Power of the Primes (PotP) Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TyrantGalvatron, Jul 20, 2017.

1. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Cheeky double post...

Power of the Primes has ticked off boxes for some pretty big characters in its first wave. Characters, real poster boys for the early years of the G1 line. Throw in Bumblebee, Soundwave and Megatron and you'd have a full house. It almost feels like they're getting some of the obvious things out the way so they can have fun with more obscure things like Elita-1's crew and the Terrorcons.

Ah Starscream. Defined by Chris Latta's batshit voice in the cartoon. The treacherous lieutenant and arguably the biggest character in the Decepticon ranks. There were a few key stories that really burned Starscream into my brain. The old, early Furman, Enemy Within and Target:2006 itself.

He was one of the first Transformers toys I ever got. My uncle got him for me. He was so cool when you were a little geek kid. A grown up that had read the Transformers comics himself and was into the idea of cool toys. I discovered 2000ad through a pile of comics he'd left round at my gran's house. He was also kind of an irresponsible arsehole that used to blow all his money gambling and would steal my Grandad's cheque book and forge his signature to top up his funds. He died about twenty years ago after he got hit by a car when he was running across a busy road in Glasgow. I can't look at the toy of Starscream without thinking about him. Considering that Starscream was another arsehole that I loved, it feels quite appropriate.

Starscream is a pretty frustrating toy. The seeker mold is the original partsformer. Only the most fastidious of kids would have managed to keep all the various accessories, most of which were crucial to the look of the robot. I mean what are you left with if you lose the fists and wings? Anyway, I was not a fastidious kid and would up with something that looked like a missile with a cockpit.

The robot looks kind of awful. Nothing at all like the mean and powerful character we were used to in the cartoons and comics. In terms of disappointing a child that loved the cartoon/comic, the Seeker mold is only second to Ratchet/Ironhide. Beyond the prominence of the character, you can see why the MP designers were keen to take a crack and designing a better Starscream.

Goofy and cumbersome as the bot mode looks, the jet really did look incredibly good. Up until G.I.Joe really took off in the UK, renamed as Action Force, the original '84 and '85 were the most authentic looking war vehicles I'd seen.

We've had some pretty good CHUG Starscreams over the years, from the good old fashioned 'Classics' and 'Thrilling 30' Deluxe versions to the Combiner Wars Leader class version. And while they've all had their charms, none of them felt quite right scale wise. Many of us were crying out for a Voyager scale Seeker mold. Careful what you wish for, right?

So with the main gimmick of Power of the Primes being combiners, at least as far as the Deluxe and Voyager figures goes, it's inevitable that characters that were never originally combiners are going to suffer. Aside from maybe Grimlock, the Dinobots have weathered this quite well. Starscream less well. His combiner ports have wound up giving him weirdly swollen and bloated forearms, shins, and feet. What's weird is that his head and chest look pretty good, but they just feel like they belong to a much smaller bot. Almost somewhere between a Voyager and Deluxe, which wouldn't be such a bad look for yer Seeker.

And it's not just the hands and feet that are the problem. Those null rays are puny! Even if you attach them to the 'Bucklers'/combiner feet and attach them like that to beef 'em out a little. It's a fake cockpit, naturally and the wings are pretty...kibbley and panely. Sure he's a 'pre-tool' for Elita-1 but it's not just that he doesn't look right as 'Starscream', it's that it's that the whole design of the mold is really quite messy.

The jetmode fares no better. I'm not sure it need the horrid big silver stickers. They really work hard to make the toy look cheap. I understand that it's a way for the design team to get extra detail in within the limits of the budget, but it really doesn't work on this figure. Ultimately though, the real problem is that the jet looks as weirdly bloated as the bot mode.

And it's such a shame. If you're a scale nut like I am then the prospect of having a good Voyager scale Seeker to sit in your shelf is such a satisfying prospect, and to see it fumbled so badly is a big disappointment. I don't imagine we're going to get another crack at Voyager seeker in the Generations line for quite some time!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 14
  2. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The more I look at that robot mode, the more I see that just a little added color separation would downplay some of that bulk. I honestly wouldn't have minded him if only Hasbro decided to mold him in the correct colors.

Shame about Starscream... I was really looking forward to seeing how Takara would handle his deco, plastic colors, and overall color layout.

#RIPTAKARATOMY2018

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 5:33 AM
    • Like Like x 3
  3. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    It'll be interesting to see how Eilta-1 wears the mold. I can see that, potentially, working a lot better.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 4:50 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I was thinking: I think they got Cyclonus and Starscream backwards in terms of which figure would go best with which tooling.

I can see a good Cyclonus, especially from the hazy Elita One pics we have. And Starscream would have better proportions as a Silverbolt retool.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

Instagram:
    Found myself enjoying Starscream more than I thought I would.

"Just a normal day at Decepticon Base.."
    DSC09374.JPG

"The time has come for my leadership! Die Megatron!"
    DSC09376.JPG

"Megatron has fallen! I, Starscream am the new leader!"
    DSC09379.JPG

"It's time to greet my new troops!"
    DSC09382.JPG

"We shall see, starscream. We shall see..."
    DSC09383.JPG

• Like Like x 21
  6. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

For one thing, from the artwork he's based on, the outside of the gauntlets is suppose to be painted white.

7. Large

Large Currently marathoning coffee. Done Quick.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Power of Love.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  8. VenomGTSR

VenomGTSR Well-Known Member

You know, I don't hate this Starscream but he certainly is disappointing. I wish he could have had his own mold in Titans Return. I can't help but think that line would have done him justice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Latooni

Latooni Enduring Cabin Fever

I have a picture request for anyone who owns Starscream. Could I see what he looks like from the rear, combined? Any limbs will do.

10. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can’t put this figure down... absolutely love it

8ACEAB13-DCD4-4884-B570-07A21F1C2B9A.jpeg

• Like Like x 16
  11. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime Female G1 and Masterpiece collector

He looks incredible here. I am on the fence with him. I think I'm going to finish my dinobots and pick up the smaller Legends figures only. I say that now... I said something similar for titans Return too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Rodimus' new pet.
    potprod1.png

"Keep firing!"
    potprod2.png

Arise, Pugnant Prime!
    potprod3.png

• Like Like x 13
  13. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

Oh god I'm right there with you.

14. Large

Large Currently marathoning coffee. Done Quick.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    War Dawn DX !

[​IMG]

"So, funny story...
    - Is that the one with the deaf guy living in a whistle ?
    - ... Yeah ! That one ! Except the whistle blows up and we end up with that guy and you know, he dead and all. Want to help some time displaced bros out ?
    - Excuse me do I know any of you ? And who's that guy ? Look at him ! What is he ? A Kup repaint ?
    - Dude. Too soon.
    - Alright alright, it's not like I have anything to do before playing Charlie's Cyber-angels. Wait, time displaced ?"

[​IMG]

"Damn, that was one hell of a night. Can't believe you punch that shlark dude's face with your schbourb... Uh, feel different.
    - Yeah, kind of. Doors will be awkward for a while.
    - Aaaanyway, thanks guys for getting me outta of that bar, don't remember much but I hope you didn't get into any trouble.
    - Well if the universe doesn't implode in the next 8 minutes due to time paradox, I'll say we're fine.
    - ... I don't even want to know what you did with my body."

• Like Like x 16
  15. MadMaximus

MadMaximus Well-Known Member

IMG_20180112_113344226_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  16. TheSupernova

TheSupernova Out there. Thataway.

[​IMG]

Well, I spent some time today working on the tabs on Swoop and Slug, and have made some improvements to the fit to the two of them. Could use some more tweaking, but getting there. Grimlock is always going to have a wonky leg ratchet, but it's not a dealbreaker.

On the whole, though, these guys do make me really happy, and I'm hoping the wait won't be too long for wave two!

• Like Like x 10
  17. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Ok nooooooow I'm done.

Finished painting the hands, feet, and hip/rib fillers.
    Bad momma right here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 9:24 PM
    • Like Like x 34
  18. NemesisJazz

NemesisJazz Well-Known Member

The fillers look amazing in gray! What color did you use? Amazing work man, now go get prime!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

Instagram:
    Screamer looks like he's doing a handstand.
    DSC09401.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  20. oneyouknowleast

oneyouknowleast Member

I think that blows away the PE kit! Great job ... might need to copy you. What paint did you use?