Power Rangers RPM - Episode discussion (the DARKEST most MATURE PR ever?)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Kickback, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
  2. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! My Childhood Days are now gone!

3. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So Power Rangers is actually ending? Bummer. I grew up with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. :(  In Space was my favorite, but after Lost Galaxy, I slowly lost interest. Wild Force temporarily brought me back to watch it, but nothing else. I don't even know what station airs Power Rangers episodes anymore.

R.I.P. Power Rangers. Sorry Disney had to kill you.

Also, could this mean Transformers might become the #1 toy for boys? :p 

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's a pity this is the last one, because this one actually has me mildly interested. The post apocalyptic setting the promo brought to mind appealed to me.

5. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Isn't there a chance someone else might pickup the show? I would assume the toys are still making a lot of money.

6. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    So just watched the first two episodes.

Wow.

For everyone who has hated on Power Rangers for being "such a kiddy show" over the last xx years, you should really watch these first two episodes. Yes, they still have costumes. Yes, they still have goofy attack names. Yes, they still have a funny-looking zord that has animal faces on it.

But that's where it stops.

The opening story is pretty much like this...

A computer virus calling itself Venjix started taking over the world's computer networks. It evolved to being sentient and actually started attacking the human population. The entire world has been infected/destroyed except for one small city called Corinth, which is isolated in a protective dome. It's a self-contained city.

You learn that the Red Ranger's father is in charge of the military, and that he has two sons ... one of which apparently died in the opening scenes. A mysterious half-human, half-machine person shows up and throws everyone for a loop. He calls himself Dillon, and he has no memory of who he is, where he's from, or anything from his past. The end of the second episode has the Rangers, who need to utilize "series black" (aka the Black Ranger) to increase the power of their zords if they hope to stay competitive against Venjix, asking Dillan if he'll join, to which you know he obviously does but he's hesistant.

And then there's Ziggy ... this year's comedy relief. And the future Green Ranger. Fun, fun show. Felt more like something you'd see on CW (like Smallville) than Power Rangers.

If you can, watch it. You won't be disappointed.

7. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Sounds cool

8. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

That was pretty damn good for Power Rangers.

9. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. First time in a long time I've actually enjoyed watching Power Rangers. Everything was more awesome, from the way its being shot to the dialogue. The prison fight was also pleasantly more violent then what we're used to.

10. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The prison scene was DARK for Power Rangers.

I mean, they're holding Ziggy down on the table talking about his lack of respect, and then Dillan takes the last of the dessert which pisses them off, and the guy is slamming peoples' heads on tables. And Ziggy watches in disbelief/horror then starts enjoying it.

I really, really can't stress how much I think people would enjoy this show. It's almost akin to what people keep wanting in a Transformers cartoon being put in play for Power Rangers - a darker, more mature world.

If you used to watch the show a long time ago and remember the conclusion, "Countdown to Destruction", where the world is being destroyed and the Rangers are kind of a "last hope" as civilians run and their homes are destroyed as the aliens invade the entire planet ... it's a lot like that, only now spread out through an entire season.

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
  12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Sounds like Skynet is trying to take over whole worlds now, not just Earth.

I'm intregued, though, I'll check it out later. I got a report to finish (Naturalism bores me)

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    If PR is ending, holy crap does it seem to be going out on a high note. The premiere was incredible - it didn't look anything like the past few seasons under Bruce Kalish. The Mad Max inspiration is incredibly obvious with Dillon, but it still works really well. I think the setting has a lot of potential for some very cool stories, and it seems they're already getting a lot of mileage out of it.

The characters - especially Dillon and Ziggy, the only two who've really gotten much screentime - quite impress me. Dillon alone has far more personality than any PR character since probably Time Force's Eric. Ziggy, for his part, manages to be an incredible comic relief Ranger - I loved his bit in interrogation. It's nice to see one of those that isn't just a shallow attempt to mimic SPD's Bridge (yes, I'm looking at you, Dax, you miserable waste of oxygen).

Honestly, the only part of the show that didn't work for me so far was the standard PR stuff - the costumed fights and the villains' lair scenes. With everything else on the show so serious and dark, the bright costume and prerequisite doofy general really seemed out of place. The cartoony animal Zords don't help either. The lollipop-as-cigarette was pretty damn silly, too. The disconnect between the two tones is a little jarring so far, but I'm sure I'll adjust.

Right now my big hope is that the show can keep up this level of quality throughout the whole season. If so, I can easily see it ranking up there with In Space and Time Force.

14. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I'll agree with the consensus that this show's off to a strong start. The post-apocalyptic setting is definitely different. I'm really liking Dillon so far, he's clearly a badass, and yet my favorite scene was the one where he waters the flower. Not liking Ziggy as much, but throughout the entirety of PR, the comedy has been more "miss" than "hit" with me, so I won't complain. Oh, and Summer is cute :) 

The theme song isn't anything to write home about, but just about anything is an improvement over Jungle Fury.

I thought the title card with "Power Rangers RPM" in plain white text on a black background was weird. The first time it happened, I thought it was a mistake, like it was a temporary card put in while the logo was still being designed, and they forgot to take it out. But I guess it's one of those "this is a serious show" kind of things, I'm not really sure if it works though.

Oh, and this is probably a big "DUH", but I don't believe that the Red Ranger's brother is dead.

15. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    If they end up being on the show, I expect him to be the Mammoth Ranger.

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Seeing as we've seen the RPM toyline G12 formation, yeah I'm thinking we will get them.

Haven't watched the premier yet, but I like what I am hearing (minus the whole this being the last season thing).

17. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I hear this is the last LIVE-ACTION Power Rangers. I haven't seen either episode, thanks for the download links Gryph.

I have seen the opening, and I thought it sucked majorly. I think one of the demo theme would've worked better. Heck, the one by LinearRanger on his site is better than the official one.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks for the link Gryph. I traditionally can't stand PR, but I'll give this one a look.

19. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I watched most of the first ep. and just couldn't do it anymore. It might be better than previous PR series, but still, just...no.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    That's exactly what happened to me. Got to the part quite near the end with the obviously rubber suited bad guy and his stupidly jumping kung fu alien minions, and just... switched it off. Oh well, I tried.