Heavy/Scratch: Power Master Optimus (G1) Complete Rebuild

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Azurial, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Azurial

Azurial Well-Known Member

Hey guys! I have started work on a brand new rebuild of one of the more iconic toys in my possession. Recently my wife bought a (very much incomplete) Power Master Prime to add to my colletion. It's missing all of the accessories like the Apex armor (which I think was included in the reissue), Hi-Q power master, the rear cover/center base mod ramp, and all of the guns. Luckily he still had a head.

I digress though. Having received said optimus I went through a few different feelings. Like I felt it could be improved upon (like my G1 Devy) so I sought after another trailer which didn't have to be in bad shape, or even in any good shape. What I found was eBay lot with 2 trailers and a PM Prime missing a leg. Still no rear cover/center Base mode ramp, but that is okay, that's what a Kossel mini, an Ultimaker and a Prusa I3 (pending final build) are all for!

Ooops! Cat's outta the bag now, huh? With that being said, I started taking meticulous measurements using two Calipers - a digital and a plain jane regular one to verify measurements across the board. After that I started working on the Cab design. Just a forewarning though, the cab is the only thing about this project that is getting a complete remake, whereas the trailer is going to get a slight overhaul. I still have a ton of stuff to do with the model, like design the forearms, shins, knees, elbows, hands and feet, but what comes next should prove to be a lot of fun. I plan on keeping the Prime my wife bought for me intact but the other two trailers are fair game - you know, sentimentality...

Without further introduction I present stage 1. pmreplace.jpg pmreplace2.jpg The overall design still isn't final - there are a few test prints that need to be done. At present I have printed 1 cab (which turned out not to work out) and caused me to start over with a new shape more akin to a more recent Prime or a slightly more current truck. As of this moment I have to design a head as well, but that will come in time with the other things I still need to do. I haven't decided if I want to put these files up on shapeways or not, but I will be printing them from home to see if they work (at the very least) or posting them on Pinshape or Thingiverse. So far this amount of modeling has taken me a good 60 hours, and I see a lot more work to do. So far it's JUST 16 parts, all using balljpoints and 1.8mm holes (accounting for PLA shrinkage) to pin with 1.75mm filament rods to be glued in place for motion and transformation.

I am also thinking about how to best go about designing the Power Master (yes, my project will include that portion, otherwise, whats the point?) and where/how to best fit it into the overall design. I don't think I want to run a spring loaded door/plate like in the original prime, so perhaps something that clips to the front end like the Titans Return leader Prime (which is awesome, but I refuse to recognize as a Powermaster)...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Azurial

First Update!

I finally had the chance to print up the cab portion of this huge ambitious project. Since my last post I've started to lean toward the headmaster route, so i've started designing a plate that will go on top of the cab that will add detail (lights and overhang and horns) that will also allow the head for God mode to connect.

Next up, is to work out a definitive version of the arm that allows for function the movement I want, work out the legs and everything else. I'm also going to be working on a new back plate/ramp for the basemode and possibly creating weapons, but that's still up in the air.

IMG_0108[1].JPG IMG_0109[1].JPG IMG_0110[1].JPG IMG_0111[1].JPG IMG_0112[1].JPG IMG_0113[1].JPG IMG_0114[1].JPG IMG_0115[1].JPG IMG_0116[1].JPG

• Like Like x 2
  3. Azurial

Update time. Since my printer went down and I need to fix it, I've started to source parts from extra bots I've got laying around for the express purpose of cutting up. One such bot is an extra bayverse sideswipe that I picked up for a few cents. Here's where we are now...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I liberated the head from the busted up prime I had picked up in the aforementioned eBay lot and I'll be setting it up on a double hinged system that will hide it when in vehicle mode. More pictures on the way! Any suggestions or critiques are welcome!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Is this going to be fully articulated?

5. Azurial

That's the idea. I still need to figure out the arms and proportions. I'm also contemplating the trailer mods I want to do, which I also want to have articulated.

6. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Neat, can't wait to see the finished product

7. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :popcorn 

8. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    When you have done this mighty task, I beseech thee to bring your arcane magic arts to the TR "Titanmaster" Optimus Prime. Perhaps Thou couldst use some unused parts from the junker G1 PM Primes?

9. Azurial

Lol - I doubt I'm that good. I might be able to use parts of the trailer, maybe as some sort of amalgamated armor or something, but these things are kind of blocky as we all know. I'm not entirely sure that I'll be able to retain enough parts from breakage, cutting and sanding to apply to something pre-built, but I can see what I have laying around when I've finished. As it stands now I've hit a snag on arm design, so I'll be going back to the drawing board and rummaging through what I have available to me to see what I can do about that - but for the moment I'mm be turning my attention to the trailer. I've got a few ideas I want to use, like turning that sideswipe shell into a shield, using the articulated arms that hide under each segment of the hood for something and probably using a bayverse leader Megatron in some fasion for the legs... All ideas to explore. I'll be back later on with some progress after working out some of these ideas. It might mean a trip to the hardware store for stuff, and maybe a trip to Micheals for some polymer clay... Guess we'll have to wait and see!

10. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    I applaud your keen desire to cut up and mangle Bayverse monstrosities, treating them like oh so much KO/Gobot fodder for the true, G1 bots.

May your blade cut righteously through their unclean metal.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Azurial

I think it's less about desire and more about unadulterated madness lol. But thank you for the encouraging words! I will do my best to not disappoint!

With that said I think it's time for pictures. I did a lot of cutting and removing of parts on the trailer last night. I removed the hip joints, cut away the plastic under them to form something of a crude mounting point for the leader class Megatron legs. I was iffy about using these legs to start with but they complement the upper body really well I think. The last shot in this batch is intended to merely show scale. Things I still have to do here are arms for both modes, work out the base mode which I think is going to look nice IF I can do it right, get wheels on the trailer, install the panels somehow, possibly add some sort of shell to hide the legs better, and a whole host of things that I can't even fathom as of yet. Honestly I feel like I bit off more than I could chew lol.

IMG_0134.JPG IMG_0135.JPG IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0137.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0138.JPG

12. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Looking forward to future updates. PM Prime is one of my favorites, it's always been my desire to see him properly articulated and into the original design intent which was Powermaster, Headmaster, and Targetmaster.

13. Azurial

I've got a little progress to report. The trailer is going to be a hard sell for me, but I think it'll work out. I'm starting to rethink the megatron arms as they are too wide and there's a level of kibble that's just unavoidable in this mod I think. I'm not entirely happy with it.

I ended up using the hood hinges from the bayverse Sideswipe to attach the trailer panels, and I think I can get the base mode to work too, which is super important I think, in being a power master prime.

IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0145.JPG IMG_0144.JPG

14. Chefprime

Chefprime Radicon

Wow. This is looking great. Cant wait to see what you do. I have a g1 powermaste op in the works aswell.

15. Azurial

Thanks! I'm sorry I havent posted any updates in a while, i've been busy with life and starting a new at home business (hopefully it'll come together) using my 3D Printer. My first offering is a bunch of upgrades to the old school Kenner Real Ghostbusters stuff, which you can find my thread about that on GBFans (Collectibles - Ghostbusters Fans). I'm currently trying to gain enough cash to make a living wage while keeping modest prices on the stuff I create. I'd love to get these items into the hands of another toy reviewer, but we'll see.

At any rate, my personal projects are on hold for the next month at least and I'll have a Prime update when I get a bit of free time to work on him. More posts to come soon! Look for something in mid-November to early December.

16. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

LOVE IT!!!
    I am watching how you do the inner bot using sideswipe, as I am looking to update my OC Finaldrive...
    If you release any of you custom made parts, please let me know, I'd be interested :) 

17. Azurial

well guys, it's been a while, but I've got news for those interested. I've had to go back to the drawing board (litterally) and start this project from scratch. I've started by redesigning the cab and transformation and it'll end up getting close to the original toy with a few key differences. The Power Master (not yet designed) will mount to the bottom of the cab in god mode to close the gap between the bot and trailer, then attach (I'm thinking) to the legs in truck mode. The arms will also double as the smoke stacks and I will either scratch or print a 5mm set of stacks to fit into the port in the forearm. This means that the hands will also be modular, which gives me some ideas to play with in regard to how/where they will mount/hide in truck mode (maybe on the Power Master). At this point I'm working out where/how to place the legs without completely redesigning the cab again, but I'm thinking modular legs to cip in somewhere when transforming to give them more clearance against the arms. This of course gives me the option to leave them attached in God mode or turn them into the weapons for it. There are a few things to consider right now, and any feedback you have or features you'd like to see, feel free to leave them here!

So here's a picture to whet your appetite untill my next post!

pmprimerev1.png

• Like Like x 1
  18. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks great! Cant wait to see the final product

19. Azurial

Thanks FortMax. I'm having a lot of fun and since starting this project I've also perfected how to calculate tolerances. not entirely sure that everything will move properly when I do the test prints but that'll be fun to find out.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Azurial

IMG_1049.JPG IMG_1050.JPG After some time and lack of motivation, I've finally got back to work on this monster. I've started the one part at a time approach with a (quite literal) top down approach. That being said here's the test print for the new Godmode head. I'll be doing at least one more print with a set of wings, but wanted to go with a more WFC look with this one.

• Like Like x 4