Pow-R-Fuel Usbcell Battery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gryph, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
  2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

i needs me sum of that.

3. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

if it wasn't $20 for 2 batteries i'd be all over those.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    A silly gimmick that costs too much - just get a USB charger if you REALLY need to use USB.

And since the actual cells are smaller to fit in the USB connector, the battery life likely sucks compared to a normal rechargeable.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  5. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    You just perfectly described half of the Transformers toyline.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Seen these before, still don't understand the point. A regular battery charger with four batteries is about half the price. I don't see that these things have any advantage, especially as each one will take up a USB port, whereas a single USB charger charging up to four batteries would take up one port. I'm adding this one to the "people will pay extra for pointless gimmicks" list, where it can join things like the iPod.

7. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Aha! So that's where they went. I saw these about a year or so ago from a company in Hong Kong. (Their batteries are used in a lot of remotes and toys. GP Greencell. They were used in Hasbro toys until Hasbro started using these Pow-R-Fuel batteries.)

GP had USB batteries then ('07-'08), and they were even more expensive than this one. I'm not surprised they chose Hasbro as the first US seller.

I'm betting they make the PRF batteries for them now. (The non rechargeable, heavy duties you find currently.)

I'd be interested in something like that, especially with a digital camera, but you can find cheaper batteries that do the same thing, with or without USB charging, for a hell of a lot less, and some of them recharge within 20 minutes or less. I'd bet these suckers take a good 8-12 hours. (One of the things I hate about rechargeable batteries...)

EDIT: I stand corrected. GP does make batteries, and mainly heavy duty for toys and remotes. The USB cells are made by Moixa Energy. They have a site, here: http://www.usbcell.com/

....I wouldn't mind having a cellphone battery like that. That way I'd have a backup when the original goes dead and needs charged.

...but you're kinda shit out of luck in that department too... you need the phone to charge the original battery, and you can't do that if the USB cell is in it at the time. You can buy an external charger for your cellphone battery, but those are expensive.

Hmm. I guess USB cell batteries can't really do anything for me. :( 

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I got a set of those about a year ago. Expensive for what it is, but I wanted to give an unusual gift.

9. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    that might be handy, and shouldn't be that difficult to do. The EU decreed microUSB as the standard charging port for all future phones in Europe(and I imagine most of those phones will be sold unaltered in the US and elsewhere). Not exactly what you're talking about, but it should make it a lot easier to keep phones charged in different parts of the world.

Anyway, I think it's high time they came up with new slimline battery standards for phones, cameras, media players etc. Should be able to buy replacements as readily as AAs.