Minor/Repaint: POTP Optimus Prime MODS

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by GMANPRIME, Feb 14, 2018.

1. GMANPRIME

GMANPRIME till my collection is done

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Hello everyone! I'm new here and I thought I'd post my POTP Prime mods as I have done a few things to this figure and have few more things planned. If you're comfortable with an xacto blade and a figure meeting then I highly recommend this. First the Matrix, pop out the orange piece and cut off the squared edges with the knife and sand. I had to repaint my orange because my blade slipped and scuffed the paint, besides the blue on mine was already kinda bleeding through, then cut the two bars of plastic that were on either side of the Matrix in its square shape out. Then put the Matrix back in and trim the excess plastic from the titan knub that is the head on all the titan master figures to make it flush to the main body. I glued in my orange matrix center as I have no intention of swapping it out. I also sanded all the faces of the matrix very lightly so that it would be easier to put in and take out of Primes chest and applied silver sharpie to the panel lining and then a coat of mod podge to prevent rub of the new orange and the silver which required more sanding to make it fit afterward. I also cut that strange long clear blue piece coming out of the back of the Matrix to make it sit flush on a flat surface. Then for the head articulation. If you look down on the figure from above you will see a half hexagon shape in the outer Prime armor while the plate the Optimus head is on is square. So if you try to move his head up the plastic on the armor bumps into the neck plate. So shave the neck plate down as shown in the picture and you will have full range of motion! I also applied silver sharpie to the Prime windshields and the Pax windshields, the gun ribbing and the grill all of which were sealed with mod podge. WARNING I SCUFFED MY FIGURE'S FACEPLATE WHILE DOING THE NECK MOD AND HAD TO MAKE A NEW ONE FROM FOIL TAPE COVERED WITH SILVER SHARPIE TO MATCH THE REST OF THE PLASTIC AND MATTE COATED WITH MOD PODGE! BE CAREFUL! I plan to paint the upper lights as seen on the TRU MP-10 in yellow as they were omitted on this figure. I also need a new shoulder logo, raised if possible, if anyone has an idea for that please let me know! If you do end up doing this please post your results here along with any of your own custom mods!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

Nifty! Sorry to hear that you damaged the faceplate. Interesting mods that you made, especially the Matrix. Nice job dude!

• Like Like x 1
  3. GMANPRIME

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Haha yeah I was pretty angry when I saw the scratch! I only have two leader class figures cause those things aren't cheap but got lucky and found it at only 45 bucks instead of the usual 50 or 60 i see them going for so after a deal like that on this figure it was pretty frustrating. Thanks for the reply glad someone enjoyed my mods!

• Like Like x 2
  4. King Glurch

King Glurch The Frenchiest Fry

YouTube:
    This is really cool. I really like the Matrix mod, I might have to try that if I ever get him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Reprolabels (Toyhax), recently started making raised, 3-D type stickers. Not sure at the moment if they do the standard Autobot/Dexepticon symbols.... but I got the set they made for TR Soundwave, and it includes some raised, textured stickers for the "speaker grills" they're amazing. Feels like a real "boom box".

Regardless, I replaced my POTP shoulder emblems with good 'ole standard white backed Autobot symbols, and it's already a huge improvement over the thin, shiny, misaligned factory stickers.

Nice mods man!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. GMANPRIME

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Cool thanks for the info I'll check it out!!! Thanks I'm glad you liked them!

• Like Like x 1
  7. GMANPRIME

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Awesome!! Glad someone might give it a shot!

• Like Like x 1
  8. GMANPRIME

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    UPDATE TIME!!! The logo is glued on with the classic look recommended by jametron. Thanks man! Got the hands colored blue, the arrows painted, the ties repainted, the headlights painted. Whoof whole lotta painting. I also found that the leader class TLK Megatron flame effects for into the rifle Prime comes with and looks great in pictures!

• Like Like x 2
  9. GMANPRIME

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Not sure the picures came through. If they did my bad. If not here they are!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  10. SuperOptimus

SuperOptimus High Commander & Chief Officer .Peacemaker.

Excellent ideas! I too like what you did with the Matrix.
    Keep up those skills, and keep up the great work!

11. GMANPRIME

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Thanks man! That's really encouraging! I'm glad that people like these mods.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GMANPRIME

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Quick question. Does anyone know if the blue on POTP Prime maches the TRU MP10 or the Takara MP10? My next mod to this guy are individually articulated hands and I wanted to see which kit to buy or if I should do a scratch build. Thanks!!!

13. GMANPRIME

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If it matches neither than can someone point me towards a close if not matching paint color? Thanks again!

14. jametron

News Credits:
    Hell yeah!!! The blue hands, yellow arms and chest (truck lights) details make a HUGE difference! I'd love to paint his fists blue as well... I'm just too afraid I'm not skilled enough to mask off the other areas enough and/or not pick a matching blue.

Kudos for accomplishing both, as well as all the other mods!

15. GMANPRIME

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Thanks man!! I think it looks a lot better too. I was able to find a VERY close match on the paint and it's acrylic so no masking required. :)  I'm hoping to pick it up myself in a little while. It's called tamiya x-4 blue. If you type that in on Amazon it'll pop up. I'm going to see if I can find a similar color at my Wal-Mart as they have a pretty...fine :/ paint section. It's not huge but it usually has enough for my color matches. I'll let you know if I find one and the name of the brand and color but till then tamiya x-4 blue is the best.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jametron

News Credits:
    Awesome thanks... however I don't trust me with a brush... I've done some decent work, but it's always been with masking and spray paint. Except for eyes. Back in the day, when you could take apart a head and get to the individual eyes, I would spray some paint on a piece of cardboard and dip a toothpick into it and paint them red or blue (in my world Autobots have to be blue and 'Cons have to be red)... other than that I spray. Like I said, limited skills! lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. GMANPRIME

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Hahaha dude that's not limited!! A bunch of people i know cant do stuff like that! I wish they still made the heads like that. It'd be handy for customs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jametron

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know it... the fact that most modern eyes are not separate from the head is too scary for me to try and paint... so TR Perceptor keeps his yellow eyes, POTP Slag keeps his red, etc... ☹️

19. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Typically excess paint is pretty easy to scrape off with a small flatheat screwdriver. I use acrylic which is very easily and forgiving for cleanup

• Like Like x 2
  20. GMANPRIME

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Hahaha hahaha I find myself trying to do eye repaints at least 5 times per eye. It's very difficult. I find that toothpicks work pretty well.