Power-Linxing in WFC2

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by scorpio-prime, Aug 2, 2011.

1. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Yep, another new idea thread, and of all I've come up with so far this one has the LEAST chance of happening, but wouldn't it be fun if Optimus could combine with certain other Autobots, like in the Unicron Trilogy?

To initiate a Powerlinx, all OP need do is use his War Cry within the radius of a compatible ally (I'll suggest Leobreaker, Jetfire and Ultra Magnus), and they can agree by activating their R2 ability (it must be fully charged) at the same time. This will lead to a brief transformation sequence after OP leaps into the air for the War Cry:

'Optimus Prime!'

'Jetfire!'

(Together) 'POWERLINX!'

(Combination finishes)

'SONIC WING MODE!'

In said mode, OP wears a Jetfire as a jetpack,complete with fully spread wings and large cannons extending under his arms formed from Jetfires legs, and controls the same way as a jet, only this time possessing both a Nucleon Shock Cannon and Ion Displacer.

'SAVAGE CLAW MODE!'

Leobreaker becomes a suit of armour for Optimus' torso, with elongated arms ending in massive claws. In this mode, OPs handles as though he has P.O.K.E equipped, possessing vastly increased speed, and the sword swipes are replaced with alternating claw slashes (which leave a glowing trail in their wake).

'OPTIMUS MAGNUS!'

This is the daddy - OP becomes a red and blue giant, wielding Magnus' hammer in one hand, and his own axe in the other. Pressing L1 causes him to smash the hammer into the floor, creating a blast of electricity which damages enemies all around him, and R1 brings the axe down in a broad arc, sending out a slash wave which cuts straight through enemies in front. The REAL power is in his melee however, where he strikes with both weapons at once in an X shaped swing, which will destroy even Titans and Brutes (their shields shatter from the impact) in a single mighty hit.

Yes they probably are overpowered, but then they are very expensive and situational to activate, and I wouldn't expect them to be available for Multiplayer. Powerlinxing wasn't to every fans taste, but in my mind the concept embodies the Autobot ideal of teamwork in a very literal sense, and would be great for bringing a real WOW factor into the game along with Gestalts and Triple Changers.

2. Sigma Prime

Sigma Prime Heavy Iron

That will almost never happen...but it sounds like a heck load of fun. XD

3. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    One way it could be accomplished is that in Multiplayer, the combinee could operate a little drone helper that flies around beside it or alternate weapon systems on the combined form. And when someone kills a combined dude/gets an assist; they get double points.

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    That would be awesome. Powerlinx needs to be brought back.

5. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

how about combiners in multiplayer?
    you could play as a constructicon/arielbot/etc and the objective would be to reach a certain point to combine then either fight the other combiner or kill the individuals if they havn't combined yet

6. scorpio-prime

If it was put in Multiplayer, I'd perhaps make it something like a 12 Killstreak reward (rather like how I would for Gestalts), and rather than combining with another player I'd simplify it by having an NPC drone phase in and Powerlinx with you (Multiplayer is full of duplicates anyway). The Powerlinx form you get would depend on whos chassis you were playing as - if you're playing either Optimus or Magnus then you always transform into Optimus Magnus, Leobreaker becomes Savage Claw, Jetfire becomes Sonic Wing.

Something I should have mentioned for who actually controls the Powerlinxed character in Scenario and Escalation modes, it simply alternates each time its used - the Optimus player is in control the first time, then his partner controls it the second time etc.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    But nobody would want to be the drone.

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just wonder how both players will play together. Playing a game one second and not the next would piss me off so much that I wouldn't want to do it again. If this happened in a single player story mode format, I wouldn't be bothered by this, but I most certainly would in online multiplayer:( 

9. ArtistOfWar59

ArtistOfWar59 Stunticon

Eh, I never liked the idea of the Leader of the autobots combining with another robot, or upgrading all of the time to make him stronger.

I think I'll pass on this idea.

10. scorpio-prime

I think its an awesome idea, which suited Optimus down to the ground - the ability to link with his friends and unite their powers into one awesome form is as I previously mentioned, a very literal interpretation of team work and success through united effort, which suits the Autobot leader down to the ground, just as RID Megatrons 6-10 changing is the ultimate representation of selfish Decepticon arrogance.

11. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Truck and Monkey? Whut?

Attached Files:

12. scorpio-prime

And Optimus is thinking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PwOnov7yvY[/url]

13. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Getting it to work over latency would be a pain connecting and disengaging on the go.
    2. Making it fun for both parties would be hard. No one wants to ride in bitch seat.
    3. We don't need any more super pants modes.

14. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. One, because Powerlinxing generally made a character feel more like an accessory than a character. It just belittles the point of having so many unique and interesting characters when they are just gunna become part of another character. I'd take two characters over one more powerful character any day.

Two, no one is going to want to give up control to another character just to enhance THEIR abilities. If the control was co-op, it would just mean that one character would operate like, a weapons system or something.

Three, uncombining. If both parties needed to agree to uncombining, then one guy would never have to give up his upgrade, even if the other wanted out. If only one person needs to click a button to uncombine, there would be LOADS of trolling potential. I could see tons of people combining with someone else, the other person going into a big battle with their enhanced firepower, only for the jet to uncombine and fly away, leaving the other to die.

15. Bumblebee028

Bumblebee028 Technobot Prime

News Credits:
    Kill streaks man. It's all in the kill streaks. That's how I would go about combination

But for the campaign, you can combine with your other 2 players whenever you get enough energon

BB28

16. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

Forget about having players combine with each other, no one wants to be taken out of the action so one can get stronger. I single player you could choose who your partners are for each mission, and if the characters are compatible you could combine them. You could also get AI teammates in escaslation and do the same. It would be balanced because you get a power boost, but you lose teammates.

17. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This entire concept is just a stupid idea. This is of course my opinion. Yours may vary.

18. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I could only see tis working well in single player campaign or escalation and proper combiner teams instead, if it were multiplayer there should be a time out feature like you can only remain combined for X minutes until energon levels are low, from there if you combine again someone else gains control over the gestalt whilst another controls a holographic avatar of their character to draw out the enemy with standard weaponry at 1/2 power.

19. scorpio-prime

I regularly encounter occasions online where two players are talking back and forth to one another in friendly fashion, who could easily make good use of Powerlinxing. The 30 second duration of the feature (which as I previously mentioned, alternates which player controls it each time its used, meaning both combinees get a go) really isn't much time to wait, and as I also previously mentioned, you don't HAVE to agree to combine when Optimus War Crys.

20. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    unless the drone was like an alt mode, but with no transforming made up for with a weapon combofrom both of the bots in the combination