Power Core Combiners: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BenjaminXavier, Mar 31, 2011.

1. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw that the PCC sets on sale for $10 again at Target and I'm tempted to pick up a couple of sets to mess around with. I got the Huffer pack and think the alt head is really neat (though, not for an Autobot, might pop it on a custom/repaint later) and for the price of the 5 packs I figured I'd might make the plunge.

Now, I'm pretty much a "G1 inspired (classics style)" collector with a handful of secondary movie toys that fit the G1 aesthetic. So I wanna hear other people's opinions on them. I was looking at getting the aerialbots and the combaticons, as those seem to have the neatest molds (aside from the dinobots/constructicons which haven't really made it to widespread retail yet).

So, thoughts on the line from other adults?

2. G1 Milo

G1 Milo Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My son got me one as a birthday present -- Crankcase. I was really not impressed, but I've never been a fan of Transformers that don't actually transform. It didn't seem like it fit together any better than the old G1 combiners, either, so I'm not sure why they didn't just continue in the Scramble City mold.

3. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Nay. These all bring a bad name to combiners. Horrible figures imo.

4. knockoff

knockoff Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yay - for the individual bots that make up the body. they can be used creatively for customs.

nay - the other limbs that don't do anything. retrraddeed.

5. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

i'm more interested in them for kitbash fodder more than anything. other than that the 5 pack combiner is ugly.

6. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    nay. just nay.

7. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

For $10 it isn't a bad deal at all.

8. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I love them! I mean, yeah, it sucks that the limbs don't actually transform into bots, but other than that, I think they are cool. I mean even if they did transform on their own I would most likely keep them in combiner mode, so it doesnt make much difference, I guess. I have two sets of each PCC, one to open and display and a second set to keep sealed. I didn't plan it this way, but with sales and deals I ended up with doubles. I could use another Over-Run/Spastic, I only ordered one because he was regular price from HTS, but if they restock I'll probably order another one. ;) 

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

They're pretty fun. Not my favorite gimmick, but I really like the scout bots and minicon partners. They're also a pretty good source for custom parts.

10. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love 'em. I have 'em all. I wish they'd continue the line, but... y'know...

Unfortunately, this was a test to see if the market could support combiners, and it looks like it failed.

11. The Crow

The Crow ARK BUILDER!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I second this notion!! Their just bad!

12. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say yay. They're pretty fun to play with, and although the limbs don't have robot modes, for what they are (something easy for kids to play with) they're pretty good. I personally love the Smolder mold. :D 

13. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Heavy Tread Rules. Everything locks on him and all of the joints are tight hinges and swivels like my favorite revenge of the fallen voyager: Mindwipe.

Yeah I collected all the power Core Combiners. Some of the commanders have been better than others though they all have been really interesting to mess around with to find the second head, and the torso mode.

Drones Are the sore spot in the line, or rather the pegs that connect them.
    Still even if it was flawed. I'm glad Hasbro tried Spring loaded dramatic combination even if it was'nt perfect. I still found enough to like with it.

Looks like this is the end for power Core. At least there was a cap. Completists and fans of power core got what they were waiting for with sets like the dinobots and constructicons.
    And those who hate power core will soon just have dark of the moon toys to deal with, like the human alliance scouts.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  14. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I'm torn. I was loving them at first, but after trying to set up a PCC shelf and having so many issues with limbs popping off and balance problems they have lost some of their luster. I do love most of the scouts and minicons are always aces in my book, but there are definitely some rough spots in the line...

15. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nay if you're just looking for the G1 design style. Only Heavytread could possibly fit in with Classics.

But I have to say there are some good toys in the line. The Combaticons are ok, and everything from the last wave is cool too. Stay far away from the Aerialbots and Rallybots.

16. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    I don't like the "drone" limbs, but I do like some of the body figures. (Only when the blue limb connectors are hidden well. Those practically ruin Undertow.)

17. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

why are the connectors bright blue,anyway?they'd be great if they were just plain black. I have Crankcase and Bombshock,they look ok displayed with Legends,and their aesthetic doesn't quite fit 'neo-G1'.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've been wondering why they went with such a horrible shade of blue as well. It seems like black plastic would have blended in better with the colors used on most of the figures or perhaps different colored pegs for the different bots.

Kind of fun to play around with but it's so hard to make them stand and with all the other problems I wouldn't call them something to collect.

19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    They are great. Visit the PCC appreciation thread for more feedback on their greatness, and a good deal of pictures.

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    The idea for the PCC is sound but the execution is rather poor , the last few sets have been better but other than that they have been most fail as combiners.

my suggestions for improving them:

1. lose the automorph on the limbs, the transformations are easy enough for even young kids.

2. implement real hands and feet for the combiner limbs.