Power Core Combiner Crankcase with Destrons

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Giga Leo, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Giga Leo

Giga Leo I know and you know...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't see any threads started for this guy, but if there is one, mods feel free to merge this with theirs.
    I received my big fat order from HTS today and can’t believe I’ve got wave 2 and 3 Power Core Combiners in hand when my area hasn’t even begun to stock any of wave 2.
    I haven’t opened the Protectobots yet, but cracked open Crankcase and the Destrons. Here are some pics, enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Side of box:
    Crankcase didn’t start off as a bully. He started off bitter, mean and small-minded, and the strength granted by the Power Core process made him capable of taking his misery out on others. His few moments of happiness all occur when he uses his incredible might against someone unable to fight back. Then he’s right back to being miserable.

This is my first time seeing the bio, I like the implication that this is G1 Crankcase given power. Makes sense that his PCC mode would be influenced by Menasor. I like it!

Strength-7
    Intelligence-6
    Speed-6
    Endurance-9
    Rank-3
    Courage-5
    Fireblast-10
    Skill-4

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      100.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      105.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      51.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      93.4 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      41.7 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      60 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      70.5 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      59.7 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      55.5 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      29.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Giga Leo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    More pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The drones themselves feel like an improvement over their original colored releases. Overall sturdier, and not so prone to turning into slinkies when you pick them up. I also noticed that the missile tank isn’t a matte black like Crankcase and the jeep drone. It’s a very dark purple with green detailing. The connection ports don’t offer quite as much resistance when pegging on, which is a good thing, because a couple of aerialbot drones made me think they were going to snap the pegs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Crankcase himself looks great in these colors, I much prefer this color scheme over Huffer’s.

[​IMG]
    His combined form is very solid, Huffer/Crankcase remains one of the better torsos along with Bombshock. I kind of wish they had made the chopper and plane black as well, but I guess they wanted to break up the color scheme. I can’t wait to break open the Rallybots and attach some cars to this guy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      41.5 KB
      Views:
    • 0012.jpg
      0012.jpg
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      52.5 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      67.8 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      70.9 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      82.5 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      45.3 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      83.9 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      72.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Giga Leo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aaaaand the last few.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      62.4 KB
      Views:
    • 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
    • 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      51.3 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      77.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice pics! I'm thinking of picking this guy up.

So...how IS he?

5. Giga Leo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First, awesome screen name, Anguirus is one of my favorite kaiju!
    I'd say Crankcase and the Destrons are very worth getting. I just fiddled with Bombshock's drones and forgot how loose the connection ports are on the leg drones. Not the case with the Destons at all. I've just updated my second post with my impressions of the set.

And now, pics of Minisor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I notice you don't adjust the legs in combined mode to collapse Crankcase's legs as intended into thighs. Is that just personal preference?

7. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks! And glad for the review. I bought some of the 5 packs from a board member here to see if I get into the concept...if so, I'm planning to pick up Crankcase and Stakeout. They look very sweet.

8. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    Hmmm Crankcase appears to have Scourge's color scheme. nice.

I hope to find him.

Now. hurry up and find him a cool sword. XD

9. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess this is a good case of the color making the 'bot! The black and dark purple shades give him a different aura than if you just get the wave 1 PCC's and immitate this configuration.

10. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    good to hear that the jeep drone isn't as crap as the original use. Doubt I'm going to get this set as I already own the drones and was less than impressed with the combaticon ones.

11. Giga Leo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I tend to modify the combined modes a bit because I hate how squat it makes them look. It also seems to really limit the leg articulation with guys like Mudslinger and Leadfoot, so I purposely 'mistransform' them to get some better poses out of the combined forms.
    [​IMG]

I'll also change things around if it looks more interesting, like Sledge. I have no idea if I'm supposed to square out the legs a bit more, but I kept them close to the way they look in regular robot mode and posed his scoop halves to look more insectile in combined mode.
    [​IMG]

I'm having more fun with it than I thought I would. I didn't realize how much time I was taking between pictures because I found myself swapping the drones around just to see who looked best with which centerpiece.
    You may also get a kick out of Sledge's unintentional homage to Gigan :) 
    [​IMG]

Haha, I'm on the lookout! He would definitely look complete swinging one around! I wish there was an oversized ko available.

It really does, I was surprised by how different the final modes differ when I gave Huffer the same drones from the other combiners. He's a solid bot on his own.

I'd still say give him a try, if nothing else you get a much more sturdy and stable version of this set of drones. I forgot how aggravating the jeep was until I picked up Bombshock and it made a break for it.

12. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Intriguing, I haven't caught that in pics...I presume you're not referring to a penchant for self-decapitation? :lol 

13. Giga Leo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just the buzzsaw belly/chest for now, though in the heat of battle, accidents can happen :lol  I fixed my previous post so you can see what I mean, my pics vanished!

14. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Man, I need me those 5 packs, I was goign to get the 3 2-packs off HTS but I want to see the color schemes up close since it seems hard to tell what they actually look like.

Menasor loks so good, now I need a sword for robot mode Crankcase and another for Menasor.

15. NICKBOT

NICKBOT Entitlement? Piss off.

News Credits:
    Wow that looks great, what combination is that? Where are those cars from?

16. thespaniard

thespaniard Well-Known Member

It's motor master the original king of the road. They could have changed the head sculpt at least

17. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    It may be a repaint, but I'm still getting this. Love the paintjob.

18. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

I just picked up Huffer a couple of days ago, and was thinking that his face looked pretty evil in combined mode. Crankcase looks great!! Wish I hadn't picked up Huffer now and got this one instead, although that way I'd miss out on Caliburst, so I guess I should just be happy all round.

19. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Slight crosspost from the PCC-appreciation thread...

Did find Crankcase last night; looks remarkably badass in vehicle mode. To paraphrase from someone over in the cool stuff thread, don't know what it is about black trucks, but...
    Regular bot mode struck me as a little bland at first, but in-hand, I really like it with just the splash of red from his visor. That and the subtle extra colors on the drones really make the set's, appearance IMO.
    Tried a couple things with the brute mode - I know earlier in the thread, or in Huffer's review, someone posted a back-to-front torso mode (i.e. hood-chest). Unfortunately, it doesn't work real well. The shoulders wind up way out front, and I can't arrange the legs satisfactorily. Still looks good right way around though, and this iteration of the drones seem to fit better, as well.

Digging around in my big box o' minicons for a buddy - maybe this guy. Crankcase's arm peg is just off-centre enough that it doesn't look stupid in claw mode for the regular bot, and he can peg onto the spyplane arm in the correct orientation as well.

20. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    For my first hands-on experience with Power Core Combiners, I picked up Crankcase and the Destrons during Target's $10 sale, so off the bat I felt he's good, but not $20 good. Of course, when you get something at 50% off, it's easy to perceive paying more than you did as less of a value.

Crankcase himself is a very solid scout-sized figure. His articulation is good, though lacking a waist, and his transformation is simple but fun. The color scheme is nice, mostly because he looks a lot like Motormaster. Incidentally, I just knew this redeco was coming the minute I saw Huffer's combined head (though I did think he'd come with repaints of the Rallybots).

Speaking of the drones, I initially felt let down by them because I still kind of saw them as something I was "forced" to buy if I wanted to make Menasor. But as I've played around with the drones, they're growing on me. I think the Missile Carrier is a stronger arm than the Spy Plane because of the "contours" that the arm structure makes. Maybe if the plane's fingers were painted it would look like more than a slab. I like the weapons and color on the Assault Vehicle, but I think the Attack Helicopter makes a more aesthetically pleasing leg.

I'd say my first experience with Power Core Combiners has been a good one, if misguided because of the sale price. Not sure if I'd pay full price for any of the sets, especially when Deluxe TFs are actually cheaper than 2-Pack Commanders, but some of them do look nice and I would like to get my version of the PCC Stunticons eventually (I wonder if the other two Rallybots will become Decepticons as well).

Ooh, thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that out, it looks awesome. The claw mode looks both comically large and incredibly bad-ass at the same time. Not to mention it definitely makes up for the fact that 5-Pack Commanders don't get Mini-Cons. I almost wish he had two pegs as I have both Terradive and Shockwave.

I'm also looking for a suitable Mini-Con to play the part of Roller Car. The combined mode head and armor peg are too perfect. Classics Strongarm is the only black car I can think of off the top of my head, but his ports are off center on both axes. He's also blatantly branded as an Autobot. Of course, with all the black on Crankcase's body, maybe "Roller Car" should be a different color.