went after Turbo.

Basically Earth is completely destroyed apart from Angel Grove, which was saved only because Zordon's old ship was buried under it and it could be encased in a protective dome as the planet exploded. The residents of Angel Grove know nothing of this though since the dome has holographic capabilites and the surroundings are all projected illusion.
    The destruction of Earth was a carefully calculated plan by space pirates to open a dimensional rift to an ultimate power, and to complete their mission they have to destroy all of Earth, including the remaining Angel Grove. So the Power Rangers are always trying to outrun the space pirates and protect Angel Grove, but they also explore space and stop at various other planets for more adventures when they have time or are asked for help.
    The Power Rangers are headed for a mythical region of space where they might be able to use the saved Angel Grove to 'jumpstart' the recreation of the destroyed Earth and everything and everyone that was lost on it.

Below are some of my designs. This isn't the actual art style the show would've taken as that would've had to be much simpler for animation purposes. Certainly my Ranger artwork would've been too expensive to draw exactly like shown for animation. It was more 'this is their design cues' than 'this is exactly what the show Rangers etc would look like'. I just can't resist giving stuff superhero muscles. :p 

Basic show banner. Obviously this would be more glossy and polished on-screen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Power Ranger basic uniform. That's supposed to be the Green Ranger but the colour scan has made him look somewhat turquoise and I'm too lazy to colour-correct it.
    You'll notice there's no Yellow Ranger. I wanted an Orange Ranger instead. There was also a practical reason since the yellow Stellar 'flash' on the Ranger uniform would've been lost by having it on a full Yellow Ranger costume. Has there ever been an Orange Ranger? Probably has now since I drew this back then and there's been a lot of Rangers stuff since.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Zordstarr. The Power Ranger's spaceship that carries Angel Grove and the Shuttle Zords. There's also a thriving alien community living in the bowels of the ship. And a lost Bulk and Skull having their own silly adventures.
    When it's time for the Shuttle Megazord to destroy an enemy the Zordstarr converts to a giant gun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's a few more pieces of artwork to come, which I'll add another time. Power Rangers gotta have their Zords. :) 

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
  2. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Amazing concepts !!!! Ship-gun looks great, a bit like the current Megatron in alt mode.

You probably using a new team of power rangers yes ? As oppose to the previous teams carrying on the torch ?

3. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Thanks for the reply and kind comments, mate. :) 
    To be honest I can't remember. Most likely I was thinking some kind of generics with a Jason-like guy and a Tommy-like guy and a Kimberly-like girl and so on, but not necessarily specifically Jason, Tommy, Kimberly, Billy or whatever. So new, but still familiar, types.

And as promised: Zords!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    This is great! Really nice! :) 

And to answer one of your questions, there kind of were a few Orange Rangers here and there. In Power Rangers S.P.D., Kat Ranger was white and orange, and the character Boom had a dream sequence where he was an Orange S.P.D. Ranger (though the helmet was a repainted Space Ranger helmet). In Power Rangers Jungle Fury, the Rhino Ranger was mostly white, but had a few bits of orange on him. And if you want to get meta, in the third entry of the Super Sentai series (which Power Rangers is based off of), Battle Fever J, had Battle Cossack that is the only fully Orange Ranger to date.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Not bad. Some neat ideas. The robot has a nice retro feel to it. It reminds me of Jetman's.

I think the suit design could use a little tweaking. There's a bit too much going on. The helmet is good, but the overall design seems more like a 6th ranger type of thing. I would suggest dropping the shoulder pads, and simplifying the gloves and boots.

6. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Thanks. And for the orange info too. I knew there had to have been one or some eventually. Gotta mine all those colours. :) 
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I doubt I'll do any tweaking though since this is now a long-dead project I can't see me picking up again. Just digging through my old artworks and seeing what might be cool to throw up here. Sometimes makes me wish I'd not given up drawing.

7. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

I would've LOVED to see this as an actual series. Maybe not as a sequel to Turbo, but it's an interesting concept nonetheless.

8. Shortwave

Shortwave Autobot fembot

"I AM THEGREEN."
    nice work i had a post aopcalyptic Rangers series a few month ago i could realy have used your input.