Power of the Primes Voyager Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Nov 30, 2017.

1. geezerman402

geezerman402 Well-Known Member

Yup, and one of my prime masters is such a tight fit that his peg usually pops out instead of going into Grimlocks fist. A tad annoying!

2. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I gave him TR Prime's gun and FOC Grimlock's sword.
    grimmy.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  3. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

So how do these actually attach? Friction?

• Like Like x 1
  4. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Here you go.

[​IMG]

Here’s what mine looks like now.

Anyway, anyone knows if Snarl’s tail splays the same way?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ice1991

Ice1991 X-Combaticon

Love this figure already working on a 3d print of his g1 gun. Can't have grimlock without at least one of his weapons.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm really liking my "Amalgamous Grimlock".He's just a tad bit larger than the "Nexus Slash" I already had, Now I just need some deluxe Dinos & maybe another Slash or a Cindersaur.

It looks funny slash riding "piggyback" on him, her legs barely extend beyond his bot-mode chest.

7. Ice1991

Ice1991 X-Combaticon

So I have a gun made now. Modeled after his G1 Gun. Not sure if anyone would be interested in one, but is so, I may make a shapeways store. IMG_20180110_153619792.jpg IMG_20180110_153728568.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  8. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

So I thought I'd do a little experiment, if you will.

Being completely let down by the QC of my initial Grimlock, I picked up a second one this afternoon. First off, the tabbing of combine mode for the second one was SO NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENT, that they almost felt like two different toys. Secondly, the hips. Still pretty soft in the ratcheting; so I decided to open both up and have a look.

The assembly has three spacers, one for left, one for right and then the waist. The waist one should have a tooth on the front and back, whereas the L and R have only one. Well, comparing how the two Grimlock's were assembled, they weren't the same. So right off the bat, you can tell there is some shoddy assembly going on.

I rearranged the spacers on my second Grimmy, with the waist having the two tooth one, and the L and R in their respective spots. After adding a smidge of fun tact behind them, to make them protrude and give a little more bite, this figure "feels great" now.

Siiiiiiiigh, lucky for me, I enjoying doing this kind of stuff. But man o man, why can't this get sorted out in the factory phase of the product.

I revert back to my original sentiment on this figure....it's AWESOME, but shouldn't require what I had to go through to make it reach its awesome potential.

Moral of the story? Always buy two figures, keep your receipt, and have screwdrivers of all sizes at your disposal.

Here's the waist spacer, with the two teeth. (which was in one of the leg spots of my second figure)

[​IMG]

Here's one of the leg spacers, from my first Grimmy; notice how smashed and crushed it is...preventing the tooth from getting a good bite on the ratchet; hence the soft clicking feel)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Super helpful. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Got mine monday. I'm not sure I would have bothered with him if it wasn't for Volcanicus, but I've got Masterpiece for a nice looking Grimlock, he's a damn sight better than Energon Grimlock, and I've been waiting since 1985 for a Dinobot combiner I could actually afford.

Without a doubt he's the weakest of the four POTP Dinobots I've gotten so far, but I don't actually consider him bad. I think it's largely because I can understand the problems this figure was going to face. This is a toy where no matter what someone was going to bitch, and bitch hard. If he didn't look like G1 there'd be bitching about that. But making him look G1 also limited what they could do with the combined mode. Remember Hasbro has a ton of cost, weight, time, and size concerns to deal with to get the toy onto Big Box shelves a 3rd party doesn't.

So wonky porportions aside how is he? Not bad in Robot mode, weird in Dino mode, and suffering from the lack of proper weapons. The foot pieces on his robot arms work okay thouhg, and you can fit the robot fists in the holes for the enigma and stand him on them if you want bigger dino mode feet.

Now as a torso... Well I like it. It's not as good as some, due to having to work around the classic Grimlock look and not having any combiner kibble. But I like that odd lanky look to the arms. It makes him look a little more monsterous. I do think that putting the spare hands on the sides to beef him up helps a lot. Downside is you can't make the bigger feet if you do, though he seems stable enough. Also he's taller than Victorion. Really he needs a chest piece accessory, and I see some 3P doing that. Or maybe someone like Paddles or Scowl. In fact it'd be possible to use it to help the problems with the shoulders coming apart. You've got the holes in the sides of the chest for the extra fists, plus the holes and pegs on the dino legs, and the gaps in the chest. Heck you could use that to support the shoulders, and keep them from coming untabbed.

Oh and there is one other fun thing about the spot the Enigma is supposed to tab in. If you can fit an enigma or prime master in something, you can fit a titan master. Meaning it's easy to make it look like Grimlock just bit off some poor Decepticon's head.

11. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    For a classics style Grimlock I think he is great. Combiner torso has issues but I don’t plan on combining the dinobots. I have the same feeling for all of the dinobots except for slash. They would be better if they weren’t combiners.

12. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Nicely done on the gun. Now, Grimlock's ready to turn Decepticons into molten metal.

13. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like shiny new rifles

100_3552.JPG
    (TR Twintwist)

• Like Like x 3
  14. BlueAngel_Bolt

BlueAngel_Bolt I'M REALLY FEELING IT

News Credits:
    I find him to be kinda eh, overall. I'm holding out until the Perfect Effect kits hit and see if the torso piece they're making fixes some of the stability issues in torso mode

15. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    Cutting off this tab on the interior of the hand makes flipping them out of the forearms immeasurably easier

BC55106A-98DB-49AD-B2CB-C56B63DD5B0A.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    this will come in handy, in my copy one of the hands takes a lot of force to flip out, whenever I transform him I decided not to fully fold in that hand to avoid some unnecessary pain.

17. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    I have the same problem with the hands being too tough to flip out from a fully folded in position. It’s just that I don’t fully fold them back in. Don’t need to as almost fully folded recesses them enough to be flush.

18. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Got this guy along with Rodimus Prime last night...

Transformed him this morning, and some thoughts...

Grimlock's T-Rex mode is just soooo bad. Well, everything from his waist down anyway as those combiner ports just make his tail and legs look weird. Not to mention that clear plastic for the robot chest/lower dino. I forsee a lot of broken PotP Grimlocks in the years to come cause of that flimsy clear plastic.

Still, we got a new Grimlock...we're getting new Dinobots in G1 style again...

Now the wait for PotP Sludge and Snarl to come out... Not for the combiner mode, just to have a complete set of Dinobots again. Could care less about Volcanus.

19. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    My only gripe with this figure is the added width to the Dino legs for the combiner ports and the crazy wide hips in dino mode.

The hips are my biggest issue but really it’s a pretty decent figure otherwise and I really don’t get the “gap-tastic” comments especially considering the hollow monstrosity that is FoC Grimlock.

20. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I got my POTP grimlock but i have a red piece that popped off yesterday when i opened him up that i can't find out where it goes. I think i seen it in the directions as it's for combine mode i think.