Customs: power core combiner limb joints??

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Megatron31, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    do you guys think they could support some thing the size of a deluxe figure? or do you think something more tightly hinged needs to be used??

this would be for a shoulder joint

im working on hook for my devastator and i want to integrate the joints if possible. i think it will be pretty easy to hide the joints under the vehilce cab and the crane cab (going for a g1 design) so when the waist part spits and swivels the front cab would contain the right shoulder and the crane cab would contain the left.

the pcc joints are cery compact and seem pretty tough cut i am curious of they can hold that kind of weight or not before i go hacking one up

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm certain the plugs would be sturdy enough to hold a Deluxe class limb in place; your only potential issue would be if you intend to actually hinge the plugs at all (most PCCs have the plugs mounted on pin hinges so they can fold in and bend); if you want to hinge them at all you might want to find something stronger for that part.

Also you'd need to find decent sockets to fit into the bots you use as limbs, as unlike Energon combiners etc, PCC limbs don't have easily removeable sockets; they're integrated completely into the body. Plus some of the sockets aren't entirely reliable; some of the drones clip onto the plugs nice and tightly, but others fall off if you look at them funny, so if you used them you'd need to be careful about which drones you chose to hack for sockets. I do, however, happen to have a set of nice sturdy sockets for sale in my shop, which are designed for just such a purpose. ;) 

3. Megatron31

Ebay:
    that link may come in handy ramrider.

but sadly my intentions were to use those hinges attatched to the male end of the pcc parts (the blue block) so it would have a lateral shoulder hinge. should i decide to go this route in the end i may contact you about adapting one of those ports to my specific needs (nothing overly complex, but i would need an aditional way of atticing suck a port to my scavenger. your design would be perfect for the bonecrusher i built though. hopefully i can make the pcc stuff work.

its a toss up between those joints and modifying the energon connector joints as my shoulders (i know those could support the weight of the figs i have kitbashed)

thanks man

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I've actually considered attempting to design a PCC plug as well, and still might; the issue would be how the plug itself attaches to its mount, as the official ones are attached via very sturdy flat-headed pin. I may be able to come up with a split clip that would work, though the trick would be making it sturdy enough that the plug doesn't pull or break off when you remove the socket. Of course, I could also probably just do a headed cap that can be glued into the new mount after threading it through the plug.

That said, the existing mounts are fairly small, so you may well be able to simply fuse them to a larger/stronger hinge within the torso bot. The pin hinges might even be strong enough (some bots have tighter pin connections than others), I'm just trying to think of alternatives.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. Megatron31

Ebay:
    yea it may take a few trial runs to see if it will even work but the perfect joint is from the combaticon bombshock scout mold (he was repainted into a 2 pack with a minicon but cant remember his name) the ones for the legs on him would definantly suit my needs i think but its a matter of can they support that kind of weight. i guess i will have to build hook to find out (as soon as i get scrapper's feet done i may look into it as i havent decided on what to do with scrappers arms yet either

thanks for the help

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

It's Steelshot. ;) 

7. Megatron31

Ebay:
    i just may go and pick that guy up today and start experimenting with this to see what i can do, and would you be open to a little addition to the ports you have availible in your store? i can send you pics and give measurments of what i mean, its something i had anticipated scratchbuilding but it would be a lot more rigid if it was made of one piece with what i have in mind

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, sure. Odds are I can just modify an existing port model to suit what you're after. I think it probably would be a lot simpler than constructing sockets by hand (one of the great benefits of being able to do this 3D computer modelling malarkey! ;) ).

9. Megatron31

Ebay:
    awesome, whats an email address i can send some stuff to (and this is by no means a rush) i still have to get hook going first (i have the lower body transformation wise just needs the details to make it look like hook)

you can pm it to me if you want