Power of the Primes (PotP) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TyrantGalvatron, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Thatsjustkreo67

Thatsjustkreo67 Hot Roding Autobot Punk

YouTube:
    I bought A custom painted Starscream on eBay. I can't wait. Who should I use for limbs? Anyone from either faction will work.

• Like Like x 1
  2. King Glurch

King Glurch The Frenchiest Fry

YouTube:
    I would go with Dreadwind, Darkwing, Off-Road, and maybe repurpose jet Blast Off into someone else.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Defender of Ed-Land

I myself am planning on Dreadwind, Blackwing, CW Vortex and the Amazon Blast Off. The latter two because they make sense as a pair and carry a consistent aerial theme. Technically, jet Blast Off would work better for the aerial theme but he is currently available and kind of keeps things more "OG" with Vortex.

• Like Like x 2
  4. LinkNZ

LinkNZ Galvatron From The Headmasters Dub

Now that I've got the last piece of the puzzle (P/CP), I can finally re-enact my favorite scene from Headmasters!

tf_this_is_unicorn_1.jpg

Punch: "Time to do some spying on the Decepticons... as a Decepticon!"

tf_this_is_unicorn_2.jpg

Counterpunch: "Now lets see what their latest diabolical scheme is..."

tf_this_is_unicorn_3a.jpg

Galvatron: "This is Unicorn! The Earth will soon be a part of me."

tf_this_is_unicorn_4.jpg

Sixshot: "Whoooooooooar..?"

tf_this_is_unicorn_5.jpg

Galvatron: "But before I can fulfill my ambitions, I need a lot of transforming parts."

tf_this_is_unicorn_6.jpg

Galvatron: "But I can't have just any old parts, I must have the best parts, and that's from the best warriors you see."

Sixshot: "Of course my lord..."

tf_this_is_unicorn_7.jpg

Galvatron: "Now besides myself, I consider you to be the next best warrior Sixshot, your parts are some of the strongest in the galaxy!"

tf_this_is_unicorn_8.jpg

Galvatron: "Well of course there are many others who would sacrifice themselves to serve me, but you're my first choice Sixshot! WHA-HAH-HAH-HA-HA!

tf_this_is_unicorn_9a.jpg

Counterpunch: "...What the??????????????"

• Like Like x 25
  5. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    I can never quite tell if I love or hate Wreck-Gar. My spoiled friend, the guy that got all the cool toys, loved Wreck-Gar. I think Simon Furman liked him a lot, or at the very least was really into the fun he could have with Wreck Gar’s speech patterns. And he seemed to get a fairly prominent part in any of the TF:Uk stories he turned up in. But I think he might have actually been an incredibly annoying character.

But I felt the peer pressure when I was little and somehow Wreck-Gar was a big deal. Sure he helped put Magnus back together, sure he fixed Bumblebee into Goldbug, sure he got his ‘tasche burnt by Quintesson guards but uh…was that it? Who cares? You could use him to get quotes from old TV programmes in. Done deal.

Alongside Rodimus Prime, Wreck Gar felt like the ’86 equivalent of a ‘Deluxe Autobot’; a little bit bigger than the other guys coming out, but not up at the top of the scale chart or price point. Ok, he was a motorbike. And Transforming Motorbikes were cool. There’s a reason that Groove was my favourite ‘Scramble City’ limb. But hey, here’s another hottake; Super Gobot Cy-Kill was a better bike-former than Wreck-Gar. Wreck-Gar even stole Cy-Kill’s design for the front wheel.

In bot mode Wreck-Gar has some nice features, like that nice chrome-y chest, and some nice arm articulation, but still manage to look a bit awkward. That helmet is so so so big. I know there’s probably not much more they could do within the limitations of the time, but it really looks so bulky. The fact his knees bend back also drives me a bit crazy. It’s not unknown in TF designs, but it always makes me wince. The big let down of the bike mode is those legs just sitting there looking like legs. Urk.

I came into collecting too late to get the Reveal the Shield figure and then was too put off by the scare stories about him to actually dare to pick one up. So for the last few years of CHUG collecting Wreck-Gar has been a gap I could have closed at any point. I guess it helps that John Barber didn’t actually bring him in until near the end of the IDW-verse. So of course when the PotP Wreck-Gar finally got leaked (this guy’s been a rumour since like, Combiner Wars?) I was all over it.

As if you didn’t already know, PotP Wreck Gar is a redo of Unite Warriors Groove. And frankly it’s a pretty poor fit for Wreck-Gar. Wreckgar had such a distinctive look, from his windshield head to his tit cannons and metallic engine chest, and PotP Wreck Gar has none of these features.

As bad as all that is, the fact that the ‘bot mode has such a tiny little pinhead is really the worst thing. I mean, it’s not a bad head mold by any stretch. It’s not amazing, but it certainly looks like Wreck Gar. But the rest of the body is so hideously generic that it looks like a random ’86 combiner limb.

Oh, yes. Right.

The bike mode isn’t awful. but it’s simply that the detail all seems have gone into windshield, lights and front wheel, with the rest of the bike seeming a bit bland and blocky. But the windsheild and lights are very pretty, so I really can’t totally write it off. Adding to the overall feeling of this being a cheap afterthought is the addition of a weapon accesory from the RtS Wreck Gar.

With the agenda of of the incoming WfC trilogy clearly being a reset I’ve felt a bit funny about updates of characters like Ultra Magnus and Springer, toys where I’ve felt the recent versions were superb and whom I wouldn’t wish to replace. Wreck Gar? I’m near praying at them to take a gimmick free stab at the dude. Turns out I like him enough to wish that for him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  6. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I really like this guy. It's amazing how much the upgrade have improved him. Ball jointed ankles instead of geared ankles for the win! And though the gun is huge, it still looks good on him, IMO.

20181010_030825.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  7. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  8. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Cybertronian Kitty

News Credits:
    For those of you who want to make your own Prime Masters to replace the ones only available with the "Throne" set or Predaking, Shapeways has a solution:

Rare Primes 4-Pack by TrentTroop on Shapeways

Link above is for all 4 PMs, but there are links on the page to individual PMs. Super-thanks to whoever made the models!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 9
  9. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    I just want to say I love that you do side by side comparisons with the g1 version. Gives me a huge perspective of what was vs what is. Thanks!
    those are the KO ones, right? They look pretty good.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat Deja vu

Google+:
    YouTube:
    @Trentulas made the models. The onyx plate was commissioned by @tigatron2002. The other 3 of the 4 from thrones was commissioned by me. I didn't have prima commissioned as he was available from p/cp.

• Like Like x 7
  11. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Hey, thank you! I'm always happy to hear(read) when someone gets something out of these rambling comparisons.

• Like Like x 4
  12. deathdrive

deathdrive Well-Known Member

20181010_034602_LLS.jpg 20181011_014113_LLS.jpg 20181011_014150_LLS.jpg So I made up a nice little tank mode for Optimal optimus. Ignore the extra swords they are for primal (the pin removal mod is awesome)

• Like Like x 16
  13. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat Deja vu

Google+:
    YouTube:
    • Like Like x 2
  14. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yep, and I like the feet on them better than PE's. The gun is big and heavy, but he looks good with it, IMHO. Got 'em off of Ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone thrown together a potential Primes power up bios for P-CP yet? Currently all I can think of is Prima Punch- uses position within enemy ranks to broker piece between autobots and decepticons

• Like Like x 3
  16. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

Liege Maximo would obviously be perfecting his disguise, so nobody could tell which is the real him, while Megatronus would be used to sow dissent in both sides.

• Like Like x 3
  17. King Glurch

King Glurch The Frenchiest Fry

YouTube:
    Vector Prime would be to turn back time if he were caught.
    Solus Prime would be to forge new weapons for either mode.
    Alchemist Prime would be to create new armor coatings so the Autobots are not damaged by his weapons.
    Amalgamous Prime would be able to turn into any new disguise.
    Nexus Prime would be to combine with Decepticon combiners and keep his identity a secret.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

20181010_233831.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  19. GL2814H

GL2814H Active Member

Ebay:
    No one likes skullgrin in my area, picked up a 3rd one for 1.00 on clearance at Walmart.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    Not bad, could I use the Prime Armor Hands if I wanted to?