Power of the Primes Voyager Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Nov 30, 2017.

1. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

But even if you upsized the Dinobots to voyagers they still aren't gonna be Titan sized Devastator...they have 7 bots to the 5 Dinos..so of course they're going to be bigger!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Lots of great insights and thoughts on this figure, many valid criticisms.
    My main observation is that I may be changing as a collector. I see lots of the complaints and criticisms and I think most are well-founded. Yet, they're just not bothering me as they might have a few years back.

Very well stated all around. I agree with all of these points except that the cons aren't bothering me as much.

It's interesting to compare this to the FOC figure being directly comparable as the same character (more or less) at the essentially the same price point. I definitely agree with your description of the FOC guy having more "oomph." I think that's well put...but the "oomph reduction" I think was intentional on this figure...and to good effect (per my personal taste).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  3. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Even though I have a Grimlock already in my PoL, I got impatient waiting for something else to ship with him so I went ahead and picked up one that I found at Wal-Mart. I am loving this figure more than I thought I would. This is my opinion, but I think this is the best looking G1-style Grimlock we have gotten in the Generations line. I thought his wings in robot mode were too small but I found if I leave them out almost butting up against the back of shoulders, it looks so much better.

T-Rex mode looks fantastic and much sharper looking than the FoC Grimlock, at least from the waist up. Below the waist, Grimlock definitely has a case of thunder thighs going on. It also looks pretty strange for him to have such tiny claws on his feet. But despite all this, I still think he was well worth the money. If I could add just a few more things to Grimlock, I would have liked to see some pegs on his back to plug in the combiner mode feet in dino mode instead of the sides of his robot arms/dino feet. I think it would have looked better and they could have acted as back mounted launchers. Other nitpick, I wish he had a traditional looking G1 Energo-Sword. Hopefully Shapeways will take care of the latter if not already.

• Like Like x 1
  4. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Seems like it's really a shame Takara choose this line to "unify" the brand ~ Seems like a little TT TLC would have really made a lot of these POTP figures pop, even if it was things like the potential inclusion of individual classic weapons if they'd done the Dinobots Unite Warriors-style.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I kind of mixed about it, on one hand you have Voyagers and Leaders plagued with stickers and arguably in some cases missing that detail work that they might have gotten in the United or Legends line.
    On the other hand, Deluxes maybe but definitely Legends figures seem to have benefited in that especially in the case of the latter they’ve gotten a very generous amount of paint work and detailing.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Who says you need to be the same size as someone to fight and beat them?

I feel like 90% of mecha media supports the notion that heroes can overcome overwhelming odds. If anything Volcanicus just has a bigger target to hit.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Every single federation that sanctions combat sports on the entire planet, amateur or professional, for starters... :p 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

I feel that the perfect effect upgrades will massively improve on this combiner much like they did with others (though barring Superion's upgrades, I was actually happy with the Combiner Wars take on him, facemask and all).

That being said though, the fact that his main chest section is almost all clear plastic worries me... I'm sure a lot of us have seen the poor state that PotP Jazz is in, plus how we've been burned by clear plastic joints and whatnot in the past. Why did they make clear plastic such a big part of these figures? It's structurally weaker than the regular plastic, plus the fact that Grimlock is a combiner torso adds the stress and weight of at least two other bots to the mix.

I want to believe that Hasbro has perfected the plastic compound a bit somehow, but quality control has been abysmal with this sub-line so far. So my hopes are not incredibly high.

9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Question: does that apply also to giant fictional aliens at war?

Because if so, the Animated Autobots are gonna be pissed. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Anyone find good 5mm Constructbots weapons that look good with this Grimlock?

11. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but dinobots aren't the kind of heroes that overcome their foes with swiftness and smartness. They crush their enemies with brute strenght.

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But also stupid enough to bullrush enemies bigger/stronger than them just to prove that they can.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Me Grimlock love challenge!
    Well, I have to say, with the upgrade kits I'm starting to become more interested in these dinobots for the combined form. I still don't like very much Grimlock, but maybe it will grow in me with time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Who said they were swift and smart?

Clearly you've never seen GaoGaiGar rip apart and enemy twice his size piece by piece with his brute strength. You've got a serious lack of imagination if you can't visualize any way for a dude as mean looking as Volcanicus to take down Devastator. He'll cut Dev's legs off and make them both the same size if he has to.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

C
    Uh, no, wait. I've seen plenty of examples like that, and they are indeed cool, but as much as I see dinosaurs as the biggest and baddest creatures that ever lived I see dinobots as the biggest and baddest bots, and I want their combined form...you see the pattern.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I’ve never really seen the Dinobots as the perpetual kings of the hill. They’re just the excuse that Decepticons need to bust out something bigger.

• Like Like x 3
  17. SuperSlacker

SuperSlacker Guy who lives in Nemesis Prime's sleeper cab

Can't wait to square off my potp Dinobots against my tfc Hercules Devy... Now THAT will be a good match, and closer in size

• Like Like x 1
  18. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Cons need Predaking!

19. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Supposed to be coming later this year. He's this year's "Titan Class" figure.

• Like Like x 2
  20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Just picked up Grimlock. The shoulders on mine are floaty, and yeah the dino mode sucks from the waist down. That said, the robot mode is great! And the fan-torso-mode is badass and looks awesome, and even with the floaty shoulders the tolerances are good enough that it holds and can be posed. If the T-ex mode had a better tail and hips that could retract it'd be a damn near perfect figure all around.

• Like Like x 1