Power Core Combiner appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Squints, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

I've been noticing a lot of hate on the PCCs since they hit retail this week, so this thread is for those of us who love the PCCs. I've been excited about this subline ever since we first saw the bit of Huffer/Caliburst's packaging, but I was afraid that the actual figures would disappoint when I got them in hand. Not so! I tracked down a Smolder/Chopster at my local TRU last night and the Huffer/Caliburst and Skyburst/Aerialbots I ordered arrived today, and they're all amazing. The transformations are simplistic compared to what we've been getting used to lately, but they're amazingly well thought-out and manage to consistently look great in all 3 modes for the Commanders. (Skyburst in particular is basically a Cyberjet with an extra head and combination pegs.) The combination pegs, bright blue as they are, are generally unobtrusive, and when they aren't, they create a unified look to the set.

That's the other great thing about PCCs--they're all compatible with each other. Any torso works with any limbs, and all the figures that aren't Mini-Cons and even some that are Mini-Cons have at least one Mini-Con peg (even the drones!), so every set, 2-pack or 5-pack, has something that can be used with every other set on the shelves. Between that level of synergy and the impressive designs inherent in each individual figure, it's enough to convince me to try to make Power Core Combiners the first Transformers subline that I collect a complete set of.

But if you have hate, don't send it to this thread; you clearly have plenty of other more appropriate outlets for it.

(Edited for clarity)

2. fastballspecial

fastballspecial Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I bought Huffer and Smolder. They're pretty sweet and worth the money, especially since they can be used with the big boxed sets for those who plan on buying those.

3. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I won't collect them all (might get the dinobots cause I'm intrigued as to how it will work) but they're neat toys. Huffer may wind up being the only one on display, but for sheer stress relief transforming, they're fun and quick. Reminds me of g1 a bit with the Target masters and simple transformations. And the commander modes are pretty neat except for Smolder. His sucks. Hell, if they found a way to make the arms more articulate, I'd like these even more.

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Awesome thread, I applaud you sir. I have the combaticons, and they are full of awesome. Once in gestalt mode you can't see the blue tabs anymore. They are way cool, the way they automorph into legs and arms. Can't wait to get huffer and the aerialbots

5. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I've been wanting for these for a while now, and I can't find them anywhere I go. /frustration

6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    i really likem i think i might get the whole wave 1. think its a better deal than any rotf devy sets. think of it you pay 30 for ez devy and is deluxe size or you get a pcc for 20 who is about ultra sized. than add another 10 to set another sweet torso and a mini con. or compare it to the 100 dollar devy who can't do crap.

7. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

My local TRU only had the Commander/Minicon sets when I went, so I snagged all three. And y'know, I dig! I've been looking forward to these guys, and I'm not disappointed.

The folks who have said this like hearkens back to the UT are right, and it's not a bad thing in this case. While the Commander basics aren't as technical as the ROTF scout line (which has been almost universally excellent in and of itself), they're quick to transform, reasonably posable, and have tons of options - in short, they're fiddle-fodder and excellent toys.

Probably my only serious criticism at this point is the minicons. They look neat, most of their modes are fairly apparent...but my main beef is that, for all those modes, not one tabs, clicks, or locks together in any way. Backwind's probably the worst offender here, in terms of flopping around.

8. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    I don't own any of them but some of them are appealing to me

9. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I've got the Skyburst/Aerialbots set and I think it's cool.I plan on getting Searchlight and putting the Aerialbots on him because I think it looks better.I'm also getting Bombshock next week.

10. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the scout/deluxe sized ones with their minicons are pretty fun. Not a fan of the combo packs though (only have Arielbots so far), but hopefully the rest of the single-packed commanders are as nice as the 3 I have.

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Haven't bought them yet (got them pre-ordered at HTS, waiting for their stuff to stock), but I've been excited about Smolder since the first leaked pictures were on the net, and I was also eager to see Huffer (who for some reason didn't show up till much later), but he didn't disappoint either. Bombshock and Leadfoot also look really cool. I'm excited to get them, at the very least!

12. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't get over the engineering in the scouts. Three modes, articulate, and they come with a minicon with three modes as well. There is just so much going on for such small figures. The transformations are quick, fun, and easy as cake, and they still look great. I thought I was going to dislike these guys, but they're just so much fun to fiddle with I can't put them down. The drones and the fact that the minicons don't tab in for there different modes are my only true complaint.

Also, they have some of the best head sculpts yet.

13. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I picked mine (first 5 sets) up at TRU yesterday with the buy one get one half off sale, and I love them. I have a few minor quibbles, all with the 5 packs, but the 2 packs are glorious... I can't wait to own the rest.

My quibbles:
    Bombshock is TINY compared to the others.
    The drones don't always transform properly (the fighter jet wings and tailfins, for example)
    The stability of the combined modes has much to be desired...

Oh, and did anyone else have silver paint missing from Searchlight's face? The production picture on the box has it all painted, but mine is missing paint on the mouth...

Other than that, bring 'em on!

14. The_Cube

The_Cube Active Member

Bought Smolder, that guy is a badass. His regular head looks like its wearing a samurai/fireman helmet which is frankly, double the awesome. Also, the gestalt head can be used as just an alternate head for the robot itself giving Smolder a sort of battle-mask mode.

I dont find the 5 packs appealing now though. Bombshock would've been neat as a little homage to G1 Bombshock since I have that toy but he does seem rather tiny and disappointing.

15. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Man, you gotta move them shoulders DOWN!

[​IMG]

16. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I wish I could buy just some drones, but I'm probably going to grab either/both 5-packs soon.

I only have Smolder, who is made of awesome, and my roommate has the Combaticons. Smolder just looks AWESOME plugged into these guys :D . If I had one complaint about Smolder/Chopster, is that there's no good way to arrange Chopster's gunbarrel to NOT make it look like Smolder's junk.

PCC is really neat. Could Hasbro have done better combiners? Maybe, but I don't care. PCC is just plain fun.

17. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Opened the Combaticon 5-pack. Everything is tight & the limbs lock on fine. The only thing that is a little loose is the one foot begins to close too easily (will cause faceplants) so I have to fiddle with posing. Once posed, he's fine.

18. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    i love em! got all five so far..definantly will be getting the rest :) 

19. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I have Bombshock and Skyburst. They're pretty neat. Just wish the limbs were a little more solid.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  20. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    I think I will be getting more of the 2 packs.I regret giving away Smolder. Probably will have to pick him up again.