power rangers are back...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, May 12, 2010.

1. cgibsonREX

cgibsonREX Knight of Cybertron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Yeah you know how Power Rangers has been with Asian themes in their shows, if they could avoid it I'm sure they would. GOOD CHANCE they may use the 2011 Sentai series in stead of a 2 year old show or make their own.
    Seeing how good RPM was using hardly any JP footage, we may see an "original" series.

2. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Maybe we've been watching different movies, but I haven't seen any movies bastardizing any childhood icons lately.

3. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    This is, obviously, without a doubt, the greatest news of 2010.

And to anyone who is all "zomg only hyperactive kids like this" ... don't be ignorant and stupid. We already get enough of that type of crap in TFGD with Animated discussion and in the entire Movie forum. Be better than the worst of this place.

4. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Well if it helps any I'm sure they care about your opinion as much as you care about theirs.

5. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Never cared much for Power Rangers. Always felt like a cheap knock of Voltron and Ultraman. Not that I never liked the concept, just the execution always felt... lame. Horrible acting, contrived plots, watching (for the most part) the same battle every show. Liked some of the toys... but with the overall lameness of the show, I turned against it. Then, when I finally watched it again, in 2003, it was lame as I remembered.

With that said, I hope this new direction will be a new, competent and enjoyable show. I've wanted to be a Power Rangers fan, but the mish mash, disorganized mess that has been the TV series (the ones I've watched anyway) bore me. I wish they'd ditch the live action for a CGI or Animated show, I think it'd be a breath of fresh air, and allow the show to transcend its overall cheap look and feel. I just feel that some shows don't translate in live action to the small screen well, and PR is one of them.

Ben 10 gets tons of attention because kids like it. Seriously, Power Rangers is gonna have to do something KICKASS, because my little nephews could give a damn about Power Rangers. I seriously think the older fan base is keeping PR on life support in America... I just don't see many kids playing with PRs these days. Rather obviously, it hasn't been doing well, Disney actually sold if AFTER deciding to not air it anymore.

Personally, though I dislike the show, I'd love the see some Masterpiece Style Zords. That'd be the $#it.

Hopefully a big budget movie won't be kidified... It doesn't have to be PG13, but it should be entertaining and have great CGI. This is the first step to making PR a powerhouse again. The cheaply made show can't compete right now, so a movie will need to kick things off, and they need to make it badass. After the TF movies, it's gonna have to be more edgy, in this era, the those blocky cheap looking Zord designs won't work. Us old schoolers might dig it, but the kids would yawn, and PR would be in a deep freezer for about 3-5 years.

Realistically, I hope Saban has a plan. Otherwise, it's gonna be a long ride for fans of the series.

Word to that. I'm a HUGE Ninja Turtle fan, and that live action series was horrible. Once again, something that didn't translate to the small screen well.

6. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    That's a bit unfair and twists what actually happened.

Disney bought the Fox Family Chanel, or what have you, which included all of SABAN's old networks (he started to tank it back in what 2000?). Power Rangers came with that deal, and Disney was set to let it go, using the excuse it was too expensive, etc.

Enter Doug Sloan, a former writer/producer, and convinced Disney that they could earn hand over fist by moving it to New Zealand - and it worked. However, Doug Sloan chose to leave the show, giving way to Bruce Kalish to take over - who more or less admitted his job was to translate a show from Japanese and add more explosions.

Bruce Kalish drove Power Rangers in to the ground - to the point Disney decided that they couldn't kill it because it might actually cost them more money in lawsuits, payouts, etc., then to actually go ahead and do the last two seasons (Jungle Fury, RPM).

Disney is on record saying that they don't really want Power Rangers, it's not a brand that they feel fits the Disney label. Disney wanted the show to die so they could move on - hence the horrible timeslot and channel selection, the absolutely zero advertising, etc.

So to say, "Disney didn't want Power Rangers because it sucks so bad" is a bit of a mix-up. Disney made Power Rangers suck so they could justify not keeping it alive ... it's just that the daddy of Power Rangers came in and saved the day.

7. Ceasar121

News Credits:
    Wasn't aware that's how it happened. That's pretty weak if so. I do, however think that serious changes are needed. PR worked in the 90s because it was unique. That style of clip chopping and dated effects will lead it to an early grave (at least in America). Its like watching the Adam West Batman now. I think PR can be totally successful again, but it needs an update. Nicktoons live action shows are usually dramas. Cartoons age a lot better. PRs style has become dated. Its like I can go back and play Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 and love it, but my younger family members think it lame (graphics), even though the gameplay is still some of the best ever.

Obviously PR has been dumped on by Disney, but revisioning MMPR ain't a good start. I just can't see the target audience getting into it. Even shows like Smallville struggle with the special abilities of its characters, and then to resurrect something that looked dated in the 90s? Jurassic Park killed that Godzilla style of giant battles, with its realistic dinos...

Like I said though, I want this to work. Robots and ninjas together is a awesome concept, it just needs a makeover it at least compete today. Heck just the fact that its not on regular TV anymore cuts a large potential audience.

8. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Power Rangers RPM was an amazing, adult-targetted show by a producer that had grand ideas for Power Rangers - to turn it from the usual campy humor/cartoony like setting to a realistic, dark setting.

After watching the producer direct a jail-fight scene using people against people (which was always a big no-no during the Fox Kids days) as well as more or less showcasing relatives/friends/family of the main characters dying in the show, Disney stepped in and told the producer to lighten it up or leave - he chose to leave, taking his writing staff with him. Judd Lynn, an old school producer for the show, stepped in to finish it off and tried to keep true (within Disney guidelines) to what the original producer had set in stone.

Spoiler of what happened vs. what the original producer wanted to have happen:

The entire series showcases Venjix, the main computer virus bad guy, making new bodies for himself. In the end, the hybrids are cured (including the Black Ranger and his sister, Tenaya 7) and Venjix is destroyed ... or rather, is now in the Red Ranger morpher, which is locked up, unbeknownst to the Power Rangers.

The original producer planned to make the Black Ranger the "final" body for Venjix, and the end would be the Rangers having to fight against one of their own to save the entire world.

Disney nixed the original idea.

9. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I think you just killed all my hopes for good things coming from the Disney + Marvel merger right there.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Enough said.

The show took me some getting used to, but really, watching it now it's a more than great show.

11. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Look at it this way Disney actually wants Marvel. Unlike PR evidently.

12. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

13. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Power Rangers RPM.

Made my girlfriend watch a clip or two from the early episodes and asked her to tell me what kids show she thought it was from - she had no idea. When I revealed it was Power Rangers, she was in disbelief.

14. Ceasar121

News Credits:
    Think I'm gonna obtain some RPM for my viewing pleasure. Sounds pretty good. Also sounds like Disney ruined a great ending. I wish all but the Disney theme parks would go away. They haven't really put out anything I was big fan of since Chip N Dale, Ducktales and the Rocketeer.

15. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    RPM was the one series that I vid grabbed when I had the chance, and I'm glad I did. But I'm super stoked over Saban taking back the Rangers. Very exciting.

Now...put Jason David Frank back into one of those series and call it MMPR-A. That would be the equivalent of dividing by zero.

16. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    heropower - 2011 RANGERS CASTING?

It has not yet been confirmed if this is authentic or not (frankly, I'm leaning towards a fake) but if true it means Shinkenger is indeed the source of the new show!

17. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I am suprised about the amount of people that liked RPM. It wasn't as bad as Operation Overdrive, but I still didn't like it.

The last full series of PR I watched was SPD, and Mystic Force just ruined it all for me. If Saban does a good job bringing Shinkenger over, I will be very happy.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I think RPM's strongest trait was that it wasn't uber serious. The overall tone and themes were dark and real, but it had a sense of humour. But rather than be silly and cheesy with that humour, it was real humour generated by character dynamic. (sometimes it poked fun at itself, like "big googly anime eyes" and "all twevle zords? Isn't that a bit crazy?" but again, genuinely funny)

I think the Ranger *colour* episodes were the best, because they really did give the "real" side to the characters. Plus there were other, more realistic themes and plots like Scott's brother's death and overall lack of appreciation from his dad, or Ziggy's problems with the cartels.

If they follow any of these kinds of themes or tones, then this new PR series should do just fine.

19. brollicon

brollicon Well-Known Member

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    ^ah hell yes