Power Rangers or Super Sentai?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DarkEnergon22, Sep 13, 2017.

1. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Which is better?

Any series where the Rangers or Sentai series is better than the other or vice versa?

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

It depends on the series, but for the most part, the Sentai versions are better. SPD being one of the few that is superior to its Sentai counterpart.

Dairanger is hands down the best Sentai series though.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

This. RPM is another exception where the PR version is better.

4. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Before I would've said "doesn't matter, they're both good & bad at times."

Now though... I am rapidly running out of interest in Power Rangers. the current season is so terrible...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninjanicktf

Ninjanicktf She's a killer, queen

I feel basically this.

6. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Don't know much about the Super Sentai cause I don't speak Japanese but Power Rangers really should of ended after In Space. The way that series ended seemed to be the end and then the next just ignores that ending and keeps going.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    That's because ratings had dropped, and they were told it was probably going to be cancelled. The ratings jumped back up towards the end of the season, and that didn't happen.

8. SaberPrime

Still they should of found a way to some how ressurect Zordon or set all the other series in a different continuity because to keep going without Zordon in the same universe kinda makes his death at the end of in Space completely meaningless.

One thing I do know about the Super Sentai is that Zordon doesn't exist. There was some old wizard dude with a staff similar to Rita's in the Sentai and their base was in a cave not a high tech command center. Pretty sure the Super Sentai is better just because their powers didn't rely so heavily on Zordon's existence to access the Mophin' Grid for six seasons and then suddenly ignore that he ever existed in the first place.

Plus rewatching Power Rangers as an adult I question why I ever liked it. How did I not notice things like the Yellow Ranger doesn't have a skirt, or how Tommy's shield keeps changing as they switch between Japanese and American footage. I'm not sure but I think Rita's actress also changed once Lord Zedd showed up cause he was never in the Super Sentai but she was. Pretty sure at some point they switched from dubbing over her Japanese actress to actually having a different woman in a similar costume. I want to say she also speaks English and they got her to record scenes for the American version but they couldn't even afford to give the Green Ranger a proper shield no way did they get Rita's Japanese actress to reprise her role along side Lord Zedd just for the American season 2 & 3.

The movies clearly had much bigger budgets even as a kid I recognized that. Especially the first one but that also confused the hell out of me when the show went in a completely different direction. If it looked like that first movie from the start then Power Rangers... even that new movie even though they now have Michael Bay Zords that combine off screen to cover up the fact there's no real way that combined mode can even work.

9. flamepanther

Super Sentai isn't a single, continuous series the way we think of a series. It's more of a brand than a series. They do crossovers, but for the most part they're separate shows with no real regard for continuity between seasons. Each team has their own origin and concept, unrelated to any others.

It's hard to think of a direct comparison that would be familiar in North America. This is a bit dated, but you could compare it to Gerry Anderson's Super Marionation shows (Fireball, Supercar, Thunderbirds, etc). Those shows all had the Super Marionation branding, shared staff, and had similar themes and aesthetics, but the shows themselves weren't really connected. You could compare it to Final Fantasy, which is a "series" even though each game is not actually a sequel to the last. You could compare Power Rangers to Robotech, which took three shows and edited them together.

The specific show you're describing was Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger, which was the basis for the first season of MMPR. Some of the props, footage, and costumes were reused in subsequent MMPR seasons, but that wasn't really the case in Japan.

10. Dr Kain

I actually haven't seen RPM yet, but it won't take much to be better than Go-Onger.

To be honest, I feel the same way about the current trend of Sentai. The franchise has been hit or miss after 2003, but these last five series have been pretty awful.

To be fair though, it's not like they were all the same people fighting. Zordon ended the empire established by Dark Spectre. The other PR series did not ignore the ending, it's just that Zordon's sacrifice did not travel across every universe and the like to wipe out all evil.

Gokaiger being the exception, of course. As in the Gokaiger universe, all of the previous rangers are all in the same world.

Yep. Dairanger has nothing to do with Zyuranger and focuses on Chinese mythology. Kakuranger has nothing to do with Dai or Zyu and features ninjas that fight Youkai.

11. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger was definitely weirder than Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, but then again Grifforzer was more fleshed out as a character than Goldar (as he was called here in the states) ever was. Hell, the story was a lot more complex when it aired on the other side of the Pacific.
    That's not to say Super Sentai has always been superior to Power Rangers, in recent series, Sentai has become a blatant Toy vehicle.

12. Hikaru IchijoSL

Hikaru IchijoSL ヤマト2202

For me it is definitely SS haven't watched Power Rangers since Mystic Force.

13. Dr Kain

To be fair, Sentai was always a toy vehicle. Just look at the series in the 80s that had to have a mech battle every episode. It's just that the series in the 90s, especially when Sugimura took over, decided to put story telling over the toy commercial.

14. SaberPrime

Actually, one of the few things I know about the Super Sentai is that the series that was adapted into Mighty Morphin Power Rangers wasn't actually the original. There were about five different Super Sentai before that one where they didn't even have Zords/Mechas. You could say Power Rangers was always about selling toys but I don't think you can say the same about the Super Sentai.

15. flamepanther

This more or less true (some also had vehicles, but no combining robots). But surely there were always action figures and role-play toys?

16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

they both pail in comparison to spider-man.

17. SaberPrime

As soon as you mentioned Spider-man I had a feeling it was going to be the Japanese live action before the video even loaded on my screen. I've seen it before around the time the first movie was comming out I found that on accident while trying to find movie trailers.

18. Dr Kain

Well technically, Spider-Man is the reason Super Sentai thrived. Goranger and JAKQ would have been it had it not been for Spider-Man. In fact, Toei didn't even count those two as part of the Super Sentai franchise until Ohranger was coming out in 1995.

19. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Bring back Japanese Doctor Who!

20. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    I think it really depends. If you watched Super Sentai before Power Rangers, you might like that more, and...vice versa. As others have said, sometimes the Power Rangers version of a show is better than its Super Sentai, and other times, it's not.

I HATE what they did with Gokaiger when turning it into Power Rangers. I serious would have rather they kept Goseiger and Gokaiger as two separate Power Ranger teams rather than make the Gokaiger suits into a 'power-up' for Power Rangers Megaforce to use to turn into "SUPER Megaforce" *groan*.

Would have loved to see a Power Rangers team that was more kind of 'anti-hero' like the Gokaigers generally tried to be.