Power Rangers fans - what do you buy?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Nightrain, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I generally dig the tv shows and will watch them if they happen to be on Jetix or whatever. I don't really follow them though. My question is, what exactly is the point of buying the figures?

It seems like when playing Power Rangers, it would be more fun to role-play than to try to emulate martial-arts with figures. And besides that, don't they generally end up piloting zords anyway?

Having to choose as a kid, I'd probably just buy the zords and ignore the figures. Maybe I'd buy role-play weapons and whatever little devices. But I am of course very biased, being a Transfan :D  So I'm wondering what collectors buy, and what they truly enjoy.

2. Dragstrip85

Dragstrip85 Well-Known Member

I used to buy the Megazords and the core ranger figures. I stopped after Lightspeed Rescue, last megazord for me was the Super Train. Never really played with them though, just combined them and took them apart.

3. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Not to be a smartass (I realize this post may come across that way) but replace Power Rangers with TFs and you have your answer :D 

Me I've never bought any (although I honestly did for a time in my early 20's consider collecting the zords) but to me the Megazord toys always looked cooler then the Ranger figs themselves

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Lately I've been researching how Hasbro markets TF in press releases and in catalogs and such. Everything points to a "build an army" mentality.

Reading the Mystic Force press release, I found it interesting that more than once it says something like "child can play as his favorite hero". That tells me the reason to buy the figures isn't to simply buy all the figures, but to buy your personal favorite, and I suppose all the variations of it(armored, um, crazy morph into vehicle thing, etc).

So the premise of my question is totally off base. They aren't expecting parents to buy every single one. Just the favorite ranger, and the big expensive zords :lol 

5. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

"classic" American Megazords

currently I have the Original Megazord, Dragonzord, Titanus, Thunder Megazord, ShogunMegazord, and the Falconzord

I also have one of the Dinothunder Megazords

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Just gotten into PR's but only for the transforming figs and the Zords.

Don't care for the human characters alone, except for the little battleized pack (the mini Transforming Zords) and the Mystic Force Dragon Rangers.

I'll always collect those $40 Zords that hit TRU & Walmart

MY PR collection so far is-
    Delta Megazord
    Delta Battleized magazord
    Red Battleized Ranger
    Kamen Rider Dragon
    Delta Squad Megazord
    SPD Red Ranger/gun
    Omega Megazord
    Supreme megazord
    Fury, Thunder, Dark Fury & Minotaurus Dragons
    Battleized Dragon Rangers
    Steedergon Zord
    Titan Megazord

If the Ranger were like the little GI Joe characters or had more articulation, Id probably collect more of them.

Here's some pics of most of my PR collection In case you wanted to check em out
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v148/loebig/Power%20Rangers/

7. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

I mostly buy the Megazord/ Sentai Mechs.
    Only figures I have are the Original MMPR 9" (Red, Black, Yellow, Blue, Pink, & Green). And then also the 9" White and Gold figs.

Otherwise it's all mechs & morphers/changers.

-Shifty

8. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    I'm not much of a PR fan but I love Super Sentai toys. The coolest stuff to buy are the changers due to the various lights and electronics they usually contain.

The Sentai Heroes figure line is good if you're up for just displaying them. Bandai seems to skimp on articulated figures though since we rarely get the female ones and they seem to have something against painting the weapons. The 12" figures they released for MagiRanger and Boukenger are pretty cool, even with them skipping the females.

Never had much of an interest in the mecha until this year when they decided to add articulation.

9. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Megazords only. I love the way they figure out new methods for them to combine and interact every year.

10. dgblast5

dgblast5 Well-Known Member

I had the thunder megazord, zeo megazord, shogun megazord, and delta megazord when I was a child. Too bad I threw them all away. Now, I'm trying to get the original Megazord and Dragonzord.

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just caved and bought my first PR figure ever on Wednesday, the Titan Megazord. Not so much because of PR, mind you, but because I'm just a fan of transforming mechs in general, and the TM does it in such a unique and refreshing way, as far as the line is concerned. I'll be picking up DX Knight Wolf, too, if it ever gets released.

Otherwise, I really couldn't care less about the line.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only PR toys I got were a red-coloured dragon (can't remember his name) and the entire Japanese version of the mecha from Dino Force...I'm a sucker for dinos! LOL!

13. shifty02

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I love PR as a kid but now.... I just don't have the money to buy them when I have so many other lines I am buying. PR Bots look very unique and cool and even the individual members are well designed. Maybe I'll take a look at them next time I go to TRU or WM.

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I looked at them today but I couldn't bring myself to buy any of the figures. I did almost buy the Steed thing, but at $40 I could buy Galvatron instead. Clearly, those big zords are for birthday and Christmas. Or for saving up for a month.

There was also a jumbo(something like two feet) power ranger. Again I am a little perplexed as to the point. Why buy a giant immovable doll when you can emulate the character yourself? Why would a parent want something that big and basically useless?

Bandai really goes nuts on the merchandising. There are several role play sets, several different sizes of ranger figures, and several different types of the regular figures.

16. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Extra points for the Kamen Rider Blade gear. Do you have the entire rouse card set in that case?

Nightrain - Is that much different from the numerous repaints we get for TFs?

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Actually I think it's better than the repaint thing. At least Bandai is offering a wide range of the product, and I don't think they expect everyone to buy everything. In my view, Hasbro is nuts trying to get parents to buy the same $20 or $40 toy twice just because it has a different color and name.

18. shifty02

I think I'm missing a total of like 4 or 5 rouse cards. Haven't checked recently though.

-Shifty

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome collection! I'm curious are you an Asian too? Reason I ask is because Sentai isn't that popular in the US toy collectors - correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm abit surprised that at your large collection of PR mechas and are they the Japanese versions or US versions?

20. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Well last year I bought a couple of old Megazords, the ones from the first serie: DragonZord, Tigerzord, Shogunzord and a kick-ass "Nemesis" Tigerzord (KO but it's a cool one).
    And I guess the last one I bought was the little version of the DinoThunder Megazord.
    Right now I'm waiting for the SPD Megazord. Or at least a Shadow Ranger figure, just to put in my Pc desk. :D 
    If I have to be honest I skip a lot of Rangers figures in the last years.