Power Of The Primes Blackwing

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Autobot Daniel, Feb 19, 2018.

1. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Man, Blackwing you doof, if you weren't so shortpacked you'd be the most modded CW jet there ever was; you could easily remove his wings and replace them with G1 Thrust-style without the issues of knocking pins out of the other jets (while his bro Dreadwind can make a fairly decent Ramjet and Dirge what with the wing hinges he's got).

He looks great with his jet bro. Super Jet mode is an obvious letdown, but it wasn't the main selling point of the two anyway and it is a bit of an extra 'fun' thing to do with them.

Blackwing is totally swoosh-able. He's flying through the Danger Zone.

The 'obvious' thing to do with them is use them as replacement limbs for Grand Galvatron/Galvatronus, but as doing that is only good in pairs I'm wondering what to do with them (Grand Galvatron in my mind only needs to replace Roller by the end of the UW comic, but to be fair nobody else out there fits the proper theme of the combiner. Galvatronus, however, is Galvatronus and he takes whatever limbs he wants, so he's probably getting them along with Jazz and Moonracer ATM. It's only fitting as Galvatronus in the IDW comic had Dreadwing as a core, so why not?)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I'll allow the legs. They are remolds after all. Shared parts are to be expected. Used to be a time that Hasbro would simply repaint a toy in the colors of someone else, then they started giving repaints new heads as the different character. What they are doing now is the best they've done with remolds - although I suppose its done to save them making an entirely new toy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Well, I fixed it already Heavy/Scratch: - G1 Style sets for Dreadwind & Darkwing
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. Autobot Daniel

Autobot Daniel The Meme-Inator

IMG_4720.jpg
    Blackwing and Dreadwind make excellent limbs for Galvatronus.

• Like Like x 5
  5. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's an interesting way of using Blackwing as a leg. I can only ever make him work as an arm.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. Autobot Daniel

Dang, that’s nice!

Yeah, I’ve found that, with CW Cyclonus, Blackwing works best as a leg for how the color flows.

7. itscramtastic

itscramtastic Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Loving the various fan modes I’m seeing! Finally received my Blackwing yesterday after almost caving on the Amazon markups. Saw him on Prime day for standard price and jumped! I think I’ve had Dreadwind since January?! The wait has been horrible :D 

I definitely need a second weapon for Dreadwind, sort of annoying that Blackwing got his two but Dreadwind didn’t. They also look awesome as limbs for Galvatronus, I need one more of each..!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

I must say I want to troop build this guy! Thing is that its a lot of paint for what I would have in mind. One negative though is that his shoulders are painted and after two days are already chipping, thankfully his cockpit hasn't/wasn't chipped in package like CW Blastoff.

• Like Like x 1
  9. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

Anyone else having problems with the wings popping off?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Autobot Daniel

Hmm... I don’t think so, but I could definitely see it happening.

11. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Robot Mode: Blackwing is yet another version of the already heavily used Air Raid mold from Combiner Wars, but with extensive retooling. Also, it’s my first go at the mold, so it is a first for me. Two things I noticed about this figure directly after taking it out of the package: one, the fins on the back of his legs are bent from being in the package. And two, there are roughly a dozen different ways you can position his wings and the way they are positioned in the package is not the official one, either. The wings can slide up and down and the connector pieces that secure them to the back of the figure are ball-jointed, so again, many different ways.

Blackwing adheres to the current standard of articulation and detailing, so no complaints here. The proportions of the figure seem a bit strange at first glance due to the rather thick lower legs, but he has no trouble moving. Unlike his buddy Dreadwind, Blackwing actually comes with two guns, which rounds out his very good likeness to the original G1 Darkwing. Which just leaves the question, why didn’t Dreadwind get two guns as well?

Blackwing also comes with the usual Prime armor / combiner hand thing he can put on his arm or his chest, including the little filler gun which can be replaced by a Prime Master. Not much I can say about this gimmick that I haven’t already said elsewhere, so I’ll just copy & paste here: it looks better on his arm or left aside.

Bottom line: a very nice robot mode that captures the essence of the G1 original and makes for a great Decepticon air warrior. No complaints here.

Alternate Mode: Blackwing transforms into a fighter jet somewhat reminiscent of the famous F-14A Tomcat. He’s got the swiveling wings, the double tail fins and engines, but the coloring is all Decepticon. Sadly there is no landing gear, but a very nice jet mode otherwise. The guns go under the wings (and again, why didn’t Dreadwind get two of those as well to make for a far more balanced look in jet mode?) and if you really want to, you can put the Prime Armor / combiner fist on top. It completely ruins the aerodynamics and doesn’t really do anything positive for the look, but it can be done. So bottom line, a cool jet mode. No complaints except for the lack of a landing gear.

Combiner Mode: Blackwing is actually a multiple combiner. For one thing he can become an arm or a leg for any Combiner Wars style combiner. Hardly surprising given the origins of the mold. He can also, though, combine with his buddy Dreadwind into a super jet (called DreadwinG in G1). Basically Blackwing flips back the jet cockpit, while Dreadwind folds back his wings, and the two then interlock. Much like in robot mode there are multiple different ways you can position Blackwing’s wings here, making for quite a few variations in look. Overall I really like that they retained the combined jet mode for these two figures, despite the fact that it doesn’t really look all that aerodynamic and you kind of see Blackwing’s head on top. Still, I like it, more for the nostalgia value than anything else.

Remarks: Blackwing, or Darkwing as he was originally known, is the hetero life-mate of fellow Decepticon Powermaster Dreadwind. Both are basically manic-depressives, but while Dreadwind is more introvert about it, Darkwing projects it outward, looking to make everyone at least as miserable as he is. They never appeared in the G1 cartoon, but had numerous appearances in the Marvel comics, where they mostly worked as free agents rather than following the commands of whoever was the Decepticon leader at the time. Their Japanese versions, Hydra and Buster, had much bigger roles in Transformers: Masterforce, but were entirely different characters.

Overall I got Blackwing, just like Dreadwind, mainly for the nostalgia value, seeing as I’m a big fan of the old Decepticon Powermasters, and also because I didn’t have any versions of the molds yet. Not sure how interesting they will be to people who already own Sky Dive and Air Raid (or any of their various reuses), but the combined jet mode does offer something unique here, at least. Overall, a good Deluxe-class figure, a good homage, and a nice-looking Decepticon air warrior. Recommended.

Rating: B+

Source: Transformers-Universe.com

• Like Like x 3
  12. Optimum Supreme

Optimum Supreme Go boom!

Finally got a slightly beatup packaging Blackwing in at Walmart. they had ONE of these, and a Jazz that looked like it had been repackaged and returned (probably someone wanting a non-MAGA one and acting like a b-hole to get it without buying a 2nd one) and no other deluxes at all in this line. thanks for the great distribution hasblow! Only took until mid october to get a fig that should have been out last spring! Only thing worse is the muddy too dark instructions... Man, I don't live on the surface of the sun, how'm I supposed to make this crap out? Dreadwing instructions don't even tell how to convert Dreadwind, just Blackwing... Grrrr....

• Like Like x 1