POWER OF THE PRIMES (POTP) Rodimus prime Preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by is456, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Trying to attach a trailer to a futuristic sports car is inherently flawed, not to mention stupid on so many levels. We're technically in the future and no one in real life has ever thought of that as a good idea.

And given this thing will retail at $45, you can pick up a KO Masterpiece Hot Rod for $35 that's just as good as the real thing. I feel bad for all the people who bought Classics Rodimus, Titans Return Hot Rod and keep going for this sub par Hasbro shit without realizing there are many better options out there. Hell, Alternators Rodimus is still one of the best figures of that character and he came out years ago.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

Are there any English reviews of this up yet?

3. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

That would the ONLY reason I'd consider getting thisl

4. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    I'm a big RP fan, super excited for this guy!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I'm fine with retro-scifi campy "how in the eighties people imagined the future" car designs. Space winnebago might look silly by today standards, but that's a part of being a classic TF design.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Yaujta

Yaujta Chill dad. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's from a different era. Many designs from the 80's are odd by today's standards.
    I actually prefer Hot Rod/Rodimus to be the camper/super car from back then. Modern iterations just don't look right to me. The Alternator version is sweet, but never screamed Hot Rod to me like the MP, the Classics or the TR versions do.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Russ840

Russ840 Autobot Targetmaster

Lol. That is the reason I am getting this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'm looking at this... and think that if I was to get this then I might as well drop a few dollars more and get the old Masterpiece.

• Like Like x 6
  9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I really don't think most are expecting MP quality from these guys, just that adding the gimmicks doesn't make much sense at the cost of the product.

CW Megatron and Jetire weren't combiners despite the theme of the series.

Then look at TR Optimus and CW ultra Magnus where this gimmick actually applies to them and they skip it.

They wanted to make a true hot rod and Orion pax, make them as separate releases. Then release the leaders versions without the gimmicks and the massive kibble.

The disappointment comes from a long wanting of decent leader versions of these characters and this what we get. Gimmick ridden version at the detriment of making them excellent toys.

Hell, they could have done a rodikus that was 80 percent full transformation and 20 percent battle base for Titan or legends figures to enteract with. Like wise, Optimus where fans have been dying for a tradition Optimus leader since every version since 2007 has been nothing but a repaint for another character.

• Like Like x 4
  10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Well said.

11. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YAY! No Headmaster. I'll consider this.

Fansproject Protector served his purpose for like 5yrs(!!!)

But I could use an official one.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm just baffled how close to the finish line Hasbro seems to get on many of these and then the "budget gives out".

With an extra hinge or two, there is absolutely a way to fold up Hot Rod's butt windshield. There is absolutely a way to fold away the pieces that cover his hands in alt mode so they don't just hang off like that. And there is absolutely a way to manage that backpack better.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with this. I will probably get both of these guys. I think Optimus looks pretty damn good... but we really were overdue for a Rodimus Prime. A couple more parts and he could have been so much better. I don't think he's awful, but as a Rodimus Prime fan, I feel like once again I am left with a disappointing figure. I don't even feel like any 3rd party company has really hit the ball out of the park yet for him.

14. W-P38

W-P38 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, we had the original MP, which did convert from Hot Rod to Rodimus Prime. And a Targetmaster included in the Hasbro release. I bought a Hasbro version, then got my hands on the trailer that came with the Takara version.

I have the Classics version, and the TR. Neither are perfect, but each have preferable elements. I'm not a huge fan of "dummy" or faux parts in order to facilitate transformation, etc (very glad the new Jazz's chest actually is the front of his car mode AND he can still combine - makes me wish they would've figured that out for CW Prowl/Smokescreen, and others).

But I have to say, Hot Rod looks dope. I don't mind that he's simple, he's part of a much more complex package. Interesting that Hasbro finally chose black 'boots' for both modes, also, as opposed to original toy accuracy like most of the PW G1 updates.

Finally, I'm a huge Armada fan. Some nostalgia there as it marked my return to collecting as an adult. I think Dreamwave (RIP) did I great job of bringing back G1 alongside a brand new series. However, I'm a big fan of the original Armada figures, not so much what they've done in terms of updates. Universe Hot Shot, maybe. But Generations Armada Starscream, CW Armada Megatron, Unite Warriors Armada Thrust, and the claim that Siege on Cybertron Tidal Wave is also Armada-based (don't see this, at all), have all been disappointments and can't touch the original, denser plastic, show accurate (like G1, the animation was based on the figures and not the other way around), higher quality Armada toys.

Interestingly, roughly 15 years passed from G1 to when Armada premiered, and now it's been roughly 15 years since Armada (!)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  15. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't collect series or scales, just good toys. I love the Hot Rod robot mode. The transformation is obviously very silly. The Rodimus portion is rubbish. I'll probably just spring for the Masterpiece Target Master Hot Rod and call it a day.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Buzzetta

Buzzetta Well-Known Member

I look at this as a missed opportunity in several areas. I agree with the poster that said that the figures appears that they ran out on the budget for it. I am just not on board with what feels like a parts-former. I am very picky for some reason when it comes to this character. Originally my G1 was my default... then that became my 2006(?) Classics Hot Rod... Then I sold then and accepted the Masterpiece TRU Rodimus/Hot Rod as my default. Then that found a new home and as of now my only Rodimus is MP-28. I don't feel like this is an upgrade. I may trade in the MP28 for the upcoming MP40.

We shall see.

17. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get a real Car Robots/RID vibe off of this guy, what with the cab robot powering up via a parts forming trailer. I loved it when Optimus did it and I'd probably love it here.

• Like Like x 5
  18. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

I hate to the barer of bad news, but I don't think Hasbro will ever touch Armada again, let alone Armada Prime, as cool as it would be.

19. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    I cant believe they put that giant flame sticker on a damn hinge. Deluxe figures get amazing tampo paint apps, why do they cheap out on the leaders with stickers?!

• Like Like x 2
  20. WEEGEE

WEEGEE SS is the hero we need...

News Credits:
    Geewuner nostalgia profits.

• Like Like x 1