Power Core Combiners Searchlight w/ Backwind

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Veloxiraptor, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Couldn't find a dedicated thread for this guy, so here we go.

Searchlight is my favorite of the PCC 2-packs. I don't feel like he has any bad modes. He has kind of an unusual transformation into vehicle mode that holds together VERY tightly. His robot mode is decent enough except for his bizarre facesculpt, which looks like a cackling old man. And his torso mode is...well, actually probably the best of the five available. I love the helicopter rotors winding up at the shoulders, and he actually makes the Aerialbot drones look halfway credible...two of them anyway. When a better selection of drones arrives he'll probably be ace.

Backwind, meanwhile.....May as well call him Breakwind, because he STINKS. He doesn't have a single good altmode; the body armor mode is passable at the absolute best, and I think it only looks "right" when Searchlight is powered up. I really don't understand why they couldn't have worked a couple of pegs into these critters.

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I like Search light quite a bit...I rank it #2 of the first three 2-packs. I really like the robot mode...the rotors an the arms look awesome! And having good articuation helps boost up some points in my book too. Helicopter mode is pretty cool...nothing spectacuar about it but not necesarily bad either. Pretty cool transformation scheme, much more involved than Smolder and especially Huffer.

Backwind..yeah, total crap. I think the robot mode looks pretty cool, but there's really no alt mode for it, and all the different official 'modes' are pretty well garbage.

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Backwind? Really??

Also, c'mon guys... :useless 

4. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    I love Backwind. He is alright attached to the helicopter, and he has lots off cool details like the extra sculpting of the elbows that make them look continuous even if they are bent a little bit (30 degrees or less). Face sculpt is fun.

He makes a crappy gun. oh well, he makes an awesome sidekick, and does well in vehicle mode. Ace in my book.

Probably my favorite of the initial offerings.

5. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I like Backwind when he's rescue equipment on the alt mode, and he makes a nice thing to attach to a torso's back to flip out the gun arm from behind. his gun mode is a JOKE. His chest mode is not bad. Pegs would've really helped.

Did they forget to paint Searchlight's jaw?

Either way, definitely a great figure, and i love his torso mode. With his Ani Ultra Magnus head, lol...

6. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I actually really like Backwind's robot mode, he's probably my favorite of the Mini-Con partners.

I'm loving the PCC 2-packs so far, I don't think I've ever found a legitimate reason to hate any of them. Well worth the money.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Searchlight is my least favorite of the 3.. Still worth a buy, but Huffer and Scorch are pure win..

8. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    i just made a four legged PCC with Chopster as a head, and I think Backwind would make a great head too - his searchlight knees as insectoid eyes, and his long weird arms as those mouthy things on bugs...

9. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Out of the 3 2-packs he was the one for some reason I had been liking the most just before they came out. His altmode is excellent and robot mode is good. The minicon could have been better but hes cool nonetheless. I find for solo-armor instead of the instructions where the arms are straight in line with the minicon chest I fold them in and it looks ALOT better.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Picked this guy up alongside Seaspray the other night.

Wasn't my first choice of PCC 2-packs but it was the only one they had at TRU (was hoping for Smolder), but you know what? I actually really kinda like him.

His vehicle mode is a pretty decent little chopper (the coming repaint looks very nice as well), holds together well, both rotors spin fine and it's all a nice neat little package.

Transformation (both to and from robot mode) is actually pretty neat for a scout sized figure, it's defnitely interesting enough to be fun to do over and over.

Robot mode looks cool, I dig the rotor blades on his arms, head sculpt is a little weird, and having the split cockpit for an ass is kinda meh looking, but he poses well, looks cool.

Backwind isn't tooooo bad. His vehicle attachment is alright, makes sense for the alt mode at least. His robot gun mode, well the default look kinda sucks, but a few adjustments and its passable. I actually dig his armor mode though.

So yeah, definitely worth giving a look if you're interested in the line at all. Makes me more excited for Smolder too.

11. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Searchlight is the first PCC I've picked up. It's actually a pretty decent toy overall, but backwind isn't that great. Even for a minicon, I feel it could have been executed much better.

I didn't expect to pick up any of the PCC, but i have to say Searchlight is a decent addition to my collection. I doubt I pick up any others from the first wave, but I am more opptimstic about the line than before.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i can't believe that there are already pics of a repaint before pics are in Searchlight's own Feedback thread!

wow.
    i may get the repaint- when i see better pics of the color scheme.

but i am still waiting for my Pile o' Loot to ship- next month.

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah, I really dig the look of the coming repaint (think its a 'con, yeah?)

Glad to see it comes with a different minicon as well. Opens up some nice options.

14. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Searchlight is easily my favorite Autobot PCC. I love the color scheme and the arm blades. His two head sculpts are also great.

Backwind is also awesome. He's like a little clear green gorilla robot with a gun for an arm. Love it, although his weapon mode is a little wonky.

15. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    You can fiddle his robot weapon mode around a bit into something fairly decent (mostly just needs you to change how you position his leg with the hand peg). Vehicle mode leaves open several options (especially since there are technically two places you can peg him to in vehicle mode).

And anyone else get an Animated Ultra Magnus vibe from his combined head sculpt?

16. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    While I agree that Backwind's gun mode is crappy (Pretty much a brick with a gun barrel on it), his other modes are great. His vehicle attachment mode makes for a nice little search and rescue drone and his armor mode is really nice too. His bot mode is the best of the two I have, the other being Caliburst.

Besides his weapon mode I don't get the hate.

17. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Thoughts (from Phil's Review Page)

Backwind

Backwind is packed with and is the partner for the Power Core Commander Searchlight.

Searchlight is a clear green Minicon robot. The only other colour plastic used is some black for the legs and a frame running through the body. There's a couple of paint applications in this mode - yellow circles on each knee and a silver face plate. His most prominent feature is his arms - they're very long with the elbows at waist level and the hands - hook shaped - at floor level. He almost looks more simian that human in proportion. His right forearm has a six barrelled gattling gun moulded into the top of it. Articulation is good: ball jointed knees, hips & shoulders and bending elbows. His Minicon port is at the centre of his chest, but it's a screw hole so unlike every other Minicon he's missing the post down the middle that will trigger gimmicks.

His vehicle attachment mode is designed to work specifically with Searchlight. Point his right arm - the one with the gun - down and the left arm up, then fold it up at the elbow. Fold the upper legs up behind the lower legs. Pin the Minicon under the helicopter's nose. This gives Searchlight some added search & rescue equipment. The yellow circles on Backwind's knees become bright searchlights, with the left arm serving as a hooked winch while the right arm serves as extra weaponry.

Backwind's weapon mode is somewhat less successful. From robot mode fold the right gun arm up above the head. Fold the right leg back so it covers the lower leg then turn so the right knee cap is in the right arm pit. Swing the left leg round at the knee so the back of the left leg is up against the bottom of the right foot. Fold the left arm down so it runs along the left upper leg. What you get is a gun, but only in the sense it's got a barrel. The rear of the weapon is a square block formed from the body parts but it doesn't hold together well. It's held by a Minicon post on the side of the robot's left foot.

I'll stick with Chopster's axe mode.

Finally we have Backwind's armour mode. Fold each arm up and out to the sides. Fold then lower arms in to cover the upper arms. Rotate the lower legs out to the sides 90 degrees at the knee and fold up over the upper leg. Swing the legs up so they're alongside the chest with the knees under the armpits. With a large chest piece this helps to make Backwind a decent sized bit of armour. The arms which stick out to the sides can be folded back if they get in the way of the robot.

If you remove the armour mode with the arms bent back, open the arms up at the elbow and bend the legs back to get a bonus beast mode - Backwind can become a frog !

Overall: Weapons mode is a bit rubbish. But otherwise he's a pretty decent Minicon.

Power Core Combiner Searchlight

The original Transformers Searchlight was a white car (with a blue robot head) that was part of 1987's Throttlebot team (and one of the few members of the team that didn't map to an original Mini Autobot by virtue of similarity of design or colour: Goldbug = Bumblebee, Rollbar = Brawn, Wideload = Huffer and Freeway = Gears. Chase is either Cliffjumper or Windcharger leaving whichever one is left over as Searchlight).

The *New* Power Core Searchlight is a search & rescue helicopter, dual propeller with one mounted above the cockpit and the other on the tail like the old GI Joe Tomahawk. I want a Tomahawk. The design for Searchlight is a little odd in that his rotors don't have the same number of blades: four on the front one and three on the rear, both as shown on the packet. However the rotors are in theory removable so there's nothing to stop you buying two Searchlights and pairing the rotors between the toys. I say "in theory removable" because I've never seen a peg quite as snug as the ones used here ! It's a 5mm peg & hole so in theory the rotors should be holdable as hand held weapons. The rotors rotate on their post which is good for their main purpose and adds something if you do decide to use them as weapons. Most of the helicopter is a very pale grey but there's flashes of dark blue everywhere so in many ways he's a nod to his namesake colourwise. All four of his bright blue Power Core connectors are visible in this mode but they all point backwards so it doesn't take much imagination to see these as high powered Cybertron engines boosting Searchlight's flight speed.

Searchlight comes with his own Minicon, Backwind, who is reviewed separately. In his vehicle attachment mode Backwing attaches to a Minicon port under Searchlight's nose giving him a pair of high powered searchlights, a rescue hook and a gattling gun. Searchlight's robot mode chest Minicon port is a small distance further back and you can fold that down to attach Backwind there as well. The disadvantage of plugging Backwind in is that Searchlight won't sit flat with him attached. However if you dig out a Seacon weapons stand, Seachlight's chest Minicon peg can fold down and sit in the top of the stand letting you display Searchlight in flight with his Minicon attached. He can of course use any other Minicon in this mode: Chopster, for example, gives him a nice weapons array pointing forward.

Transformation: Remove the Minicon. Fold the cockpit out to the sides leaving the rotor in the middle. Fold the tail slightly to the sides, again leaving the rotor mechanism in the middle. Looking from the front fold the tail rotor and assembly out to your right from the middle of the jet. Similarly the front rotor & assembly folds out to your left. Fold the tail halves down under the helicopter to form the legs and fold the feet out. Stand and have the underside face towards you. Swing the sides of the jet round 180 degrees so the Power Core blocks are pointing straight up and the cockpit halves are behind the hips. Fold the arms - formed from the spine of the helicopter and the rotor assemblies - down to the sides. His right arm comes from the front of the helicopter while the left arm comes from the back.

There's some stuff I don't like straight away: The arms aren't anchored to the body: the ball joints are on hinged panels that are maybe 5mm from the sides of the body and attached to panels that are linked to the side panels from the helicopter by another hinge. The side panels of the helicopter which now form the sides of the body also don't lock into position, they can be rotated through a full 360 degrees, which we'll use later. The cockpit halves stick awkwardly out of the side of the hips. I bet many people don't like the Power Core Block on a tall post sticking out of each shoulder, but use your imagination and these turn into two giant energy cannons. This may be the intention because the non locking side panels can be used to rotate them forward so they're pointing out the top of the chest. Articulation: Bending ankles & knees, thigh swivel, universal hips, ball jointed shoulders, forward bending upper elbow and ball jointed lower elbow plus ball jointed head. His chest features the fold out Minicon peg found on the other 2-pack commanders. Backwind makes quite a good piece of chest armour and works well with him here especially if you reposition the arms on the Minicon over Searchlight's shoulder. Sadly Backwind's use as a Minicon weapon is less good here but that's all down to Backwind rather than any deficiency with Searchlight who has 5mm peg holes in his hands for holding standard size weapon handles. The rotor blades from the helicopter mode have ended on the outside of each wrist so they can be used as spinning blade weapons there.

Searchlight can also be used as the core robot at the centre of a Power Core Combiner. Fold his chest forward, fold the flaps out to the sides of the chest and turn Searchlight's head down into the chest exposing the combined robot head. Fold the arms back at the upper elbow joint so they're pointing backwards - this might have worked better if the lower elbow joint could be folded back instead. Fold the power core block mounted posts down to the sides. Spread the legs out and fold the legs in 90 degrees at the thigh swivel. Fold the lower leg back at the knee so that it covers the upper leg, the back of the foot rests against the smaller robot's thigh and the Power Core blocks on the smaller robot's knees point down.

Searchlight's robot core mode is surprisingly solid. It's got some decent articulation with the shoulder Power Core blocks turning as well as raising at the body. The new, larger head is ball jointed, the hips turn, the knees bend and the Power Core blocks bellow the knees turn. The blocks are easier to get limbs onto than several of the other toys where the blocks seem to want to shuffle out the way every time you go near them with a limb drone! Searchlight works better with the Aerialbot limbs than their own commander Skyburst does.

Overall: Decent Vehicle mode that works well with the Minicon, robot mode has some difficulties but nothing major. Combined mode surprisingly good.

18. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Does any one else's Backwind mini-con make their Searchlight power up peg droop?

Huffer and Smolder's work fine, but his is a little floppy.

19. fraenhawk

fraenhawk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, the jokes that this comment invites...

But on a serious note mine didn't have this problem.

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    mine sorta has that issue