Power of the Primes Select Series

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by NomadVagabond, Nov 6, 2018.

1. jmagnus83

jmagnus83 Well-Known Member

Yeah i couldn't even focus on that. The process as he describes it just seems backwards. Design a bunch of stuff that won't get sold and then market things in a way that make the intended target audience think they will be made. POTP has brought everyone's desire to die on their own particular hill. And his hill is this claim that the line was designed as it was released. others think it was truncated in development. I skew more to the truncation theory and also think that Hasbro has to get better at marketing its products in a non-obfuscatory way (use renders that don't hit at alternate heads for Hun-Grrr, don't include package art hinting at some mysterious Black Jazz, etc.)

• Like Like x 6
  2. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i agree, the physical evidence lends more credibility to the truncation theory, and if im not mistaken john warden soft confirmed the truncation theory in an interview at the con where siege was first shown off. i don't have a link to the video but he said something along the lines of "we've been working on siege for almost two years now and we were really excited to hurry up and get it out to the fans". not an exact quote mind you, but the wording and tone of the interview implied that a conscious decision was made to cut the line short and the physical evidence of unused tooling and renders and artwork also lends credibility to that argument

• Like Like x 1
  3. denebian

denebian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    4 if you also count Onyx, since it was listed as "special edition" on Predaking's box, and also doesn't have a shell.

• Like Like x 1
  4. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    D'oh! Forgot about that one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Cybertronian Kitty

News Credits:
    From a mold cost perspective, it's incredibly easy to add in 2-3 alternate head parts into a mold from the beginning as a planned repaint. While we HAVE seen some cases over the years of unused alt heads, they really dropped the ball on POTP with using said alt tooling on prototypes shown at conventions! They even F'd up Hun-Gurr's production packaging so bad they had to white-out the face in one spot!!!

If the 'truncated' theory makes me a conspiracy nut, then i'll just have to ask the wife where the tinfoil is so I can make myself a new hat...

• Like Like x 4
  6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    So far this has only been made reality by my customizing clients such as Evil129, with a little help from my Shapeways conversion sets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  7. jmagnus83

The interview is on the Allspark. Someone from Hasbro is asked about the shorter length of PotP and the Hasbro rep said that POTP was short because they wanted to move to the new trilogy faster. You can take that in many ways and but it could point to a jump ahead in the Siege development process that led to PotP being shortened or a long term plan for a short POTP line.

The quote that is linked more to Select Series is where someone asks Warden whether there are any plans for a new Collector's Club or Botcon in the foreseeable future and Warden says "We have plans for exclusives stay TUNED". That sings Select Series to me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    If anything Select Series is just Platinum Series 2.0.

• Like Like x 4
  9. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yep, both of those are what i was thinking of but i thought it was warden for both of them. thanks for keeping track of that :) 

by that logic platinum series was just universe (2003) 2.0 which was just rid2001 2.0

10. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never liked Buster and Hydra's color scheme.
    The red clashes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is the kind of thing I want from a TT Legends Buster/Hydra two pack! Not just a couple paint apps. I’m still hoping!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Not even, Universe was a mass retail released line, while Platinum was a series of retailer exclusives with different retailers only getting certain releases.

13. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    fair point, but i was meaning as more of a repaint kind of line. and by the end of their runs both rid2001 and universe 1.0 essentially became retailer exclusive

14. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Optimal Opthanos

News Credits:
    If anyone wants evidence PotP was cut short....the first two Siege Leaders are both evolution figures who were candidates for the Prime poll.

Meanwhile, Chromia is the Nova/Moonracer mold with the combiner peg gutted.

I'm telling you, Primal was always going to be part of Wave 3 and all we did was change who got their true "Prime Form" at SDCC.

• Like Like x 1
  15. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Essentially the fandom at large thinks every line at retail should be made to meet their ridiculous demands, and they treat it as a direct assault when that doesn't happen. DOUBLY so if they don't switch Generations to everything BUT G1 since they feel that they deserve full focus and that such things as retail failure matter nothing to their "needs".

• Like Like x 1
  16. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i still dont believe the siege leaders are the exact figures we would have gotten in potp, they work too differently, but the designs could have been tweaked im sure

• Like Like x 1
  17. jmagnus83

I got a feeling that you have intense feelings on this subject and that you are angling to say something regarding non-G1 fans. Just got this feeling that you want to say something in that vein when even Deadend's post doesn't talk about that. It talks about design staff designing and marketing figures that will never be sold or not sold in the fashion that they were originally hinted at in order to troll fans in some fashion

• Like Like x 1
  18. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in Ricochet since I love the jazz mold

• Like Like x 1
  19. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's interesting if you go back and look at the leak, there's no mention there of Predaking having a Prime Master which suggests the thinking was still evolving as how to get the remaining ones to market at that point.

• Like Like x 1
  20. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Optimal Opthanos

News Credits:
    The original leak was each voyager could house a matrix/engima...i i think.